Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-13-2020, 11:41 PM   #1
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Dipstick

Can someone recommend an aftermarket dipstick that can be read with ease?
The stock version in the ZL1 (2017) is the worst iteration i've ever had in all of my cars.

Last edited by donaldp; 07-14-2020 at 12:01 AM.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I also would like to buy a nice flat metal dipstick, like the kind that have worked well for decades in other cars. The wire dipstick in this car is absolute shit. My 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has this type of dipstick. Terrible.

Last edited by Mark R; 07-14-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
2ltrgsr
AXLERODZL1

Drives: 2019 Riverside blue ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
Can someone recommend an aftermarket dipstick that can be read with ease?
The stock version in the ZL1 (2017) is the worst iteration i've ever had in all of my cars.

Man i was just getting frustrated with trying to read that damn thing yesterday!!
103 TB
Lingenfelter Lower Pulley(9.17)
1 7/8 ARH headers and Exhaust
Meth injection(single nozzle)

733whp/788tq
2ltrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I admit, it could be easier to read, but at least it has one, unlike newer BMWs....
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I admit, it could be easier to read, but at least it has one, unlike newer BMWs....
This..is true.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
It takes a bit of an effort, but what I do is be sure the car has set in the garage over-night. I then pull the dipstick and wipe it off. I then set the dipstick on the side for about 10 minutes. This gives everything a chance to drain down. I then reinsert the dipstick, leave for XX seconds and then pull. This usually gives a better reading. It is a bit of a pain, but it seems to give me a reading fairly consistently. (someone else posted this method and I flat stole it)
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
It takes a bit of an effort, but what I do is be sure the car has set in the garage over-night. I then pull the dipstick and wipe it off. I then set the dipstick on the side for about 10 minutes. This gives everything a chance to drain down. I then reinsert the dipstick, leave for XX seconds and then pull. This usually gives a better reading. It is a bit of a pain, but it seems to give me a reading fairly consistently. (someone else posted this method and I flat stole it)
As did I
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I posted about this a while back and it seemed everyone liked the new style dipstick.

I, for one, do not. As it was mentioned, my thing about it is how easy it is for it to touch the side of the tube as you pull it out and gain some extra oil fluid on it or lose some. You can see how much fluid is there but is that is what is really in the oil pan?

I've just dealt with it and haven't really looked into getting another one.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
Mark R

Quote:
That is an effective work-around for something that could be easily solved by simply having a flat metal dipstick with cross-hatches on it.

I wonder what they were thinking when they adopted this dipstick. "Hey, this new dipstick is harder to read both hot and cold, and offers only disadvantages to our customers. Let's use it!"
Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Have to give that a try! Thanks.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Mark R

Well, I looked for a replacement dipstick, and now I kind of see why they went with the wire unit. Look how convoluted the dipstick tube is. It would probably be quite difficult to get a flat metal dipstick to go down that rabbit hole. Still, the part that one reads the oil level on should be a little longer.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Who you calling a dipstick????

LOL!

I also use the pull out, wipe, let sit for a few, THEN back in to get an accurate reading. Seems to work ok that way and is a minor inconvenience all considered.

I agree with above, a normal flat metal type would not work in that tube.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
69pro-touring

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Dipstick

I guess I'm one of the few that likes this style. I've always found it easy to tell the level on. I also always check about five minutes after bringing the oil up to operating temp, and definitely after letting it settle post oil change.
69pro-touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
(This is in the ZL1 section but technically applies to anyone without the 2.0T engine)

Yeah, I would prefer the normal flat type dipstick, which has always been a lot easier to read.

The shape of the tube is a problem here, and most of the tubes with a flat dipstick are also wider. Not sure if one would work in a thinner tube.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote