Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #29
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
smh. I would never see the day that someone would test drive a Zl1 and come away unimpressed. Unless you hopped off doing 200 mph on a Ducati, there should be no reason for it unless you are just a complete car snob.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #30
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Power is nothing without control !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #31
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Hey not trying to sell you on the ZL1 but I would imagine the A10 would be a good bit more impressive than the M6 as far as acceleration and don’t forget it’s the middle of Summer. Nothing seems to pull all that great in the heat, even something that’s semi-broken in that has 650 hp / 650 tq.
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #32
Brooklync7

Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
smh. I would never see the day that someone would test drive a Zl1 and come away unimpressed. Unless you hopped off doing 200 mph on a Ducati, there should be no reason for it unless you are just a complete car snob.
Well if you read the thread posted earlier on this thread you’ll see that it’s not just me at all. Others have had similar impressions. I’m not a car snob or any type of snob at all.

The only cars I’ve ever owned have been blue collar sports cars and muscle cars like my current hellcat and previous corvettes and CTS-v coupe. The car just didn’t do it for me that’s all.

To be fair as of right now I’m attributing it to two factors. 1st being lack of visibility second the manual transmission. I will test drive an auto with the new 10 speed and see if my opinion changes.
Brooklync7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #33
Brooklync7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Fanatic View Post
Hey not trying to sell you on the ZL1 but I would imagine the A10 would be a good bit more impressive than the M6 as far as acceleration and don’t forget it’s the middle of Summer. Nothing seems to pull all that great in the heat, even something that’s semi-broken in that has 650 hp / 650 tq.
I’m looking forward to driving the a10. As far as the heat is concerned yes cars lose power do to the heat, but not the zl1 and the hellcat were driven in the same ridiculous 100 degree heat and the HC did feel a lot more powerful. I’m really hoping I like the car in an auto because I do like the car and I really appreciate it’s handling.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #34
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
A10!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklync7 View Post
So I’ll start off by saying I’m a hardcore gm fanboy. At least I thought I was.

My previous cars have been a 99 c5 corvette coupe, 2006 c6 corvette coupe, 2014 corvette stingray, and a 2011 gen 2 cts-v coupe. I really loved them all. My last gm car was my 2014 stingray.

My wife and I had our first child so it was time for a 4 seater. I went with my current car a 2016 Charger Hellcat which I absolutely love. Being as my son very rarely spends any time in my car I was thinking that a zl1 Camaro would do the trick. I came ready to leave the dealership with the zl1. Title and all keys in hand.

Took it for 2 test drives drove it hard and easy and I just wasn’t impressed which is very surprising given all the incredible reviews and fanfare around this car. I was expecting a z06 kind of drive, given they have the same power plant and it honestly felt nothing like the c7 z06. It honestly felt slow, and to tame. I know that’s a crazy thing to say but that’s just how I felt when driving it. It wasn’t the mean car I was expecting. The handling on the other hand was unreal! Seriously an incredible handling car.

I am really lost as to why the car felt so underwhelming. Could it be that the 6 speed manual is just outdated at this point and I’m just used to a superior auto like the zf8 in my hellcat? I honestly never though I would consider a zl1 in an auto but gears in the m6 were so longgggg and I’m getting the feeling that the car would feel more powerful in an auto.

Visibility is my biggest gripe with the car. I’ve had a lot of cars in my life but have never driven a car with worse visibility. I’m sure I could get used to it but damn.

If this is anything like the corvette forum I’m sure I’ll get beat up here, but please don’t think I’m trolling because I’m not. I’m wondering if I test drove a bad seed, or if I should give the auto a try, or if I’m not alone in my thoughts.

Most likely most of you hate the Hellcat but I drove home in that car appreciating it more than I have in a while, alll the while thinking damn if only it handled a little more like the Zl1 lol.
You gotta try the A10...paddle shift so you can see the potential.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #35
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Randy Pobst ran a faster lap time in the M6 on Big Willow, at Willow Springs. The cars are very well matched, in the right hands.
https://youtu.be/E0amO_lJks8
Old 07-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #36
Brooklync7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Randy Pobst ran a faster lap time in the M6 on Big Willow, at Willow Springs. The cars are very well matched, in the right hands.
I enjoyed that episode!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #37
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
What do you expect from a guy that really does not drive automatics? It’s kind of like trying to shoot with you odd hand!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #38
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
They have actually gone back and tested it and the A10 was a couple of tenths faster then the M6.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #39
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
Get the A10 then a Tony Mamo throttle body. Done.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #40
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
They have actually gone back and tested it and the A10 was a couple of tenths faster then the M6.
I think my point was that there isn’t a huge difference between the two.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #41
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
I think my point was that there isn’t a huge difference between the two.

Shit I have raced M6 & there is a big difference. The manual is not good above 80 compared to the A10. Top speeds are drastically different as well between the two.

The manual hellcat will loose to a automatic ZL1 & the Automatic Hellcat will pull on a manual ZL1.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #42
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklync7 View Post
Touching on a couple of points referenced above. When I said the Hellcats a8 was superior I was comparing it to the m6 in the Camaro not the a10 which I haven’t driven yet. That being said the zf8 is far superior to the GM a8.

My test drives were both in track mode and valet mode was definitely not a factor lol.

I am looking forward testing the a10 but I always felt like the zl1 deserved a manual, maybe one with closer gear ratio however.
Lol. Sorry this post has to be a big joke or definitely a trolling attempt. Hellcat auto superior? 😂 The M6 is a Tremec, a world class manual used in many cars. Guarantee it had nothing to do with your bad test driving experience.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote