Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #99
ZRacerLE

 
ZRacerLE's Avatar
 
Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: TX
Posts: 889
A ZLE with an LT5, carbon fiber wheels, carbon ceramic rotors, and bigger aero called a Z28 would lap close to a ZR1 I bet... I'd buy it.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #100
Realist

 
Realist's Avatar
 
Drives: No Camaro :(
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chitown Burbs
Posts: 1,141
I like the looks and performance of all 3 cars but bang for buck the ZL1 blows the doors off the other 2. I go by real numbers and not MSRP. A ZL1 1LE is around $75k and the GT500 in the posted video is $115k or more. That’s a real $40k difference, finance costs would increase the difference even more. Need to run a ZL1 1LE Auto to compare Apple to Apple, stock to stock. Even with manual, the 1LE puts up a great fight and personally don’t care if I’m losing to Automatics because it’s just not for me in these cars. A base ZL1 is even more impressive to me because I seldom track. My ZL1 has a manual trans, HUD, PDR and sunroof, the GT500 even in base form at $90k at dealers offer none of these awesome features.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #101
SFV1LE

 
Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
A ZLE with an LT5, carbon fiber wheels, carbon ceramic rotors, and bigger aero called a Z28 would lap close to a ZR1 I bet... I'd buy it.
LT5 and bigger rear aero would be nice, I want the GT4.R wing

Carbon ceramic rotors wont stop much shorter than the ZL1 massive steel rotors, and when it comes time to replace them or they get damaged on track and Chevy wont warranty, they're expensive. My stock ZLE seems to brake on par with the GT3RS CCB guys, SRF or Brembo Racing is all it needed.

Carbon wheels look great, but if you curb one or hit a bad pothole it's done, and you can't park anywhere that isn't secure. At $10k a set, wheel thieves in big cities will have your Z up on blocks faster than an F1 pit crew. On track, drop a wheel on on a rough edge and that's several Gs for a new one.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #102
ZRacerLE

 
ZRacerLE's Avatar
 
Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: TX
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
LT5 and bigger rear aero would be nice, I want the GT4.R wing

Carbon ceramic rotors wont stop much shorter than the ZL1 massive steel rotors, and when it comes time to replace them or they get damaged on track and Chevy wont warranty, they're expensive. My stock ZLE seems to brake on par with the GT3RS CCB guys, SRF or Brembo Racing is all it needed.

Carbon wheels look great, but if you curb one or hit a bad pothole it's done, and you can't park anywhere that isn't secure. At $10k a set, wheel thieves in big cities will have your Z up on blocks faster than an F1 pit crew. On track, drop a wheel on on a rough edge and that's several Gs for a new one.
I'm thinking laptimes only. The cf wheels and cc rotors would just dramatically increase the bandwidth of each corner. Should make a dramatic difference in handling. Feel like the car lost a few hundred pounds, you know?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #103
SFV1LE

 
Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I'm thinking laptimes only. The cf wheels and cc rotors would just dramatically increase the bandwidth of each corner. Should make a dramatic difference in handling. Feel like the car lost a few hundred pounds, you know?
In terms of brakes I don't think it will feel like a dramatic difference, maybe none to slight. These brakes are that good.

As far as wheels, that's a big weight savings but you could get the same for much less money from racing seats and rear seat delete. With racing seats you get big weight savings, much better safety, tight harness fit that translates to ~2 seconds from no more sliding in seat, etc. And you can move the seats to next car or sell easily.

Rear seat delete is cheap and makes room for 2nd set of track wheels.

These are the mods I would do next, but I'm not doing any mods :-) I found a good price on a nice set of 18" forged track wheels and I'm all set.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #104
ZRacerLE

 
ZRacerLE's Avatar
 
Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: TX
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
In terms of brakes I don't think it will feel like a dramatic difference, maybe none to slight. These brakes are that good.

As far as wheels, that's a big weight savings but you could get the same for much less money from racing seats and rear seat delete. With racing seats you get big weight savings, much better safety, tight harness fit that translates to ~2 seconds from no more sliding in seat, etc. And you can move the seats to next car or sell easily.

Rear seat delete is cheap and makes room for 2nd set of track wheels.

These are the mods I would do next, but I'm not doing any mods :-) I found a good price on a nice set of 18" forged track wheels and I'm all set.
Nice!

Yeah, I bought this car because I wanted something I could be really competitive in and not have to mod. Very happy 100% stock.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #105
SHRFT
 
SHRFT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss 50 aniverssary vert
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Calgary AB Canada
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
My only complaint would be the hard, hollow plastic used on the top of the dashboard. It reminds me of the early 90's Chevy trucks.
I'm in agreement on this point. I have tried to have that large expanse covered in leather but to no avail. The upholstering shops are all afraid the air bag for the passenger will be stopped or delayed, thus causing injury in an accident. Was thinking of a carpet type of dash cover but that isn't a real improvement.
SHRFT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.