Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
PROCHARGER WITH NO CATCH CAN

Anyone running a procharger with no catch can? What are the risks other than not trapping oil before the intake?
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I ran mine for a year without a CC. I just recently added the MM wild for 1) venting as to not blow out my stock cheap-ass front seal and 2) the typical CC shit.

But to answer your question....unknown...sorry.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Jbanta1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
I ran mine for a year without a CC. I just recently added the MM wild for 1) venting as to not blow out my stock cheap-ass front seal and 2) the typical CC shit.

But to answer your question....unknown...sorry.
How's the catch can gonna help with venting? The pressure goes right back into the system with the stock setup. Also why not just add a breather to the oil cap instead of 400 bucks on a catch can with a breather on top? I understand getting the can to trap oil but for ventilation there are cheaper options aren't ther?. Not trying to start an argument or another huge thread on this subject im just trying to justify buying a 400 dollar can to collect oil
Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
I run the stock procharger setup. I like a little mist lubeing the top of trhe pistons. But I dont think any if much gets in there. Their is never any oil or anything for that matter that I can see in any part of the charger system. The filter does get oiley looking by the time its time to change the oil. The way the stock system works their is always always suction on the crankcase period. That seems to me the best case to keep the seal from blowing out cause it always has suction on the case. at least minum 15000 miles really more than that with no problems. Car will use about half a quart between oil changes and I run it till it tells me time to change it. It is romped on on a regular basis.
To each theoir own
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Biggest issue with the GenV engine is that being direct injected, there is no fuel being sprayed on the valves to cool / clean them. When running the intake valves get very hot, and if the air going by that valve has oil vapor in it, then the oil is going to stick to the valve. A lot.

Just google "LT1 Valve Coking"

The second issue, particularly since you are running boost, is that oil is combustable. Oil vapor is really combustable. Inducing oil vapor under boost = detonation problems. Detonation problems on cast pistons = broken ring lands.

For a centrifugal setup I think the MightyMouse Wild is a good setup as it is a catch can and a PCV breather all in one. Under vacuum it functions as a sealed system and lets everything collect in the can, but if there is ever and positive pressure put into the system, it will vent it to atmosphere.

the correct solution would be a completely sealed system with a vacuum pump to draw on the crankcase at all times, but it is a expensive setup and requires a lot of maintenance. Now the Terminator Mustangs used to actually come with a electric PCV pump, and I have thought about using one, but it was a not something Ford stuck with for a long time as they replaced a lot of them under warranty. The MMWild is kind of a 90% fix for 90% less work.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Kerry

I think the valve cokeing thing is not so much of a problem with the lt1 when useing the correct oil. Maybe some whith heads off can enlighten us. Meth injection will sure take care of that. We aint dirveing a volswagon lol
Old 05-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Kerry

if theirs any point in vac or boost that their is no venting thats a big problem and will almost certinaly result in the weakest link blowing out.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanta1983 View Post
How's the catch can gonna help with venting? The pressure goes right back into the system with the stock setup. Also why not just add a breather to the oil cap instead of 400 bucks on a catch can with a breather on top? I understand getting the can to trap oil but for ventilation there are cheaper options aren't ther?. Not trying to start an argument or another huge thread on this subject im just trying to justify buying a 400 dollar can to collect oil

Well for 1. The MM wild setup has a PCV. it does not vent back into the system. It's $100 more for the wild vs the std MM. 2. the Metco breather did not work well with the procharger. It sticks up really high and the procharger tube rubs it. if you try to rotate the tube out of the way...the air filter hits the hood and causes vibration and low RPM.

Killed 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
Jbanta1983

I think im Just to try the procharger setup and hope for the best