Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #701
sean7454

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Words of wisdom

It took me a couple of hundred track hrs to realise that it is much more fun learning the craft and getting faster by actually driving (ain't this THE point?!) vs modding. Much cheaper too (including residual value).

3 yrs ago i decided to change the strategy from a full blown trailer queen to a capable stock car with full warranty and havent regretted it. I am at the point of switching to a new car soon (part of the new strategy) and your vid brought a ZL1 back into my mind (again). Especially with an A10. So, thanks for that

Funny you should mention a high school bully with a Camaro, as a well driven gen6 Camaro is one heck of a bully: on a track! Enjoy your car and post more vids as your season progresses.
Cheers!

PS 230F for an A10 is that good or bad? I have no idea as i never had to monitor tranny temps.

I seriously considered the ZL1 1LE with the auto, but the ride (which is not painful) had me go toward the regular ZL1 because I thought I might be driving it on the street more. Had I to do it over again I might get the 1LE version especially since I could use my 20" SS 1LE wheels I bought as a spare set on it and do the regular Supercar 3 tires on it instead of the 3R's which last about 1 weekend only.

On the transmission temp, I'm not sure on this car. I know from towing that if you hit 230 on your truck transmission it probably won't last long. But perhaps this trans is engineered to handle that? I know that every 15 track hours I am supposed to change the fluid which for me is about 3 track weekends with Chin. I will be more than happy to take it to the dealership for this service as it becomes GM's problem if it blows up after doing that. Have to love that on-track warranty!!
sean7454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #702
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean7454 View Post
Sebring 1-5-20 with Chin.
Second session of the day, temp was around 52, car was making great power!

Best time 2:20.88 on stock tires and stock brake pads. Camber is at -2.7 front and -1.7 rear. Brembo HTC64 fluid.

Fastest lap begins around 7:40 min into the video

Great work man. That A10 is great for those laptimes!
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #703
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
I seriously considered the ZL1 1LE with the auto, but the ride (which is not painful) had me go toward the regular ZL1 because I thought I might be driving it on the street more. Had I to do it over again I might get the 1LE version especially since I could use my 20" SS 1LE wheels I bought as a spare set on it and do the regular Supercar 3 tires on it instead of the 3R's which last about 1 weekend only.

On the transmission temp, I'm not sure on this car. I know from towing that if you hit 230 on your truck transmission it probably won't last long. But perhaps this trans is engineered to handle that? I know that every 15 track hours I am supposed to change the fluid which for me is about 3 track weekends with Chin. I will be more than happy to take it to the dealership for this service as it becomes GM's problem if it blows up after doing that. Have to love that on-track warranty!!
Did ya have a dealer do an *extra* tranny fluid fill before your track sessions? Ya, a 5 yr track warranty is pretty sweet
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #704
sean7454

Quote:
Did ya have a dealer do an *extra* tranny fluid fill before your track sessions? Ya, a 5 yr track warranty is pretty sweet
I had the dealer check the fluid level because I have heard if your over or under on fluid it causes problems. My car was about 1/2 quart overfull from the factory. We warmed up the transmission, got it on the lift and pulled the top plug. When it stopped draining we plugged it back up.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:38 PM   #705
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
I had the dealer check the fluid level because I have heard if your over or under on fluid it causes problems. My car was about 1/2 quart overfull from the factory. We warmed up the transmission, got it on the lift and pulled the top plug. When it stopped draining we plugged it back up.
BTW are you going to be back out in March with Chin? Later this month I'm taking one of the other cars but plan to bring the Camaro for march... hopefully with better brake lines.. I had the feel of the brakes in this cars so I hope that will help.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:05 PM   #706
TrackClub

Quote:
Was this what GM recommends as a track setting?
Most dealers are clueless btw, so be forewarned.
Personally I don't know what a "track setting" is for an A10. And no manuals specifiy it either..
Usually less fluid means less cooling, but unsure in this specific regard.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #707
sean7454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
BTW are you going to be back out in March with Chin? Later this month I'm taking one of the other cars but plan to bring the Camaro for march... hopefully with better brake lines.. I had the feel of the brakes in this cars so I hope that will help.
Dave, I am going to try to do AMP and Road Atlanta that weekend in March. But I will most likely be at the Sebring event in April.
Agreed, the brake feel is the only bad part about this car. What brand brake lines did you get? I have the Phasetek ones but have not installed them yet.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #708
sean7454

Quote:
Was this what GM recommends as a track setting?
Most dealers are clueless btw, so be forewarned.
Personally I don't know what a "track setting" is for an A10. And no manuals specifiy it either..
Usually less fluid means less cooling, but unsure in this specific regard.
According the supplemental track specs for the A10 you are supposed to change the fluid after 15 track hours. I’m right at about that point right now so time to do it. And yes, 95% of dealers are absolutely clueless. Even if you show them the manual they disagree with you. Luckily the dealer I bought it from in Tampa (Ferman) has a service writer and a few salesman that all track their cars. They even sponsor Chin Track Days! So they know what they are doing. I highly recommend them.

Apparently what happens with this trans is if the fluid level is not exactly perfect the fluid cavitates and it overheats. It’s very sensitive to that.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #709
TrackClub

Quote:
According the supplemental track specs for the A10 you are supposed to change the fluid after 15 track hours. I’m right at about that point right now so time to do it. And yes, 95% of dealers are absolutely clueless. Even if you show them the manual they disagree with you. Luckily the dealer I bought it from in Tampa (Ferman) has a service writer and a few salesman that all track their cars. They even sponsor Chin Track Days! So they know what they are doing. I highly recommend them.

Apparently what happens with this trans is if the fluid level is not exactly perfect the fluid cavitates and it overheats. It’s very sensitive to that.
Thanks for the info (sorry for hijacking the thread and going off topic here). Hopefully those dealer guys will be able to tell ya if 230 is too hot or not for this tranny.
It may also make sense to ask this question on the ZL1 forum perhaps? Cheers!
Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #710
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
10/11/19 at PittRace Full Course
1:51:46 (lap starts at ~4:10 mark)
'17 ZL1 on Goodyear Supercar 3Rs, FEA suspension

I must say the Goodyear Supercar 3Rs are pretty amazing. They're cheaper than Hoosier R7s and offer a faster average lap (in my experience at least).

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #711
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post

I must say the Goodyear Supercar 3Rs are pretty amazing. They're cheaper than Hoosier R7s and offer a faster average lap (in my experience at least).
New record! Congrats!
Old 01-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #712
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
New record! Congrats!
Thanks! I was shooting for sub 1:50s this past season, but it just didn't happen. That last second and a half is hard to get.

I have a really good feeling about this coming season. There will be several aero, power, brake, and handling upgrades to the car before the next track day.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #713
sean7454

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post

That is one heck of a good lap time at Pitt...fantastic driving!
Old 01-19-2020, 04:45 AM   #714
miatatony

Drives: 17' V6 1LE
1:24.6 at MSR Cresson 1.7CCW in my V6 Camaro. Finally figured out how to do the overlay stuff, I'm slowly turning into a track rat lol.
First time running RE71R tires and they held up really well in ~40*F weather, they were definitely slippery on the out lap but they didn't fade, had consistent grip for the entire session, and they didn't seem to wear very much at all. Excellent tire for colder weather, but I already know I'll have issues with these come summer in texas...

Last edited by miatatony; 01-19-2020 at 04:59 AM.
miatatony is offline   Reply With Quote