#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #15
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Hey guys, I am currently running Goodyear SuperCar3’s in OEM ZL1 / SS1LE size on the street and track. I’m satisfied with these tires for both applications, they stick pretty good on track and I can’t complain about the tread wear. I average around 5K street miles and 3 – 4 track days per set.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a dedicated wheel/tire combination for track use that would equal or better than the Supercar3’s performance at a similar overall cost? Cost is not my main consideration, but I don’t want to dramatically increase my tire budget. I typically have around $900 in a new set of Supercar3’s including mounting and balancing. I pick up old stock tires from TireRack and new take-offs from eBay
Used 18” Hoosier A7’s can be had for $500 + $120 shipping. I’m not sure how these would perform, or how many sessions they would be good for, but the price certainly seems right. I wouldn’t even have to pay for mounting and balancing as I could mount them for free at the auto club at work. I’m don’t do this with my current wheels as the ‘70’s vintage Coats tire machine we have would probably be rough as hell on my wheels. I wouldn’t worry about it with dedicated track wheels.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried the Hoosiers or discovered another wheel/tire setup that performs well on track. If there is not a better overall option, I will pick up a second set of factory wheels and tires for track duty. Only having one set is a mild PITA as it seems like my tires are always marginal for street duty, but still have at least one more track day in them. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
Well CURRENTLY I am running MS 4S on a square set up that includes APEX 19x10.5 SM10 wheels ET22. I DO actually rotate them and that helps ALOT with tire wear. I currently have 9000 miles on tires and roughly 14 - 20 minute track sessions and I have 70% tread left.

Now I WILL BE buying a track set up but it will be square as well with APEX EC7 18 x 11 wheels ET25 and Hoosier A7 tires sized at 315 30 18. Now my set up is helped quite a bit by the fact that I run -3.6 degrees negative camber on the front using VORSHLAG camber plates (I adjust them back to -2.2 degrees camber before leaving track). The REARS are adjusted to -2.2 degrees camber which I use at track as well as street .

The reason I am moving to 18's at the track is because you can readily get race scrub tires with 75% wear LEFT on them for about 100-125 dollars a tire in 18" sizes. Plus the car will handle better with 315's on the front and rear compared to my street/track setup of 305's. Lastly the 18's are lighter and they will also lower the car to the ground.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I bought a takeoff set of 19" gy3r's before thinking things through. Once I discovered the car would not fit in the existing enclosed trailer used for my sons C5 I sold the takeoffs and got some regular gy3's in 19" and bought some Apex arc 8's to put them on.

I now drive to the track (350 mile round trip) on the 19" setup and plan on using them for dd. They performed admirably at my first roadcourse with the car.

Going to keep my 20" stockers with rear r888r for straightline events for now. Those definitely don't wear well and are more costly to replace. Shipping tires anymore has become economically unfeasable for me. $60/tire shipping makes take offs less attractive.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:03 AM   #17
jamessw

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i just got a set of oem goodyear supercar 3 going to try them out with my 20" wheels for next few events and evaluate cost and grip to see if its worth it to maybe get a set of 19s and some s3cr for track days next year but i dont drive my car on the track much

michelin ps4s are a great street tire but not that good on track i did around 3-4 track events with them and alot of auto x days

Do you have more photos in better resolution? I would love to see them. And I also want to tell you about college essay writing service. Have you tried it before?

Last edited by jamessw; 04-22-2021 at 08:58 AM.
jamessw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #18
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Are you guys finding SC3's in 19" ZLE sizes for under $1k? It probably sounds like I'm a cheapskate but I'm really not. I'm just trying to figure out which wheels to buy. If the 3's and 3r's are both readily available in 19" ZLE sizes then it's a no Brainer. If the availability is not as good, I'm perfectly fine with picking up another set of oem 20" wheels
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessw View Post
Do you have more photos in better resolution? I would love to see them.

Yup i have tons of photos what are you looking for?
Old 11-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #20
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Are you guys finding SC3's in 19" ZLE sizes for under $1k? It probably sounds like I'm a cheapskate but I'm really not. I'm just trying to figure out which wheels to buy. If the 3's and 3r's are both readily available in 19" ZLE sizes then it's a no Brainer. If the availability is not as good, I'm perfectly fine with picking up another set of oem 20" wheels
I just missed out on the last available old stock 305/30/19 G3Rs from Tire Rack a couple weeks ago. They had to cancel my order and "Brad" told me that Goodyear is finally completely out of them. These were going to go on my 19x10.5 et27 square setup for next season.

Probably an indication that the old stock G3s will be out soon.

The G3s are more economical in 20" and the G3Rs are more economical in 19" because of the OEM sizes. Edit: G3Rs are never more economical, just meant cheaper in 19s

I would like to see a direct comparison between OEM G3s and 305/30/19 G3s, but who really wants 2 sets of the same tires
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #21
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I just missed out on the last available old stock 305/30/19 G3Rs from Tire Rack a couple weeks ago. They had to cancel my order and "Brad" told me that Goodyear is finally completely out of them. These were going to go on my 19x10.5 et27 square setup for next season.

Probably an indication that the old stock G3s will be out soon.

The G3s are more economical in 20" and the G3Rs are more economical in 19" because of the OEM sizes. Edit: G3Rs are never more economical, just meant cheaper in 19s

I would like to see a direct comparison between OEM G3s and 305/30/19 G3s, but who really wants 2 sets of the same tires
That's an interesting question. I'd think someone who can really drive the car at its limits could see a *slight* improvement by jumping down to 19s assuming you're getting lower rotational inertia in the wheel/tire assembly. Wouldn't be huge if it's anything measurable, but someone trying to compete might want the slight edge from that and the increased front lateral grip of the square setup.

However, I think for most people around here it'd probably be a slight increase to lap times if just throwing them on. In my experience you need to tweak your setup a bit to be optimized for a square setup, plus if the driver is using PTM the 19" square wheels (on the SS 1LE at least) don't seem to play as nicely with that and the eLSD as stock sizes do.