Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #29
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
If you live near twisty roads, I would just save up some money to buy a second set of wheels and tires. Not having the stock goodyears changes the feel of the car in the twisty’s.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:01 PM   #30
Camaroesq

Drives: C6 Z06
I am new this forum. About a month ago I purchased a manual Shadow Gray 2019 2SS vert moderately modified (ARH headers,CAI, Anderson CF hood, etc.) with only 3,200 miles. I have been and still am on several other Forums having owned numerous cars. I recently sold my Porsche Macan S because I really wanted a moderately priced, low maintenance cost, 6 speed sport/muscle car. I currently own a mint Gen 1 Raptor and a 911.2 911 Targa GTS PDK.

With regard to my Camaro (and this thread), I found the stock tires a bit "floaty" at higher speeds- could have been the colder weather. Anyhow, with the "Oregon Road" trails here on Long Island one of my rear tires developed a small bubble. Rather than double down on the stock tires, I purchased a set of Michelin A/S 3+ from Costco as they have a $150 off sale at the moment, and am awaiting installation. I will probably sell the remaining three at some point.
Camaroesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:13 PM   #31
Ryfly05

Drives: 22 2SS 1LE
I am in the market for new SC3's. I would buy them off you if we can figure out shipping since I'm in WA state

438 whp 411 wtq -SAE- pump gas on mustang dyno.
Ryfly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:52 PM   #32
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Don't buy tires!!!!! You're going to love the summer only!!!

I was in the same boat as you and was nervous about the summer only's and went ahead and bought the all-season continentals. Welp... now I have a set of all-season continental sitting in my garage and I don't want them

While yes, if you're driving daily, ok maybe you might be better off with the continental all-seasons (I know a girl who has a set for sale, but she's in Jersey ) But, I've driven my car in the rain, under 40* and all is fine. Ya just gotta know your conditions and take it easy in the non-preferable ones. I thought I'd be drving my car more, but it's really become a sunny day, over 40* car.

My 2 cents from someone who jumped the gun before even getting the car
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
3/29 - 4200 - dealer ETA 4/23
4/5 - 5000 - but can't pick up for another week
4/16 - 6000 - Home Sweet Home
Daily driver... '23 Mazda CX5/Premium Plus (dealer demo)
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:11 PM   #33
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_sxxy322 View Post

I was in the same boat as you and was nervous about the summer only's and went ahead and bought the all-season continentals. Welp... now I have a set of all-season continental sitting in my garage and I don't want them

While yes, if you're driving daily, ok maybe you might be better off with the continental all-seasons (I know a girl who has a set for sale, but she's in Jersey ) But, I've driven my car in the rain, under 40* and all is fine. Ya just gotta know your conditions and take it easy in the non-preferable ones. I thought I'd be drving my car more, but it's really become a sunny day, over 40* car.

I'm sure those Contis wouldn't be difficult to sell, even their all-seasons are good tires.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:40 AM   #34
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
I keep hearing about how fast the stock runflats wear out. Does that apply to the 20" runflats they put on the V6 RS's?
I have 9k miles and hadn't even thought about looking at the tires yet.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:39 AM   #35
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Selling them to someone who tracks regularly will probably work, especially since they're essentially new. Heck, I sold my USED Brembo pads with about 2000 miles on them to someone here who goes through pads tracking.
Switched to the Powerstop Z26's to eliminate the awful dust the Brembos produce!
That's the plan. I'm thinking someone who tracks will find it more useful than me just using it as a DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURFSUP View Post
I havent decided yet 100%. I was also in the field of maybe running the Michelin Pilots.... So i have not 100% made a choice yet as i believe ill still have some time to think about it lol
Oh, ok. Decisions, decisions .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I didn’t rotate them. Just kept them aired up and front and rear alignment checked for excessive tire wear which the car didn’t have.
Oh, ok. Interesting you were able to get that much life out of them without rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmelter View Post
OP. I'd buy your stock tires , if the price is right, but I live in Maine so I'd need them shipped. I'm at 9k on mine now and planned to go with Conti ECS next as I heard those can last up to 25k miles.
Unfortunately only looking at local options for now as I don't want to deal with shipping. But will let you know if anything changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
The Continental Extreme Contact Sports are very good summer tires and a little cheaper than the Michelins. I had a set on my 2016 2SS for 6 months before I traded for the ZL1 and had no issues with them and they drove and rode so much better than the GY run flat tires which aren’t standard equipment on the SS 1LE option.
That's good to know. So far I have seen most who have tried the Conti's whether summer or all-season have not been disappointed with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Yes.
Right on.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #36
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithDanger View Post
I have done a ton of research on this and am also picking up my 23 2SS 1LE up on Monday so I will chime in. You probably have your answer anyway, but I will recommend a few tires based on your conditions.

The stock Goodyears are fine to drive until they run out of life, but just be careful in the cold and rain. They are livable but are certainly not as good as other options so don't get over confident. On my current Camaro switching from the stock Goodyear run flats to Conti DWS06+ made a world of difference in the rain.

If you don't plan to push the car and just want the best mileage you can get, AND/OR have to worry about sustained cold conditions, the DWS06+ will be a great option for you.

If you want a tire with decent mileage but can also handle most of what you can throw at it, ExtremeContact Sport (original or 02) and PS4S are what you should be looking at. Personally I am going with EC Sport. The PS4S are considered the best but only marginally so over the Sport, and I can't justify the the price difference (in my area at least)

If you want to track the car, you may want to consider using the Goodyears as a track tire and swapping them with one of the above options when you are done.
On Discount's website, I saw that the original EC Sport is only about a $100 more than the DWS06+. I am not sure if Conti still stocks them. Original EC Sport is what I am leaning more towards right now due to the price. I will check with the Discount store.

You mentioned you were very happy with the DWS06+ and it was great in the rain. Do you think the EC Sport will be able to handle the rain just as well?

Not worried about the cold as I will drive my truck if it gets too chilly.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:56 AM   #37
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
If you live near twisty roads, I would just save up some money to buy a second set of wheels and tires. Not having the stock goodyears changes the feel of the car in the twisty’s.
No twisty roads. Just a decent amount of hills and valleys .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroesq View Post
I am new this forum. About a month ago I purchased a manual Shadow Gray 2019 2SS vert moderately modified (ARH headers,CAI, Anderson CF hood, etc.) with only 3,200 miles. I have been and still am on several other Forums having owned numerous cars. I recently sold my Porsche Macan S because I really wanted a moderately priced, low maintenance cost, 6 speed sport/muscle car. I currently own a mint Gen 1 Raptor and a 911.2 911 Targa GTS PDK.

With regard to my Camaro (and this thread), I found the stock tires a bit "floaty" at higher speeds- could have been the colder weather. Anyhow, with the "Oregon Road" trails here on Long Island one of my rear tires developed a small bubble. Rather than double down on the stock tires, I purchased a set of Michelin A/S 3+ from Costco as they have a $150 off sale at the moment, and am awaiting installation. I will probably sell the remaining three at some point.
Oh, ok. Didn't see the A/S 3+ come up as an option for the SS 1LE during my search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfly05 View Post
I am in the market for new SC3's. I would buy them off you if we can figure out shipping since I'm in WA state
Unfortunately just looking at local right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_sxxy322 View Post

Hahaha, thanks for the take. Interesting because from what I have seen so far, most in this forum that have tried the all-seasons ended up liking them.

What did you not like about the all-season Conti's?
Old 05-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #38
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
I would not rush to change the stock tires. I’m finally putting a new set of Goodyears SC3s on, i made it over 15k miles on the original set. Rears still have life, fronts not so much. Depending how you drive, they last A LOT longer than 7k miles.

The PS4S are way more comfortable, but dont have the same grip. I decided to stick with the SC3 because my 1le is not my daily / comfort vehicle.

No reason to toss out a new set.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #39
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
People saying “don’t put all seasons on the 1LE” are short sighted. It gets cold in many areas and the Conti DWS06+ indeed have significantly more traction in cool and cold weather. So, in reality; it’s more an injustice to drive in ultra high perf summer tires such as the OEM supercar3 tires in cold weather. Here in Idaho I have more traction with the Conti all seasons on my ZL1 than the OEM tires in mornings 9 months out of the year and 7 months 24/7.

Edited to add: and the difference between the conti A/s for daily driving and occasional backroad driving and the SC3 in warm/hot weather isn’t nearly as drastic as the difference between them in cold weather. Gain a ton in the winter, lose a little in the summer.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:03 PM   #40
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
People saying “don’t put all seasons on the 1LE” are short sighted. It gets cold in many areas and the Conti DWS06+ indeed have significantly more traction in cool and cold weather. So, in reality; it’s more an injustice to drive in ultra high perf summer tires such as the OEM supercar3 tires in cold weather. Here in Idaho I have more traction with the Conti all seasons on my ZL1 than the OEM tires in mornings 9 months out of the year and 7 months 24/7.

Edited to add: and the difference between the conti A/s for daily driving and occasional backroad driving and the SC3 in warm/hot weather isn’t nearly as drastic as the difference between them in cold weather. Gain a ton in the winter, lose a little in the summer.
OP is in Austin, TX.

The Michelin PS4S is drivable all the way down to 36-38 degrees, the also recommended summer Contis are very likely similar, so he needs to refrain from driving on these summer tires a few weeks each year, if that. IMO the winter gain is negligible and the summer loss is dominant in this specific case.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:37 PM   #41
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
The PS4S is unmatched when you consider all surfaces and conditions above 40F

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Hi all, new here. Just picked up my ’23 2SS 1LE this week. Loving it so far. I didn’t let the dealer wash it so I will post a few pictures after the first wash.

I am sure this has been asked many times over the years but please bear with me. I might explore tracking in the future but for now, I don’t plan on it. For those who don’t track or intend to track your vehicle, how did you proceed with the factory Goodyears that come on the 1LE?

I have come to realize these tires only last about 7k miles and are terrible in the rain and hydroplane badly. It rains a fair amount here. Below are the paths I am currently exploring.

Drive the stock tires until bald (roughly 7k miles) and then buy different tires. I am worried about performance in rain with this option from what I have seen people say on the forum.

Sell the stock tires to offset cost of new tires. Car currently has less than 100 miles. For the new tires, I am looking at the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06+ all seasons ($1282) and the Extreme Contact Sport 02 summer ($1756) tires. I have read PS4S is the best but I don’t exactly want to pay the Michelin tax just yet. To go with this option, I will need to be able to sell the stock tires. Is there any market for these and how much could I realistically get for them?

Appreciate any input. Thanks.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:30 PM   #42
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post

Im in Alaska. All seasons are idiotic on a car like this in summer.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote