Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
LONEWO1F

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Advice - Sinister Hood Adjustments UPDATE

Hey guys,

If anyone has tips for adjusting the Sinister hood, I'd greatly appreciate it. Ordered it from PFYC and got it in the other day. The shop called me this morning to come take a look at it. Long story short, two issues -
1. The hood fitment was really bad
2. They wanted to be sure that I was ok with an additional 6 hours of labor because it needed quite a bit of work.

The main thing obviously is the fitment. It's a little hard to see in the light, but basically one side we adjusted the hinge and got almost perfect. However, this made the other side raised quite a bit. And more importantly, a huge dip at the point of the hood.

Obviously I called PFYC and they didn't really have much advice but to put me in touch with the manufacturer. He told me that I was the first to ever have this problem (LOL - seen several threads here that say otherwise), but that if it was not fixable, he graciously offered to take it back and re-ship me a new one. However, he said these are all made the same and most likely it would have the same issue.

The technician thinks that if he takes the bumper off he can adjust it some on to help close the gap but he's not sure. He also hopes that there is enough play in the latch to hopefully close the gap at least some.

I attached some pictures. Other than the front, it's a little tough to see the way it sticks out on the side from the pictures, but is more obvious in person. Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue they were able to remedy. Any advice would be much appreciated. The problem we're having is if we adjust the back sides, it throws the front of the sides off. And the front, we're just not sure.

I know that there's been some issues with these hoods, and bought it thinking it would need some work. Obviously, I don't want it to have the huge red flag of aftermarket hoods when any eye can tell the fitment just sucks. Hopefully we can adjust it.
Attached Images

Last edited by LONEWO1F; 01-27-2016 at 04:59 PM.
LONEWO1F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Hope you get that fixed... but if you can't and it still looks odd, if you can,
return it... and I would highly recommend going with a Seibon hood. No
modification was needed, just some adjustments at the latch bolts (fine
tuning the hood fit by sliding it forward/backward etc.). It fit like a
glove...

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=35

Saw that post when i was looking for a hood and went with MPD1
Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
LONEWO1F

Very nice Spec, love your car.

And ya, I saw that thread too. I was hoping I'd have one of the good experiences. Cross your fingers for me
Old 01-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Spec
Account Suspended

Thanks brotha... but I am concerned that they could sell you something like that and get away with it. Send that pos back!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Sorry about that
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
LONEWO1F

We're having snow/ ice today and since it's the south, it shuts everything down. Won't know anything I guess until Monday

Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
LONEWO1F

well, quite a while later with a ton of adjustments including taking off the bumper and playing with it for about 5-6 hours we got it pretty decently lined up. Went ahead and paid for it to be prepped and painted (6 hours) but it looks like there is some issues with the sanding and painting so I'll have to take it back to the shop to have it re-done. The edges are INCREDIBLY rough, and even though they sanded and sanded, there's some spots they didn't do good enough.

Anyways it's dark out, but here's a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
LONEWO1F

Oh, also - I'm going to call PFYC and maybe talk to the manufacturer to see if there's anything I can tweak to reduce the hood flutter whenever I get north of 60 mph. It's not horrible, but I notice it. I know it's common with aftermarket hoods, fiberglass, etc.. but ya, that's pissing me off a little.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONEWO1F View Post
Oh, also - I'm going to call PFYC and maybe talk to the manufacturer to see if there's anything I can tweak to reduce the hood flutter whenever I get north of 60 mph. It's not horrible, but I notice it. I know it's common with aftermarket hoods, fiberglass, etc.. but ya, that's pissing me off a little.
Yeah, that hood lift would bother me to.

Looks killer though.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #11
Spec
Account Suspended

Looks MUCH better than it did... it actually looks good. Kudos to your body shop guys, and you for sticking to it. It can't be cheap to have all that modified for that hood.

To add, no noise with the Seibon CF hood at high speed. For the sake of others thinking about going with a Sinister or a Seibon... just wanted to mention it. This is a case of you get what you pay for, for sure...
Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
LONEWO1F

Thanks guys, it's definitely an improvement. Given everything, I can't exactly say I'm "happy" with it yet, but hopefully I get that way.

So anyone thinking about a Sinister hood knows - you might be lucky. But, if you're like me, you're going to have to pay much more than you thought for two things
1. Fitment like I said took hours of labor - it was not easy AT ALL.
2. The prep time for this hood is extensive. It comes VERY ROUGH on the edges and has imperfections throughout.

I really love the look though. Hopefully I can figure out how to make it stop fluttering.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONEWO1F View Post
Its not common on a MPD1 hood.

Glad for your sake they got it to fit much better
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
Its not common on a MPD1 hood.

Glad for your sake they got it to fit much better
I have no hood flutter on my MPD-1 COPO hood. Still using the stock hood latch.

Figment looks much better OP

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote