Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #29
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Note that the Indy 500 is an ultra high perf summer and not a max summer, it's 1 lesser category. These can't be compared to a SC3 or PS4S. For the MONEY, the 500 is a fantastic tire, I ran a set on a Mustang pre-Camaro, but they will not compare to those tires. Money being the real caveat.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #30
SMRBB6

Drives: Camaro SS
Anyone have experience with apex v601? My sc3 is out its way out. Running 295 30 on 11" rim is safe? I do track my car twice a month.
SMRBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRBB6 View Post
Anyone have experience with apex v601? My sc3 is out its way out. Running 295 30 on 11" rim is safe? I do track my car twice a month.
Best way is to look up the authorized rim specs on Tire Rack for your specific tire, size, etc. Or tire manufacturer website. That way you know for sure vs relying on 2nd hand opinion regarding safety. Just a suggestion.
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I see it as this; the Firehawks are likely at the top of the budget summer tire category, really just a street tire that won't implode when faced with some track/autox use.

The Conti and PS4S are in their own class at the top of the summer tires, with the PS4S being that little bit better. A street tire that can do some track/autox work. Without a stopwatch, I'm not so sure the difference is all that noticeable.

The SC3 is really a track tire that is street legal. It's hard to compare it to the others because it was designed for a different purpose.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #33
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I see it as this; the Firehawks are likely at the top of the budget summer tire category, really just a street tire that won't implode when faced with some track/autox use.

The Conti and PS4S are in their own class at the top of the summer tires, with the PS4S being that little bit better. A street tire that can do some track/autox work. Without a stopwatch, I'm not so sure the difference is all that noticeable.

The SC3 is really a track tire that is street legal. It's hard to compare it to the others because it was designed for a different purpose.
Good analysis there. I enjoyed the 500s when I had them I recommend them for what they are.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #34
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:

+1!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #35
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

That's what I think as well. I brought my RX-8 to AutoX events before with Firehawk Indy 500. They are alright but they aren't exactly like true performance tires like RE-71R. They will handle anything I throw at the car on the street, though, especially given RX-8's low torque.

I am so far pretty impressed with the stock tires. It will handle anything the car throws at it. I may just go with another set when they wear out, but I may also reassess my use and get something more street-friendly like PS4S(Indy 500 isn't available in SS 1LE size).

BTW, Firehawk Indy 500 is known as Potenza RE003 outside of North America. There is a Potenza RE004 that already came out in other parts of the world. I wonder when they will be in North America and what name it will be under.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #36
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:

My thoughts exactly after 28,000 miles on two sets of Goodyears.
Awesome performance, but limited to warm dry weather, and don't seem to age well in a strictly street use in varying temps.
The Continentals are great on the street, but I wouldn't want to track with them.

The Goodyears are a real part of the package as far as the very high limits this car possesses.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #37
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

I agree.

That said, not sure why anyone would look past the GY... they are reasonably priced for the performance level.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #38
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I went with the Continentals for street only use.
Down grade in performance from the stock tires, but the trade off might make up for the lower performance.

They come in the 1LE sizes.
They are much quieter than the Goodyears which sounded like tires on a Jeep after 9000 miles.
They don't fling rocks and gravel all over my rear quarters every where I go.
I can drive in the rain without the pucker factor.
Fuel mpg seem improved.
Straight line traction might actually be better.
Tram lining all but gone, car goes straight down the road without fighting with you over every irregularity in the pavement.

Downside, they are less precise than the Goodyears. Might be the softer sidewalls or the fact the tires have actual tread depth versus the Goodyears mostly solid rubber construction. Not sure if I'm feeling the sidewalls flexing or tread squirm, but the Continentals are less direct than the Goodyears.

I've whipped the car around a curve and the tires hold, no indication of lack of lateral grip, but you don't have the same direct feeling you get with the Goodyears.

I wanted the Michelin PS4S's but backordered.
Such a good analysis. Wish I had the money for two sets of wheels and tires with the OEM Goodyears on one and the Contis on the other. Could not agree more with your statements.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #39
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRBB6 View Post
I thought about them for a minute, but there are better choices out there.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=248
Old 06-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #40
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
lol you must drive like an animal. My OEM tires have 12,500 miles on them and I am just now thinking about swapping just the rears, the fronts are good for another 5k or so.
14,300 on mine. Probably 4K or so left?
Old 06-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #41
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Not available but then it takes that long to google and know that.
You're routinely condescending dude. Thought I should tell you in case you simply were not aware.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #42
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
when i first got the car i really didn’t like the goodyears. i looked at the firestones and contis both pretty hard. after putting almost 20k on the original set of sc3s, i will definitely be putting another set on the car. and before you say it, no, i don’t pfoot around. the car gets driven hard pretty much every time i take it out. weekender, no rain, no cold. winter gets here it sits in the garage. i’ve done several burnouts, made several passes at the drag strip, countless digs on the street and several spirited drives. they’re holding up great. gonna run them until i see chords.

one of the back tires has had two (that’s 2) tire plugs in it for over 10k miles. oh the humanity.