Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
CBren

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
So opened the hood and found this...

I'm assuming this is the reason for my extreme power loss. Can someone please tell me what this belt goes to? It looks like the thickest of the belts. Should I completely stop driving the car and get it towed to the shop this weekend? I'm unsure how long its been like this, but I've had power loss for about a month now, but I thought it was due to moving and the car being at very high elevation now but opened the hood for the first time in a while and saw this. Very concerning as I feel I've probably been driving it like that for a month or so, but can't be completely sure. Any tips or thoughts? Thank you.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9Sxpyin
CBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBren View Post
I'm assuming this is the reason for my extreme power loss. Can someone please tell me what this belt goes to? It looks like the thickest of the belts. Should I completely stop driving the car and get it towed to the shop this weekend? I'm unsure how long its been like this, but I've had power loss for about a month now, but I thought it was due to moving and the car being at very high elevation now but opened the hood for the first time in a while and saw this. Very concerning as I feel I've probably been driving it like that for a month or so, but can't be completely sure. Any tips or thoughts? Thank you.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9Sxpyin
Pretty much everything (not overly familiar with the ZL1 but I would guess that goes over the Supercharger pulley as well, so no boost), I would NOT drive the car another foot like that...

See Page 50 here: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...supplement.pdf
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
That’s the supercharger belt. That just happened. I don’t see how you could have driven it for a month like that. I’m sure it would have chewed the belt up.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
CBren

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
That’s the supercharger belt. That just happened. I don’t see how you could have driven it for a month like that. I’m sure it would have chewed the belt up.
The belt is a little bit chewed up but not much. I will try to get better pictures when I'm off work. But it would make sense it being off for a little bit because I was getting lots of power loss for the past month or so. I'd do a few 60 rolls with like Lexus and 5.0s and get beat. Also getting some lag in first gear. Got to figure out what's going on. I've got some stuff to learn for sure.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Looks like the belt for the supercharger. I’m really surprised you didn’t notice the boost gauge while driving around! I wouldn’t drive it to the shop to get it replaced unless you are real close. I mean if you have driving it that way for a month then it might not hurt it but I wouldn’t chance it. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
iwk2much

Drives: ZLI 1LE; 992 S; GLE 450, Denali HD
Belt was probably slipping for about a month and recently came off. You would think it would throw a code....
iwk2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #7
CBren

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Looks like the belt for the supercharger. I’m really surprised you didn’t notice the boost gauge while driving around! I wouldn’t drive it to the shop to get it replaced unless you are real close. I mean if you have driving it that way for a month then it might not hurt it but I wouldn’t chance it. Good luck.
Honestly man, didn't even notice it. I'm really convinced its been like this for a little while, but I agree the belt should be chewed the heck up. I used to spin in second gear for a month or so not even close to spinning, getting beat by stock 5.0s. Not sure if there is something more serious or just the SC belt that I found today. We're going to try and see if we can get it back on since I have a 24 hr shift today, but until then I'm not going to drive it far. I've been hearing the whine when driving, so assuming it will still whine without the belt on but if not then yeah It probably just happened.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
CBren

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwk2much View Post
Belt was probably slipping for about a month and recently came off. You would think it would throw a code....
Now that would definitely make sense. 100%. If it was slipping that could be the culprit for the power loss.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Probably just happened then if you have been hearing the s/c whine. Hopefully that’s the case! Oh yeah, don’t underestimate the hp of those stock 5.0 liter Coyotes as they are very fast and will give you a good run!��
Old 06-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
CBren

So the belt came off and this is the damage that was done to it. Is this belt to damaged to use? Even temporarily until I get a new one? Also included a video of the boost gague. Its in the negatives, not sure exactly what it pertains to. Drove it to the store and back going to see if i can get the belt back on shortly

http://imgur.com/gallery/lLieucb
Old 06-26-2020, 10:56 PM   #11
LT4Greg

I would not reuse that belt. Buy a new one.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:58 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBren View Post
So the belt came off and this is the damage that was done to it. Is this belt to damaged to use? Even temporarily until I get a new one? Also included a video of the boost gague. Its in the negatives, not sure exactly what it pertains to. Drove it to the store and back going to see if i can get the belt back on shortly

http://imgur.com/gallery/lLieucb
I wouldn't use the belt, you are risking other damage...

Boost gauge is in the negative because the intake manifold pressure on a Normally Aspirated engine is a vacuum vs. a positive pressure of a Forced Air Induction motor...

If you need to drive the car a bit, drive it VERY gently and you shouldn't cause any damage, just get a new belt ASAP...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:13 AM   #13
CBren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I wouldn't use the belt, you are risking other damage...

Boost gauge is in the negative because the intake manifold pressure on a Normally Aspirated engine is a vacuum vs. a positive pressure of a Forced Air Induction motor...

If you need to drive the car a bit, drive it VERY gently and you shouldn't cause any damage, just get a new belt ASAP...
Appreciate the help brother!

Gonna order a new belt now, and guess this gives me a reason to order a borla exhaust for her...or many a flowmaster...decisions
Old 06-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #14
CBren

Crap, sorry to bug you guys again but trying to find the OEM part number for the belt that got torn up a bit. Making sure I got the correct part #. Seems like its part #12668317