Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Anyone made the switch to an A10 from an M6 or vice versa and preferred it better?

Hey guys, have any of you gotten a M6 ZL1 or ZL1 1LE (doesn’t matter which) and wished you had gotten the A10 instead? Have any of you made the switch to the A10 from the M6 or vice versa and preferred it better?

I hear a lot of folks say the A10 is great and responsive and always in the power band. I’m trying to decide between both transmissions and would like to hear your opinions.

I took a test drive in an SS 1LE M6 and then went and drove an A10 ZL1 back to back. Personally I had more fun in the 1LE from the manual transmission than I did in the ZL1 with the A10. I seemed to enjoy the manual in the 1LE better and had more fun with it but of course liked the faster performance of the ZL1.

These are just first impressions of the cars I had gotten during the test drives. Unfortunately, test drives at a dealership are short and very restrictive. Personally I feel the best of both worlds is to get an M6 ZL1 or ZLE for the performance but I am not sure if in the long run it could go the other way around and the M6 would be more of a chore then fun. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I had a an 18 ZL1 1LE M6 and at the same time the 19 ZL1 1LE A10. Both are fun. You have to figure out where will you use the car most and how. Most of my drives on the weekend are 159 round trips. So for me I need instant roll run/passing power. The M6 was fun around town.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I had a an 18 ZL1 1LE M6 and at the same time the 19 ZL1 1LE A10. Both are fun. You have to figure out where will you use the car most and how. Most of my drives on the weekend are 159 round trips. So for me I need instant roll run/passing power. The M6 was fun around town.
What is a 159 round trip?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
So for me I need instant roll run/passing power.
If you enjoy a manual you'll never get the same satisfaction with any auto.

I drove a manual for 18 years (400 hp FD RX-7) - but I don't miss it at all. Why? The 10 speed in track mode is very aggressive, it responds instantly - I would race anyone in a manual and can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't win. For me ultimate performance is what matters, plus being able to focus on braking and turn in without some of my concentration going to rowing and clutch manipulation. No regrets at all, the 10 speed just plain kicks ass and will run down M cars with their DCT. Just ran a newer M5 last night.

Footnote - the 2019 1LE auto set the better C&D Lightning Lap time by a significant margin.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
What is a 159 round trip?
79.5 miles ~~>
<~~79.5 miles
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
If you enjoy a manual you'll never get the same satisfaction with any auto.

I drove a manual for 18 years (400 hp FD RX-7) - but I don't miss it at all. Why? The 10 speed in track mode is very aggressive, it responds instantly - I would race anyone in a manual and can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't win. For me ultimate performance is what matters, plus being able to focus on braking and turn in without some of my concentration going to rowing and clutch manipulation. No regrets at all, the 10 speed just plain kicks ass and will run down M cars with their DCT. Just ran a newer M5 last night.

Footnote - the 2019 1LE auto set the better C&D Lightning Lap time by a significant margin.
The latest M5 is an A8. No more DCT in the M5. The F10 M5 was the last DCT.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
79.5 miles ~~>
<~~79.5 miles
Got it :-) Thought maybe it's a well know highway
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Got it :-) Thought maybe it's a well know highway
You are right. We should build it. The 159 loop. No speed limits.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
IntimidatorZ

Drives: 14 Silvy 1500 Z71; 20 Camaro ZLE M6
Along with what others have already said, will it be a daily driver or your fun car? For me I have my truck for my daily driver and my M6 ZLE for taking out on nice days for cruising, going to car shows, etc. If my Camaro was to be my daily driver I probably would have went with the A10 but since it's not, the M6 is much too fun to pass up. I understand the A10 is faster but it's more fun to shift my own gears. Lots of different factors to consider, rest easy though knowing which ever transmission you pick, you'll still have a wicked bad ass car!
IntimidatorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #10
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
My civic was an automatic and even in sport mode, it felt like it was always sluggish changing gears and not in the power band, so I was a little hesitant with the a10. However, it turns out I had nothing to worry about. The A10 is incredibly responsive and is always right where I want it to be. In fact, you would probably have to be Dale Earnhardt to out perform one of these modern computer controlled autos.

If you ENJOY manually shifting, then an automatic will never do it for you, however, if performance is your goal and you're not a professional driver by trade, I think the auto is the way to go.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:14 AM   #11
Hellphyre

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I test drove both an M6 and A10. I ultimately went with the A10. The car is a daily in a city known for lots of traffic (Dallas-Fort Worth). I track it often (member of a local road course track). It's no slouch on the course, and gets the job done. No delay, highly responsive, always in the correct gear, keeps power in the power band. There are days I'll miss using a clutch and shifting, but the benefits outweigh what I miss. I do not regret getting the A10.
Hellphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:05 AM   #12
Bosun68
One El E

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE M6
I went from a ‘16 SS M6 to this ‘18 ZL1 A10 and don’t really miss the manual. The A10 is buttery smooth when running up through the gears as each shift is quicker than I could make in that SS. Plus, when in traffic while in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin I know I made the right choice, too. I grew up on manual shift so it was hard to say goodbye to the clutch but every day I jump in the ZL1 and fire her up I’m reminded of why I enjoy driving her...instant power as the shifts crack off.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:09 AM   #13
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Mine is a M6 and I’m selling it bc I definitely want the A10. I absolutely love sticks and almost hate autos but I roll race and it’s my dd unless it’s raining. I live in Houston do lots of traffic but the stick does not bother me in that regard. The A10 is just a much better performer for rolls. Love my Zl1 but gunna get an A10 with a sunroof (another feature I 100% must have).
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #14
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I have the M6 and I love it. The power band of the supercharged engine, rev match on and 6 gears in my hand.... it’s just a great driving experience. My smile never leaves my face. I have driven the A10 and it is an incredible transmission. No question it is “quicker” than an M6. It is the only automatic transmission I have ever driven that keeps the driver engaged with the car. Amazing. So, although I prefer the M6, the A10 is no joke. It’s a blast in its own way.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote