Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #211
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I'm pretty sure the reason for encrypting the buss data is to prevent the hacking takeover of the car such as has been shown on TV in the last few years. I'm okay with that. Since my hearing is slowly fading, I find that the stock system sounds okay.
while i dont totally disagree that data communication between car computers should be protected from evil hackers who somehow have physical access to your cables in your car but dont just steal your car. Audio doesn't have to be included in that bucket. (and the reason they're encrypting those data streams is less about hackers and more about making sure anyone who wants to work on the car has to buy their equipment to unencrypt and communicate with the various bcms and ensure no aftermarket replacements). Most hacking vectors have to do with the car's wireless connection to the internet or your key fob ...not any of the actual wired communication.

Audio going to the amp doesn't have to be a protected data stream.

Additionally, a concern about aftermarket audio these days also includes supporting the ever changing software and technology related to streaming services or connecting to other devices. Being forced to be stuck with the hardware and software of your oem either limits you to what existed at the time the car was built or at best, limits you to whatever software updates your oem deems fit.

things like newer bluetooth specs as they come out. Things like improved android auto/carplay (like wireless support etc). Things like supporting hd radio if radio is your thing. Supporting playback of physical media in newer or different codecs ..etc etc. It's more than just about swapping in different speakers and amps.

anyways, not to derail the thread. but yea. my ideal 7th gen camaro would be pro-consumer ...not only making such future-proofing ideas possible, but making them easy. So when every other car owner is frustrated they can't do this or can't do that or how expensive doing some job on the car is or how they have to take it to some dealer to be worked on, i can laugh at them in my 7th gen that goes out of it's way to like its owner ...rather than seemingly being built to spite the owner whenever it can.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #212
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I hate the 2nd gen styling, especially the earlier models. It's by far the ugliest to me.

I'd looooooovvvvveee to see retro 3rd gen styling though. As a Gen Xer, it's the definitive Camaro for me.
Looks like a 72 Vega
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:21 AM   #213
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Depends on the year. 1974 seemed to have been when they started to refresh it into the Chevy Pinto. Before that, the styling was very good.
Agreed. The 70-73 were the BEST looking Camaros in my opinion. (Especially the split bumper cars.)
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #214
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
Agreed. The 70-73 were the BEST looking Camaros in my opinion. (Especially the split bumper cars.)
Yeah, plenty of really good examples in the early part of that generation.

Some of what I consider to be the degradation of the styling was restored late in the generation. But, even with some of the improvements from a redesigned from bumper and addition of a lower front spoiler late in the 1970's, the look could still be fairly wonky depending on the hood it had on it or even the color of the car. For example, the Z28 had a hood with a fake scoop on it that looked decent (depending on the color of the car because it was set off with graphics to make it look functional). The RS had a plain hood on it that didn't really have much impact on the looks overall.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #215
splatrd

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
end of the line

I thought I read that GM was cancelling the 7 gen and ending production of Camaro end of 2022. Something about them consolidating chassis designs that would not support the Camaro. My fear is they will replace it with an electric POS like the E Mustang.
splatrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #216
volnedan

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 6MT
Smaller A-pillar, larger windows, smaller C-pillar, and maybe a fastback design with larger rear windshield, a hatch trunk opening would be awesome. The trunk is actually useful even though the opening is small, and thankfully the rear seats fold down.

Otherwise I love it :-)
volnedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #217
MichaelG

Drives: 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
Oh, one more thing I forgot I'd like to see in the next generation: Get rid of the dumb as hell model naming scheme. Currently in just the Camaro lineup, you can purchase these:
1LS
1LT
1LT 1LE
1LT RS
2LT
2LT 1LE
2LT RS
3LT
3LT 1LE
3LT RS
LT1
LT1 RS
1SS
1SS 1LE
2SS
2SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE

Now tell me how many people that are not frequenting a Camaro forum could ever come close to telling you what any of those are? The ONLY thing recognizable for a "normal" person is that they know SS means V8. That's it. Dodge is over here with trim names like Hellcat, Demon, TRX (T-rex) and Chevy is throwing random RPO codes out there. Stop using random letter combinations (even if they are historic ones) and make some real names for trims/packages that people can actually remember. This is all part of the branding/marketing issue Chevy has had for a decade now.

/rant
Agree 100%.

Ask the next generation of potential Camaro/Challenger/Mustang buyers what he thinks of the new Hellcat and they'll tell you how cool it is. Ask them about the ZL1 1LE and notice the blank stare on their face.

These cars are embedded in our minds at a young age. GM needs to market to the youth.

Nobody is going to change my mind that the screaming eagle on the Trans Am is cool!
01/26/21 - Delivered
MichaelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #218
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Please not a retro styled fat looking 2nd gen. Although I've come to appreciate the 2nd gen looks a bit more lately, I think the car needs to appeal to Gen Z and be affordable for them as they enter the workforce.
The 2nd gen is butt ugly. It looks like an old man's car who retired from the factory with a fat pension.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of chrome altogether as a starting point. Black rims are a premium option now and there's a reason for that.

I was a teenager in the 80s so all I can think of is a mashup between the Ferrari 308 and a '68 Corvette. With the obvious need for modern styling in the details.

Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #219
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
The 2nd gen is butt ugly. It looks like an old man's car who retired from the factory with a fat pension.
Gen2 split bumper is my favorite Camaro of all. She’s a sexy bitch. Definitely don’t want another pile of retro though, of any gen. Nor the an amalgamation of an Italian Vette. Something entirely fresh is overdue.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:30 PM   #220
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Keep basically the same body, give it a more aggressive yet attractive grill and tail light. I'm not a fan of the slitty looking headlamps. Give it a more aggressive hood with a functional scoop induction option.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #221
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
I hate the 2nd gen styling, especially the earlier models. It's by far the ugliest to me.

I'd looooooovvvvveee to see retro 3rd gen styling though. As a Gen Xer, it's the definitive Camaro for me.
No...the 2nd Gen Ver.1 70-73 is on the same level as the 1st Gen and 6th Gen Ver.1 Camaros. And yeh I have 6th Gen Ver.1 Camaro and they look damn good, especially with a rally stripe kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 01-17-2021 at 10:54 PM.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #222
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
No...the 2nd Gen Ver.1 70-73 is on the same level as the 1st Gen and 6th Gen Ver.1 Camaros. And yeh I have 6th Gen Ver.1 Camaro and they look damn good, especially with a rally stripe kit.
Really? I thought people loved the look of the first generation more? I thought those hideaway headlamps were something else.

I don't see how they would be able to pull off a second generation retro look in today's age though. I don't think anyone wants a Bentley Camaro.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #223
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Late 90s F body design. That's what I want.

They would take a chunk out of Mustang sales if they did that and a car with better visibility would sell more. I still don't know why they designed it with poor visibility like this.

I'm 37 and graduated high school in 2002. When I started driving that was many of the guys at schools car they wanted. Was Camaro SS/Z28 or Firebird, Trans Am
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #224
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatrd View Post
My fear is they will replace it with an electric POS like the E Mustang.
Well it looks like if the Camaro is to continue into the future it will need to be offered as an EV. Hopefully they keep the V8/manual as an option.
The E Mustang is a POS because it's a crossover. If Ford would have just added an electric powertrain option to the Mustang they wouldn't have degraded the name. I really hope Corvette doesn't become it's own brand with utility vehicle offerings but I'm not confident they won't go this route.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote