Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
6l80vs6l90 I have a dilemma

I’ve got a bit of a struggle going on in my head. Within the next few years I plan to turbo my car. I’m shooting for 650-700+ at the wheels. At this point I’m wanting to pay the balance due on the car down more while I gather the parts a little at a time (suspension mods included). With that said I’ve already got a truck 6l90 with less than 100,000 on it that I had been thinking about converting over to the camaro tail housing and tail shaft. When I do the mods my plan was to have the 6l90 freshened up and install it. The problem is I got to looking at how much just the cores on these things go for let alone functional units, and it made me think I could sell the tranny and cover some of the mods I want to do. Would I be better off to just build the 80 that’s in it and sell the 90 or the other way around? I don’t see my self going Much over 7-750 ever, but we all know how that goes. I’ve already had offers for the tranny (which I got for free, long story I’m a parts hoarder) from $850-1000. That would near cover the cost of the cam swap or suspension mods alone. I’m budget building it as I go like most on here do. Any suggestions?
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Damn, thats a tough one.

You can definitely get the 6l80 built for your needs, but when you already have a 6l90 on hand? Most would say to build that.

Many would love to have a 6l90 in these cars. If you have the means and it wont cause any hardship, I would build the 90. But that's just my humble opinion. Other more experienced members in here will chime in.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
there are various vendors that sell prebuilt for $$$$ and core, try places more common say like Tick or etc...and then think about how your going to get it to the ground without scattering the rear.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
The cheapest path to reliable hp at those levels is trade for a ZL1. Add up the total costs for the whole drivetrain and brakes and engine upgrades and you'll see.
If reliability, resale value or cool factor and smog check aren't top concerns, slap on a turbo and go.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I would love a ZL1 but honestly I’ve always wanted an ABM 2SS with ground effects and this is the car I want to build. I totally realize this isn’t the cost effective way to go about things, I also have no plans to sell later. That said I do really appreciate the thoughts because your totally right a ZL1 is the best way to easily get to those levels.
I still haven’t decided what I’m going to do. I appreciate all the insights thus far
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote