Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
SHERMAN

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Windage tray spacer and oil pickup tube alignment

Has anyone had a problem with spacing the windage tray for a stroker and having the oil pickup tube oring leak from improper alignment? Have low oil pressure on a forged 416 (about 12-13 psi hot idle 30 when cold mobile 1 0-50) and was certain it was a bad oring. Pulled the oring out and it is in one piece but was flattened on one side. Pick up tube bolt was loose as well. The builder spaced the tray with 2 thick washers at each nut totaling about 3/16"-1/4" didnt measure exact. About to order the mast windage tray but dont want to throw money out the window if its not needed. Thanks for any help.
SHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
You have to clearance the stock windage tray with a stroker because of the crank. You should only do enough so it just clears; otherwise you risk putting the pick up tube too close to the bottom of the oil pan which can cause oil starvation. Another option is to dimple the stock windage tray for clearance without spacers which allows the proper oil pick up tube to oil pan clearance.

In your case, it sounds like you caught the low pressure issue. Buy a new o-ring and make sure the o-ring is sealed to the pump before tightening the bolt (i.e. don't tighten the bolt to pull the pick up tube to the pump). You can install it with front cover of the oil pump removed if that helps.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
SHERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
You have to clearance the stock windage tray with a stroker because of the crank. You should only do enough so it just clears; otherwise you risk putting the pick up tube too close to the bottom of the oil pan which can cause oil starvation. Another option is to dimple the stock windage tray for clearance without spacers which allows the proper oil pick up tube to oil pan clearance.

In your case, it sounds like you caught the low pressure issue. Buy a new o-ring and make sure the o-ring is sealed to the pump before tightening the bolt (i.e. don't tighten the bolt to pull the pick up tube to the pump). You can install it with front cover of the oil pump removed if that helps.
Thank you, in your opinion is the mast tray worth the $ or will dimpling the stock one work well enough? Don’t really want to use the spacers only because the oil pick up cannot be pushed into place by hand with out the bolt to pull it in with the spacers in place. It’s not so much the $ for the tray as it is the wait if I’m being totally honest. Spring is in the air
Old 03-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Dimpling the stock one is the way to go. Recently built a 383 stroker out of my 5.3L for my truck, and that is exactly what I did.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Used the mast windage tray and tuner had to alter it more clearancing with a dremel it also.... High volume here never get as low as 30 unless its idling on 100 degree day mainly in the 40 idling range ...And I use driven racing ls30 made specifically for modified LS engines not just what ever....as that is not what the engines oiling system is made for a 5w30.......but then again I also do a break in with br30... which BTW is included in all sold engines made by TSP. LS engines have trouble getting oil topside as a noted aspect so using the right oil etc is big time and so I use the best. No substitute for somethings because it worked on whatever. Using stock tray with washers done by many but not the best way to go....think about it washers ...denting, ......but then again the deal is I am a 428 and not 416 so I may have required a little extra to make sure and ? but its not like a crank scraping windage tray just more for splash IMO and improved racings windage tray is meant for stock cubes last I knew. Good Luck

www.drivenracingoil.com/ they have bulletins and articles to inform. Their oil comes with MPAO and is ahead of the curve with information always in advance of developments in the oil world.

Last edited by christianchevell; 03-25-2018 at 09:54 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
When I did mine I used spacers and still had to tweak the pickup tube. Check pickup tube clearance from the bottom of the pan when installed. Make sure you install the proper ring as there are 2 designs. Waste of money for the windage tray. Just use spacers and verify clearance. Take your time so you don’t end up having to disassemble it again...
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Spacing the stock tray is fine as long as your tweak the pickup a little as mentioned, so that it the tube sits flush.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
SHERMAN

Thanks guys
Old 05-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
suprchrgd

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Anyone have pics of how the oil pickup tube is to modified after raising the Windage tray?
Attached Images

505/465: 416 stroker, landspeed stg 3 heads, 10.5 compression, btr stg 3 stroker cam, E85, kooks 1-7/8" headers,k&n intake,vmaxx tb,mgw,rxt,bmr 1.5" drop springs,bmr poly cradle bushings,bmr toe rods,bmr trailing arms,bmr uca,bmr diff bushings
suprchrgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchrgd View Post
Anyone have pics of how the oil pickup tube is to modified after raising the Windage tray?
I have always just spaced the tray with 3 washers. When I bolt the pick-up in, I make sure I seat the O-ring and torque that bolt down first, then I torque the leg. I have never had any issues with oil pressure doing it this way.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
suprchrgd

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I have always just spaced the tray with 3 washers. When I bolt the pick-up in, I make sure I seat the O-ring and torque that bolt down first, then I torque the leg. I have never had any issues with oil pressure doing it this way.
Thanks! Pretty much what I ended up doing. I was also able to get about .400 between the oil pan and the pickup tube. Not sure I will be able to swap out the oil pump without dropping the oil pan, if I ever need to replace it.
505/465: 416 stroker, landspeed stg 3 heads, 10.5 compression, btr stg 3 stroker cam, E85, kooks 1-7/8" headers,k&n intake,vmaxx tb,mgw,rxt,bmr 1.5" drop springs,bmr poly cradle bushings,bmr toe rods,bmr trailing arms,bmr uca,bmr diff bushings
suprchrgd is offline   Reply With Quote