Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Mag Ride Suspension Control Module Swap

I would like to do the full 1LE upgrade on my ’16 MRC SS but am hesitant due to the inability to reflash the MRC controller. I can’t find any info on how this package works without the reflash and I’m not willing to shell out eighteen hundred bucks to find out.
You can pick up used controllers on eBay for around $100. I seriously doubt that it’s as simple as unplugging the old and plugging in the new, however, HPTuners can copy your VIN into a newer model ECU and you’re good to go. If this can be done with the ECU, it seems that it would be possible with the Mag ride suspension controller as well unless the harness/plug configurations are not compatible.
Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a ’16 over to a ’17 & up MRC controller and if so, what is involved?
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Nope, not possible. If it had been that easy and possible GM would have offered it with the package.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
L78toLT1

You're probably correct, TJay74, GM probably would have offered it for '16's if you could swap controllers and make it work. I verified that all of the components that the MRC controller talks to are the same part nos. for '16 and '17 & up. The ride height control modules on the front and height sensors on the rear are the same as are all four struts. The control module is the only item with a different part number. It is remotely possible that GM didn't offer a package for '16's due to cost. The controller is $240 bucks. They weren't planning on owners picking up ebay controllers for under $100. It's still probably a long shot, but I think I'll call HPTuners and see what they have to say.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 01-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
You're probably correct, TJay74, GM probably would have offered it for '16's if you could swap controllers and make it work. I verified that all of the components that the MRC controller talks to are the same part nos. for '16 and '17 & up. The ride height control modules on the front and height sensors on the rear are the same as are all four struts. The control module is the only item with a different part number. It is remotely possible that GM didn't offer a package for '16's due to cost. The controller is $240 bucks. They weren't planning on owners picking up ebay controllers for under $100. It's still probably a long shot, but I think I'll call HPTuners and see what they have to say.

HP Tuners wont say a thing, they cant communicate with the MRC controller at all. DSC is the only company that has access to them and or offers a upgrade for the MRC controller.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
HP Tuners wont say a thing, they cant communicate with the MRC controller at all. DSC is the only company that has access to them and or offers a upgrade for the MRC controller.
Thanks, TJay. I'll check with DSC and let the community know what they have to say. I'm sure there are other '16 MRC SS guys out there who would like to upgrade to the FE4 suspension.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
L78toLT1

The only thing DSC can do is offer their controller. It's around twelve hundred bucks. That's a little much for me, plus, I am certainly not knowledgeable enough to self-tune my suspension without doing more harm than good.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
L78toLT1

Well, I checked with HPTuners just to be sure and Tjay74 is correct, they only have access to the ECM & TCM. The more I think about it, I can’t help but think the FE4 kit may work out well on my car without the reflash. If you compare my car with a stock ZL1, I already have equivalent wheels, tires, and brakes. My front/rear weight distribution with the blower is nearly identical to a ZL1 (I know the ELSD is heavier, but I’ve got GForce axles which make up some if not all the difference).
An admittedly over-simplified way to think about it is to consider the components individually and assume that each has roughly the same impact on handling/vehicle dynamics – I know this isn’t the case, but bear with me... Components factoring into the handling equation include:
Wheels & tires
F/R weight distribution
Springs & bars
MRC calibration
With my current setup (ZL1 wheels and tires, blower, stock SS MRC suspension) the first two of the above items are already effectively the same as a stock ZL1, which has the FE4 suspension.
If I add the handling kit, my car will be the equivalent of the ZL1 in all respects except the MRC calibration.
Anyone who has followed my many posts on this subject can probably tell that I’ve been trying to talk myself into adding the handling kit for a couple of years now. I think my latest line of reasoning is enough to convince myself to go ahead and try it. I’m sure I can pull it off and get at least half of my money back if I don’t like it. Can anyone see any major potential pitfalls in this plan?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
The only thing DSC can do is offer their controller. It's around twelve hundred bucks. That's a little much for me, plus, I am certainly not knowledgeable enough to self-tune my suspension without doing more harm than good.
And their controller values for the Gen. 6 Camaro suck, off the shelf.

I actually think that GM did a great job with their algorithms. If DSC would only offer their controller set to GM specs and just quicken the rebound reaction time to be quicker and inline with a performance coil-over, it would rock. That is all that is needed for the MRC to be as good as a coil-over.

MRC does a great job of keeping things smooth and controlled, but is still a bit lazier on the rebound stroke compared to a coil-over.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote