Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Have any 17/18 owners swapped stereo/head unit with 19+ version??

Curious if any 17/18 owners have swapped out their stereo/head unit with a 19+ head unit. I kind of dig the newer interface, but more importantly, the 16-18 head units are BUGGY AF when it comes to android auto and carplay. Afaik, my unit has the most recent updates too. I know we can't maintain all our functionality with any aftermarket setup (PDR, exhaust settings, etc), so I'm hoping the 19+ head unit will fix it.

Primary problem I have is that if I make a phone call with voice command, nobody can hear me (using AA - hey google, call <insert person here>), and I can't hear them (can't even hear it ringing); same problem when they call me. It dials/calls and answers fine, you just can't hear anything. I had the exact same problem in my '16 2SS (in fact, I got rid of the car in large part because of that), and now with my '17 ZL1 (and with multiple different phones). It will work *sometimes* IF I dial manually from my phone (select contact, then call), but even that breaks with some updates. Before someone says it, yes, I did have the same problem with carplay when I tested, not quite as often, but I'm not using a phone I can't stand regardless lol.
I do NOT have the problem with AA with the same phone in my '16 Suburban; works beautifully 100% of the time.

Anyone done it? Any idea if its feasible?
It's pissing me off that if one of my kids calls me while I'm driving, they can't hear me or me them...

Last edited by HoodCheck; 06-10-2020 at 10:10 AM.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Curious to hear about this as well and do the 19 and up ZL1 cars have upgraded head units with more modern features than the 17 and 18 ZL1s?
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
this may be it but gen5diy can deff update your HMI so check with them
https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...ade-8-screen-1
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
Curious to hear about this as well and do the 19 and up ZL1 cars have upgraded head units with more modern features than the 17 and 18 ZL1s?
No new features afaik, but it does have the updated interface. 2022 models are supposed to get wireless AA and carplay added.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
this may be it but gen5diy can deff update your HMI so check with them
https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...ade-8-screen-1
Don't need the nav update; mine has navigation, but I use Waze via AA for that anyways. I know where to find the 19+ head unit, I just don't know if it will be plug n play, as I don't want to kill the warranty. Thanks though!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
just call them and see if they can update your HMI to the latest firmware
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Hi, yes, i did it first in the world
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573804
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Thanks man! That looks like a SHITLOAD of work lol. But that does answer my question. Not sure it will be worth doing though, and looks like something the dealer likely would tell me to fk off about lol.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
HoodCheck

For reference, for the buggy behavior with the calls...I got it working again, for now...

I wiped my phone from AA and the car altogether, and wiped the reference to all my cars from AA itself. Added it back, same problem...
So I gave it another shot, but this time, while sitting there looking at the settings, I got the little pop up that I was connected to the wireless hotspot (the car, not my phone), and well, I don't use it, so I went ahead and disabled it. Then I did my next phone call test and BAM, it worked. So, I'm not sure if it was luck, or if the wifi hotspot in the car was causing the problem to begin with; all I know is that I readded everything a second time and turned off wifi in the head unit settings, then it all started working again...
Hopefully I just found the why...otherwise I'll report back saying it was dumb luck later
Old 06-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #10
CBren

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Sorry to go way off topic here, but can you please tell me what rims you're running on your Camaro? Those things are so sweet!!!
CBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:35 AM   #11
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBren View Post
Sorry to go way off topic here, but can you please tell me what rims you're running on your Camaro? Those things are so sweet!!!
Hi, there are two brands of such wheels. Mine were shipped from US, i think it is easy to find.
Devine luxury wheels.
Rosso wheels.
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote