Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #71
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Those guys are slow and doing it wrong then. You literally said it was more involving to use the paddles and doubled down by saying it was less involving to drive the manual on PBIR, so not sure how i took anything to the next level.

To go to the next level lets do a shifting lap of PBIR in our heads. Starting out of T10: 2-3, 3-4, 4-2, 2-3, 3-2, 2-3, 3-2, 2-3, 3-2, 2-3, 3-4, and in that ZLE's case 4-5, 4/5-2. That's 12 or 13 shifts with only 1 extra for the ZLE (which may not be any faster than hitting the limiter there anyway) so not much point you have there with straightaway speed. Alot of people don't skip gears on the downshifts too so add in 2 or 3 extra shifts if you are doing it that way.

I get your point, was my auto boring and no fun on the track? Hell no, I just missed the manual so I went back.
Im with you on all that
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #72
bob13bob

Drives: dodge grand caravan, acura rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
Yeah, but manuals will probably return in EVs, believe it or not. Most manufacturers at the moment don't see room for more than one gear, but Porsche already came out with a two-speed EV. It's only a moment before we see 4-speeds, 6-speeds, or 10-speed EVs. But if they do bring back manuals, they probably won't be performance orientated as those days are long gone.
This won't happen. We might see more 2 speeds. Electric motor have much room range than ice. I don't we will even see a 3 speed. The birth of 10s is for efficiency reasons. Only way to pass mpg requirements is to have tons of gears so the car can run just as much power as needed. Bevs don't have this problem
bob13bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #73
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
You can admit you like the A10 more because you are faster in it, but telling yourself it is more involving is just lying to yourself.
That'd be either an in-it-to-win-it or a case of the excitement shouting so loud that the satisfaction cannot be heard . . .

The driver putting himself in a real "race mode" would be the first. Newer drivers who have only drag-raced or street-raced would be more likely to fall into the second category.

Norm
Old 02-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #74
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
65 here. I personally love to shift. The sound and feel of a V-8 running through the gears is how I grew up.
Not racing the car. Not wringing the crap out of it much.
Actually the Camaro is now the wifes daily driver. She loves a manual too. Because I need a big truck with square wheels or Ill lose my license quick.
But... The autos out perform the manuals now. That was never the case in the past in most ways but on the 1/4 mile autos were winning for decades.
Formula 1 went first to auto clutch. Anywhere that quick perfect shifts benefit performance the autos rule now.
In the past they were slush boxes. Slip.. power loss... heavy... sloppy shifting...
Now they are so good they have nearly made the manual obsolete.
But for pure street enjoyment of the car itself I only considered a manual.
My truck has an auto... If I was buying a Mercedes or some luxo cruzer of course it would be an auto.
Automatics were already superior on the drag strip in the early 60s with the torqueflite , the turbo 350 and turbo 400. The drag strip classes were separated for auto trans cars and manual trans cars for a reason.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #75
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
I don’t think you’d regret it. I went from an ‘18 SS 1LE & as good as that transmission was, the A10 is amazing. I was hesitant too, but after searching with no luck for a manual
ZLE I found an A10 locally & drove home with it after 1 test drive. I do miss banging my own gears occasionally, but no regrets here.

2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - 2" TSP catless headers, Pray Ported stock IM/TB, Rotofab dry, DSX FF kit, dyno tuned by Pray. SOLD
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #76
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Automatics were already superior on the drag strip in the early 60s with the torqueflite , the turbo 350 and turbo 400. The drag strip classes were separated for auto trans cars and manual trans cars for a reason.
Yes I didnt say it exactly that way but I am agreeing with you.
And one guy above said the steps were too wide in the m6 compared to the A10. And sure I agree with that as well. I drove heavy oversize equipment around for years. More gears are better when it really matters. Being able to stay right in the power band across more MPH is always better. Not having to clutch and shift is going to be faster.
But never the less. For just driving a V-8 muscle or sports car around on the street Ill take the manual.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #77
volnedan

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 6MT
Personally, I think you will regret it. Each time I dip into an automatic I get the clutch-itch after a year and find my way back into a manual. I tried to go with high performance cars, and still ended up back in a stick. My previous 2018 BMW 340i xdrive sedan is prob quicker to 60 than my LT1, but not nearly as much fun.

However, each person's preferences change with time. The older I get (turning 40 soon), the more I realize the manual cars will disappear in my future, so I want to enjoy them while I can. Hopefully there will still be options when I'm 60.
volnedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #78
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by volnedan View Post
Personally, I think you will regret it. Each time I dip into an automatic I get the clutch-itch after a year and find my way back into a manual. I tried to go with high performance cars, and still ended up back in a stick. My previous 2018 BMW 340i xdrive sedan is prob quicker to 60 than my LT1, but not nearly as much fun.

However, each person's preferences change with time. The older I get (turning 40 soon), the more I realize the manual cars will disappear in my future, so I want to enjoy them while I can. Hopefully there will still be options when I'm 60.
I am way over 60 and agree with you. I had a bolton 2016 2SS M6 but then on an impulse sold it in 2 days and bought a 2018 A10 ZL1. Loved it at first, but got bored with drag racing it. So I sold it in 1 day. Now I have a 2020 M6 LT1, and loving it.

Also the LT1 is faster than my 2016 SS by over a tenth! And so far stays right with mostly stock A10 Camaros and mostly stock Coyote Mustangs I have met at Atco.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #79
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Seven Reasons not to get a manual transmission:

1- A manual transmission is an anachronism, outdated technology.

2- Way too much work involved all the time, just to drive a car.

3- Slows the car down. Removes some of the car's personality.

4- Orthopedic surgery recovery, or just about any surgical recovery makes the driving experience shitty or downright impossible.

5- No remote start!

6- "Hey could you move my car for me?" "Sorry I can't drive a manual". That goes for lending it out to trusted family members as well.

7- The best for last, and this is a big one: two hands on the wheel are always better than one during code 3 driving!

Full disclosure, this was written for entertainment purposes coming from an "Only proper muscle car should be manual" guy that I used to be. Years ago, I sent my wife to the dealer to get an oil change while her left arm was in a cast and immobilized from rotator cuff surgery while driving our 1SS Gen 5 M6. I felt it would be good therapy for her. The service guys were like WTF is wrong with your husband?

Driving a manual transmission vehicle is a great mind-body neurofeedback activity. Definitely makes you a better driver overall. Standard shifting falls into the category of skills like riding a bike, waterskiing, swimming, etc once you learn you never forget.

Hey, I get it, some people love their 6 shot revolvers and Blackberry phones. Personally I'll keep my iPhone and my 15 round G19 semiauto.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #80
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post

4- Orthopedic surgery recovery, or just about any surgical recovery makes the driving experience shitty or downright impossible.

5- No remote start!

6- "Hey could you move my car for me?" "Sorry I can't drive a manual". That goes for lending it out to trusted family members as well.

7- The best for last, and this is a big one: two hands on the wheel are always better than one during code 3 driving!

Full disclosure, this was written for entertainment purposes coming from an "Only proper muscle car should be manual" guy that I used to be. Years ago, I sent my wife to the dealer to get an oil change while her left arm was in a cast and immobilized from rotator cuff surgery while driving our 1SS Gen 5 M6. I felt it would be good therapy for her. The service guys were like WTF is wrong with your husband?

Driving a manual transmission vehicle is a great mind-body neurofeedback activity. Definitely makes you a better driver overall. Standard shifting falls into the category of skills like riding a bike, waterskiing, swimming, etc once you learn you never forget.

Hey, I get it, some people love their 6 shot revolvers and Blackberry phones. Personally I'll keep my I IPhone and my 15 round G19 semiauto.
Haha, I was with you all the way till you mentioned Blackberry, the best phone ever made These android and iphone pieces of junk I now carry couldn't hold a candle to it. One's always gotta move on, of course, but some streets do turn out to be a dead end.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #81
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post

Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. People play with old 8-bit and 16-bit video games and have vinyl records. If something is good then age doesn't matter.

That sounds like another way of saying that automatic drivers are lazy, LOL.

I don't live a quarter mile at a time. I don't think a lot of us do. I drive for enjoyment.

Then I probably wouldn't want to be driving in general if it causes me severe discomfort, auto or manual.

5- No remote start!

Aftermarket solutions exist if you want it very much on a manual trans.

To be fair, if you can't drive a stick then I can't trust you as much as someone who can. And it's one more excuse I have to not let someone else drive the car.

Shifting a gear takes, what, half a second? Then your hands are back on the wheel. You aren't supposed to rest your hand on the gear stick as that wears out the shifter fork. Hilariously, I actually have friends with an auto who always put one hand on the gear stick - for absolutely no logical reasons.
Here are my rebuttals, just for fun. Full disclosure, I also don't have anything against anyone who drives an auto nowadays. Your car, do what makes you happy.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote