#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #29
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The Hummer brand was a joke. In the serious off roading world it was laughed at because they weren't designed with ease of repair and modification like Wranglers and Broncos. I've been to Jeep week in Moab. My stepbrother has a fully custom'd 2005 Wrangler. Not once did I ever see a Hummer on those trails.

Plenty of old school K5 Blazers though
Yes, unfortunately the H1 predecessors were the annoying cousins that nobody wanted at the family holiday, as for the off-roading portion. If I recall correctly, I believe the final nail in the coffin was the soaring of gas prices..which Hummer had received criticism even prior to that point. The H2's were nice in their time, IMO, but the H3 was getting too far into the mall crawler category.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #30
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Ahh...just what we needed. Another thread to complain about the new Blazer using the Blazer name.

Yes...it would have been nice if the Blazer was a true Bronco competitor...blah blah blah. Let's not forget that the Blazer lost that cred years ago when the 90s/20s era Blazer came to be. Did everyone complain as much then? This new Blazer is just a modern version of that vehicle.

The new Blazer is a nice SUV (when equipped properly). My wife absolutely loves it, and sales show that others feel the same way. Honestly, I think it's pretty damn nice too.

My gripe about it, is that it's too expensive. When you take the rebates that Chevy throws at it, it helps, but it's still expensive. That said, we might own one eventually, but for now my wife is going to have to live with her 2018 Terrain SLT for a little while longer.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #31
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I started saving $250/paycheck towards a new Wrangler the second they announced they were going to offer the 392. If Ford puts the Coyote in the Bronco I may go with the Bronco.

GM are you listening? I’m saving money for something you don’t make!
The 392 in the Wranger is awesome.

But I hope it's worth the 70 grand you are going to pay for it.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #32
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The 392 in the Wranger is awesome.

But I hope it's worth the 70 grand you are going to pay for it.

Dennis Collins of Collins Brothers Jeep (and Gas Monkey Garage fame), and other custom shops, have been doing big V8 swaps into Wranglers for years. I think the last time a V8 was available from the factory in a Wrangler or CJ is the early 80s with AMC's old 304 5 liter.

By all accounts people absolutely love them. That's part of what gave FCA/Stellantis this whole idea. Because they saw the money these guys were making and realized they were missing out. Especially with their own in-house high performance V8 already in full production.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #33
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Ahh...just what we needed. Another thread to complain about the new Blazer using the Blazer name.

Yes...it would have been nice if the Blazer was a true Bronco competitor...blah blah blah. Let's not forget that the Blazer lost that cred years ago when the 90s/20s era Blazer came to be. Did everyone complain as much then? This new Blazer is just a modern version of that vehicle.

The new Blazer is a nice SUV (when equipped properly). My wife absolutely loves it, and sales show that others feel the same way. Honestly, I think it's pretty damn nice too.

My gripe about it, is that it's too expensive. When you take the rebates that Chevy throws at it, it helps, but it's still expensive. That said, we might own one eventually, but for now my wife is going to have to live with her 2018 Terrain SLT for a little while longer.

As for complaints in the 90's - who knows? It is a guess more than anything. The internet, social media, the amount of connections people have today (i.e. car forums) is nowhere near comparable to even a decade ago, let alone the 90's.

A vehicle having sales (assumed & I don't care to research) does not mean the vehicle is "nice". People will buy just about any sh*tbox that GM throws on the lot, as long as it fits the masses. Available AWD, reasonable sizing for the average household, different styling, ok gas mileage, its a Chevy and it is something new... that is often a good enough recipe for sales. How the vehicle performs in sales in the following years (if it is even still produced) will show the true colors.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #34
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Let's not forget that the Blazer lost that cred years ago when the 90s/20s era Blazer came to be. Did everyone complain as much then? This new Blazer is just a modern version of that vehicle.
The K5 Blazer was changed to the GMT800 chassis in 1992, then renamed the Tahoe in 1995.

The Blazer you might be thinking of is the S-10 Blazer, which was the SUV version of the S-10 pickup made from 1984-2003. When they renamed the big Blazer the Tahoe, they renamed the S-10 Blazer the TrailBlazer.

Then to make things even more confusing they brought out a new, bigger than the S-10 chassis TrailBlazer in 2004.

Neither of which were ever near as off-road capable as the original K5 and GMT800 Blazer/Tahoe.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #35
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
In all fairness to Chevy, the soccer mom market is a heck of a lot bigger than the market for 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Outside the Jeep Wrangler, how much of the Jeep lineup is being driven off road?

My wife and I have 2019 Blazer RS. It replaced a GMC Acadia. The extra 20 HP is nice. It has a very good ride and is well put together. The only thing I miss is folding side mirrors. Otherwise it is an significant upgrade over the Acadia.
True the soccer mom market is way bigger. But I feel like GM should still want a slice of the pie. they could even copy the way Ford is doing it. the Bronco is on a modified version of the next gen ranger platform. GM could do the same with an SUV on the Colorado platform
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #36
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
They have a Bronco competitor. And you can be one of the first to have it for $112,595.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #37
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
They have a Bronco competitor. And you can be one of the first to have it for $112,595.
Not sure about electric vehicles on the trail all day.

When you get to the top of some trails you can carry a few gallons of gas with you..... not sure if you can bring a few kilowatts of electricity with you
Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #38
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
I think I'll just stick with my '74 K5 rather than buy the new version...

Attached Images

Last edited by ABM2SS; 01-13-2021 at 03:35 PM.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #39
snizzle
Recalled user

ABM2SS, now that's a Blazer!

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #40
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I think they need something in the everyman price range if it's a market they want to get into. It's a good way to lure people in.

Example

I have a Bronco reservation, I would never consider a wrangler ever. I have never been off roading, hell I don't even know where any trails are that I can go off roading. The original Bronco's were cool but never did anything for me. The new one has me hook line and sinker. Still have till March to decide if I want to convert my reservation to an order but the hype machine lured me in for sure lol. Part of it is timing, my lease on my Mazda is up in November so need to start thinking about a new vehicle and until the Bronco debuted nothing really excited me from GM or Ford
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #41
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM2SS View Post
I think I'll just stick with my '74 K5 rather than buy the new version...

Awesome rig man!!!

A modern version would look great in my garage next to my Camaro

I’d get a classic but I would be using it as an every day driver so I’d like some modern conveniences...... and the originals would turn to rust dust in Cleveland winters
Old 01-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #42
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think they need something in the everyman price range if it's a market they want to get into. It's a good way to lure people in.
Yeah, it was a joke, b/c of the price obviously. Although GM could probably pull a similar vehicle off cheaper down the road. Let's hope they try.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost