Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Thoughts on Borla SType vs Stainless Works - Cat Back

I have a tough decision to make, without getting into the full details, here is the situation.

I have a Borla Cat Back System brand new in the box. It's the S Type axle back with NPP and the x pipe with AFM.

I am considering exchanging for the Stainless Works new Rebel cat back system that is also NPP and AFM.

I like the 3" pipe on SW vs the 2.75" on the Borla.

There are things I know about fitment and quality from both brands....

But would like feedback from my teammates on here

People that have actually used BOTH on this car would be awesome.

I would prefer substantiated reasons... Not just the Borla is the best marketing fluff. Hope you guys understand.

Last edited by jcastag; 09-07-2019 at 12:20 PM.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
jcastag

Nobody has any thoughts or feeback on this?

Anyway, I needed to find a Borla 60663 to connect the rest of the system and I believe I have. So I am leaning on going with the Borla system over the Stainless Works system.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I don't think many have experience with both to give you an answer. Majority just get axle backs. I have the Borla S-type axle back on my SS (non-NPP). I love it and would buy it again in a second.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I don't think many have experience with both to give you an answer. Majority just get axle backs. I have the Borla S-type axle back on my SS (non-NPP). I love it and would buy it again in a second.
any thoughts on why you went S Type vs ATAK? I hear the S Type has a deeper tone which I am a fan of.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Never heard of the rebel catback before from SW. Looking at the site it seems like they just recently released a Legend and Redline lineup which is news to me.

The following is based on their initial release. The NPP valves on the SW doesn't do much compared to the Borla counterpart. In the event toning it down is something required. Also the SW has some drone as well. The Borla does not.

Now the above is with their initial release. So with the two new systems which now claim a drone free design, it could be very different competitive results. Personally I have the ZL1 Borla Atak (On an SS yes) so it's louder than the S-type. No drone period. And the valves tone it down so it's similar to track mode on the stock NPP, except maybe just a slight notch below. You can't go wrong with the S-type already in your hands and if I had the choice I probably would have chosen that if there was a deal nearby.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I just did the Borla S-Type axle back and love it, it sounds mean at start up but settles out nicely, if you push the loud pedal, its sounds amazing, I've had several complements on how good it sounds. Awesome quality.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
any thoughts on why you went S Type vs ATAK? I hear the S Type has a deeper tone which I am a fan of.
B/c after doing research on the forums etc., universal opinion was that they both sound great but the ATAK is louder. Possibly too loud for some. I didn't want that possibility.

Got the S-type and it's loud enough without ever being annoying and sounds euphoric. When you start the car cold....man does that sound never get old . Even though mine is non-npp, I really like how they look. The tips are larger in diameter than OEM npp exhaust or at least they sure look like they are.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
jcastag

Quote:
B/c after doing research on the forums etc., universal opinion was that they both sound great but the ATAK is louder. Possibly too loud for some. I didn't want that possibility.

Got the S-type and it's loud enough without ever being annoying and sounds euphoric. When you start the car cold....man does that sound never get old . Even though mine is non-npp, I really like how they look. The tips are larger in diameter than OEM npp exhaust or at least they sure look like they are.

Getting me excited to install mine this weekend lol. I went with the S-Type because a lot of the stuff I read was that it has a deeper tone more muscle car like.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Getting me excited to install mine this weekend lol. I went with the S-Type because a lot of the stuff I read was that it has a deeper tone more muscle car like.
I've heard that as well but never heard the ATAK except online. S-type sounds great is all I know.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Never heard of the rebel catback before from SW. Looking at the site it seems like they just recently released a Legend and Redline lineup which is news to me.

The following is based on their initial release. The NPP valves on the SW doesn't do much compared to the Borla counterpart. In the event toning it down is something required. Also the SW has some drone as well. The Borla does not.

Now the above is with their initial release. So with the two new systems which now claim a drone free design, it could be very different competitive results. Personally I have the ZL1 Borla Atak (On an SS yes) so it's louder than the S-type. No drone period. And the valves tone it down so it's similar to track mode on the stock NPP, except maybe just a slight notch below. You can't go wrong with the S-type already in your hands and if I had the choice I probably would have chosen that if there was a deal nearby.

Redline thats it!!! lol

Sorry no idea where I got Rebel from
Old 09-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
I have a tough decision to make, without getting into the full details, here is the situation.

I have a Borla Cat Back System brand new in the box. It's the S Type axle back with NPP and the x pipe with AFM.

I am considering exchanging for the Stainless Works new Rebel cat back system that is also NPP and AFM.

I would prefer substantiated reasons... Not just the Borla is the best marketing fluff. Hope you guys understand.

I have no thoughts...no thoughts....at all.
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
I've heard that as well but never heard the ATAK except online. S-type sounds great is all I know.
The Atak is insane as hell. BUT sounds like a honda at 100 if you choose even with the valves open. But when you wanna race hell stomp that pedal cant get any better.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
gmw0181

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

I have Stainless Works. I first bought the cat-back system. The cat-back system is prone to exhaust leaks on the driver side and the exhaust sticks out from rear of bumper about a half inch.

I then installed the Stainless Work headers and high flow cats and love the sound and fitment is perfect, the exhaust looks factory at rear bumper.
Worth every penny but I would install the whole thing headers back.
gmw0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
jcastag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw0181 View Post
I have Stainless Works. I first bought the cat-back system. The cat-back system is prone to exhaust leaks on the driver side and the exhaust sticks out from rear of bumper about a half inch.

I then installed the Stainless Work headers and high flow cats and love the sound and fitment is perfect, the exhaust looks factory at rear bumper.
Worth every penny but I would install the whole thing headers back.
How big of a pain were getting the headers in... I heard the right side is a nightmare.