Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #15
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I never once mentioned stock ss tires or 1le tires, so I dont know where that question came from, lol. But if I had to guess from magazine times, those two are close to the same grip lvl for 0-60 times, as the times between the two were nearly identical. I do not have any experience between those two sets, my .02 were strictly talking about ps4s capabilities hooking from a dead stop. I've been to the vegas drag strip and one near pheonix both in the middle of summer and couldn't hook up there either, even with a prepped surface, and that was before full bolt ons as well. Unfortunately, i never tried the stock runflats on a dragstrip, so I cant compare the two.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:50 AM   #16
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I've been to the vegas drag strip and one near pheonix both in the middle of summer and couldn't hook up there either, even with a prepped surface, and that was before full bolt ons as well. Unfortunately, i never tried the stock runflats on a dragstrip, so I cant compare the two.
what did the car run? when mine was stock i sidestepped it from 4700 on a prepped track and it bogged, bucked and all but died.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:18 AM   #17
Booher

Not very well in all honesty, lol, I couldnt stop from spinning or I would bog the launch. 12.8 was the best I could do, and I left the line around 2000 rpm. Not my proudest moment hah, didn't even make it on the fast list. Had a rotofab, axleback, and ps4's on at the time.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #18
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
straight line...? throw a set of drag radials on it. the goodyear sc3 tires hook hard but only in 5% of the scenarios, the rest of the time it’s too early in the day, too cool, raining, or literally anything and everything else that can cause trouble.

but that 1 time you go out at the end of a summer day and clean them off before a 0-60 hit... you’ll be impressed.
That's all very true.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
I beg to differ, although ps4s are amazing for turning and going around a race track. They are not very good for launching or the dragstrip. I constantly have trouble not spinning the tires from a from a dead stop, and many others on the forum have said the same thing. Im full bolt on, so nothing too crazy power wise, with 295's in the rear. I suggest going to the wheels tire section, or dragstrip section and doing a bit more research. R triple 8's seems to have a much better review for 0-60 times. I just don't want you to do what I did and spend nearly $1700 for tires that weren't made for what you are wanting.
Yes! Most people hear seem to look thru a "track" lens, rather than a "drag" lens.

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes, they just don't overlap.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #20
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I would agree that in the basic OE sense these are track cars and not drag cars. One thing you see with Dodge is that they focus on drag strip and they do that quite well in OE terms. There's a real reason you never (mostly never) see a comparo that involves a Dodge on anything but a strip.
To a point the camaro isn't a strip car unless you turn it in to one at good expense.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #21
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
I never once mentioned stock ss tires or 1le tires, so I dont know where that question came from, lol. But if I had to guess from magazine times, those two are close to the same grip lvl for 0-60 times, as the times between the two were nearly identical. I do not have any experience between those two sets, my .02 were strictly talking about ps4s capabilities hooking from a dead stop. I've been to the vegas drag strip and one near pheonix both in the middle of summer and couldn't hook up there either, even with a prepped surface, and that was before full bolt ons as well. Unfortunately, i never tried the stock runflats on a dragstrip, so I cant compare the two.
The question was posed by the OP, who stated he had just bought his first Camaro and wanted more traction for take off. Given it's his first Camaro, and he didn't state that he had aftermarket tires or rims it's reasonable to assume he's working with OEM SS tires and rims. If he upgrades to OEM 1LE tires and rims he will get better traction for takeoff. That's why I said he could simply replace the SS stuff with 1LE stuff.

Interesting that you never compared the stock equipment, but caution me about 'spreading misinformation' about switching to 1LEs. I've launched multiple times with both stock SS tires and rims, and stock 1LE tires and rims and my observation was that you hookup better with the 1LE equipment than with the SS equipment.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #22
Booher

You're still on this, lol, jeesh! I've said it multiple times now, my post was just talking about the ps4 performance from a dead stop. My response was about people recomending ps4 tires for launching, which now people have agreed with. I never once mentioned the tires you were talking about, untill you kept bringing it up so there was no need to compare. Just to clarify again, my response was telling the op the ps4s are not the tire for hooking from a dead stop period. Did I ever say your name ,calling you out, saying that I was specifically talking to you? Did i mention the stock tires or 1le ones? Heck, you and I weren't even talking about the same tires.The answer to both is a hard no, so I don't know why you took it so personally, especially when my post specifically said ps4 tires multiple times. So please explain to me how I said you specifically, Wyzz kid, that you were the one spreading misleading information? But as an argument, if the 1le tires are sooo much better, why have multiple magazines reported a .1 second difference between the stock ss and the 1le with 0-60 times. Are they all wrong because you (one person) feels that they are so much better than the multiple tests that magazines have provided? I dont argue with opinions, only facts. The ss tires vs 1le tires have been debated many times in this forum before, and a simple search would show you that. You keep replying with responses to things that I have definitely not said to support your argument.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #23
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I have ps4s and left my DRs home when I went to the strip today. it’s a slip and slide!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #24
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I just bought a set of rear 305 30 20 Nitto NT 555Rii which was prompted by the new found power of my Edelbrock eForce supercharger. I had Nitto 555 G2s on the back and they just weren't acceptable. With those, first and second gear were almost useless. The NT 555Rii tires match the front 555 G2s perfectly and I now have decent traction. The plus is, if I ever get to the drag strip in decent cool weather, I don't have to bolt on drag tires and wheels.

DOT approved drag radial tires come stock on some of the Dodge 700 hp plus cars and it makes sense to me.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #25
Booher

So you can hook from a dead stop with the 555ri's? I've been looking for a good tire and if you can get traction with those I can definitely get some, lol! Also, how was the cost?
Old 07-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #26
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
So you can hook from a dead stop with the 555ri's? I've been looking for a good tire and if you can get traction with those I can definitely get some, lol! Also, how was the cost?
I couldn't get very good traction with them when I was stock. But you may have better luck. Nittos have never worked well for me, but they do for some others, it's weird. I'm also pretty sure ParisDude isn't smashing the gas to the floor from a stop.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #27
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
https://www.nittotire.com/competitio...llreviewspage/

Awesome street tires, dont drive the in the rain.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #28
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
https://www.nittotire.com/competitio...llreviewspage/

Awesome street tires, dont drive the in the rain.
They are an improvement over 1LE OEM tires...guaranteed and that's what I had on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
I couldn't get very good traction with them when I was stock. But you may have better luck. Nittos have never worked well for me, but they do for some others, it's weird. I'm also pretty sure ParisDude isn't smashing the gas to the floor from a stop.
I did a 1.777 with 18 inch Nitto 555Rs on my 16SS. It dead hooked while slamming the throttle to the floor on my way to an 11.8 ET.

Quote:
I did a lot of research and found price, to performance to looks, the Nitto NT555riis were the best option.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, traction, tread, wheels