Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I use #2 method, the car is probably faster and more effective in PTM modes but definitely more fun in comp mode.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
It wouldn't make sense to me for GM to engineer the car to be better on track in Sport:Comp mode compared to Track:PTM.
Why not? Don't forget, if u set all the parms via infotainment you're in effect in Track mode regardless of whether you use PTM choices or not.
PTM is there to dole out traction based on how aggressive you wish to be. Look at it this way:
PTM Sport 1 retains StabiliTrak but limits power. Comp mode is better as it also retains StabiliTrak but gives you full power. So it SEEMS like Comp mode is like a Sport 1 but with no power restriction.

EDIT: IMO it is a very fast setting yet includes a margin of insurance. And it most certainly be faster than PTM Sport 1 and perhaps even Sport 2 (while being safer). HP manual suggests that to get the most out of PTM one should just mash the gas and let PTM dole it out based on a given algorithm. This is the fastest way with any PTM on. Personally I like to be able to modulate it myself.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #17
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I love using Competition Mode for driving on the street. Allows me to have fun (hand the back end out, etc.) with still having a safety net. The PTM modes, to me, work great on track. I consider them the "serious" modes as they're designed to get your ass around the track with no "fun". I'm always in PTM Race mode when on track and it works great.

One big thing I don't agree with the manual about is the whole mash the gas and let the PTM figure out for coming out of corners. I have tried that and I was for sure faster being much smoother and progressive with the throttle inputs coming out of each corner.... and that was in Race mode.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
SO yall are saying comp mode is more track worthy than Track: PTM Race???
Competition mode is available in BOTH sport mode and track mode. It allows for such things as launch control to be active. Only difference is in sport mode it keeps stability control on, at a lesser threshold, while when used in track mode it turns stability control off and uses the PTM modes in it's place. So depending on your choice of PTM mode, you may use more nannies, or no nannies...at least that is my understanding of it.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Competition mode is available in BOTH sport mode and track mode. It allows for such things as launch control to be active. Only difference is in sport mode it keeps stability control on, at a lesser threshold, while when used in track mode it turns stability control off and uses the PTM modes in it's place. So depending on your choice of PTM mode, you may use more nannies, or no nannies...at least that is my understanding of it.
That was mine too. I thought instead of having to hold the TC button to turn everything off that I just hit it twice and then arrow all the way to the bottom option which I thought was all nannies off. But was quicker then 5 seconds to do.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #20
Th3Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I couldn't get it into Competition mode when in Race mode. When I press the TC button twice in Track mode it brings up the PTM menu selection.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #21
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
... HP manual suggests that to get the most out of PTM one should just mash the gas and let PTM dole it out based on a given algorithm. This is the fastest way with any PTM on. Personally I like to be able to modulate it myself.
That's the entire point of PTM, to flat foot the throttle on corner exit and let the software proactively meter out torque.

Don't want the excellent help of PTM? Go "Full Off" with the press and hold for 5 seconds.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #22
Th3Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
That's the entire point of PTM, to flat foot the throttle on corner exit and let the software proactively meter out torque.

Don't want the excellent help of PTM? Go "Full Off" with the press and hold for 5 seconds.
Fully understand that. But when you actually do that the computer isn't exactly the smoothest when it comes to reapplying the throttle. I mean I did it and I was able to get the car to be smoother coming out of corners when I was progressive with the throttle.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
I couldn't get it into Competition mode when in Race mode. When I press the TC button twice in Track mode it brings up the PTM menu selection.
You have to hit the TC button while in sport mode. So arrow down once from tour mode to sport mode then tap the TC twice. It will then show you competition mode.
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #24
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
Fully understand that. But when you actually do that the computer isn't exactly the smoothest when it comes to reapplying the throttle. I mean I did it and I was able to get the car to be smoother coming out of corners when I was progressive with the throttle.
YMMV, I'm sure. It works amazing for me, I've been nothing but impressed with PTM's smoothness.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

Yep. PTM is very smooth in it's engagement, and the primary way it works is by limitng power through cutting engine timing on accel out of corners. PTM works great for drivers of all skill levels, though I love modulating the throttle myself too. The 1LE is a stable partner even on square tires with tc/esc "full off".
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #26
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
My option from track time.. flat foot mid corner PTM vs race mode driver's actuation of the throttle corner exit is still smoother.

Although I was surprised how smooth and fast the computer still exited it's still 90% as great as a natural driver's feedback & inputs. On the contrary we have to consider the PTM is 1000% repeatable all day vs possible human error at any given time......
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #27
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
It is all about the old definition of under vs oversteer and which end you hit a wall with
In PTM race you're good on exits, in Comp Mode you're good on entry to mid corner. Or there abouts in layman terms.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #28
Th3Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
You have to hit the TC button while in sport mode. So arrow down once from tour mode to sport mode then tap the TC twice. It will then show you competition mode.
If you look at the post #18 from SS 1LE, he stated that Comp mode works in both Sport and Track. I said that I couldn't get it to work in Track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE caSSper View Post
My option from track time.. flat foot mid corner PTM vs race mode driver's actuation of the throttle corner exit is still smoother.

Although I was surprised how smooth and fast the computer still exited it's still 90% as great as a natural driver's feedback & inputs. On the contrary we have to consider the PTM is 1000% repeatable all day vs possible human error at any given time......
Completely agree. The system does work great, I'm just saying that I tried it both ways and noticed that I was able to get the car to be just a little smoother. Not saying it was night and day difference or anything, but to me it was just noticeable. I honestly have no complaints. I've even used the Wet mode in the rain around town just to be dumb lol.