Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Cal thanks for your threads and all the good info coming from them. You have
a really good approach to learning. We could all benefit.

I am still thinking about the switch to the ZL1 as I am starting to get bites on selling my SS. Still on the fence. I know someone will at some point figure out the bog on both v8 M6es. I am not buying it has been solved yet. My torque tables were modded and all it did was make the car hard to launch on the street in normal driving. The tip-in was too much. Pray pulled it back a little and now street driving is fine but so far no help.
Thank you. I learn a lot from you and everyone else who contributes here too.

I'm sure you'll have a buyer for your SS in no time, with those mods and the way you take care of it. If you do go with the ZL1 M6 be prepared for the demoralizing bog, especially with tall tires. Used 2017 models should be relatively cheap by now. If you're prepared to void the warranty, a few simple bolt-ons with a tune would net you substantial power gains. I was thinking a flex fuel kit, lower pulley, and tune would easily move my ET into the mid-10s or better. One thing I'd worry about there would be if the low pres. fuel pump could keep up. Weapon-X seems to have this covered, though, if I were to go that route. For about $6K, Ben's Secondary Port Injection kit and lower pulley kit seems to include everything I'd need and more.
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #44
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6thGen View Post
Let me know when your hitting the track again if you can... Are you going to,Fayetteville? It’s a couple hour drive for me but I like the track. I only have an 1/8 local in Mooresville...

I have a friend that helps me working on my car there. I’ll be heading down after the snow stops again wth

I would like to see your setup in action, I’ve done 11.40 bone stock so looking forward to test out the RotoFab and kooks exhaust and see possibly getting a set like yours in the rear and help!

Also I have a vacation planed in Aug at my condo at Atlantic Beach... looking forward to driving down to the beach.

Steve
Hey Steve,

I usually go to Coastal Plains Dragway in Richlands, NC just outside Jacksonville about 1 hr drive from my home. It sits at about 15 ft above sea level and is usually a bit cooler with higher barometric pressure than tracks farther inland. I also like that it's oriented SW->NE. That puts the sun behind me along with prevailing winds most afternoons. I'd love to meet-up sometime if you're out this way. I don't think the 26" tires will work for you on the A10, though. There's too much torque to control with those short lower gears unless you went with a 12" wide slick. Most guys have a hard time with wheel spin on the launch in the A10 even with stock sizes.

I went to Fayetteville once on stock rubber, on the recommendation of some fellow motorsports enthusiasts. I was a bit disappointed, though, for 3 main reasons. See my track day thread [New Track: Bone Stock 1/4 mile ET 11.17 sec?] for details. (1) Because the track orientation (NW->SE) is opposite my usual track, the sun was in my eyes and washed out my HUD. I use the HUD to help time my shifts. (2) Also, I don't like their time slips. There's no car number - only a brief description that changes from one pass to the next - easy to mix them up, which they did. Date/Time stamp is always wrong too. At about 1 PM on 22 Jan the slip showed 1/1/2009 at 3 AM. (3) Their aging timing system has some serious issues too. I ran a couple of 11.9 passes at 122 MPH, then a slightly faster pass had me running 11.1 @ 73 MPH. Red-lights only showed up on the time slip half the time and when they do, the reaction time doesn't show negative. (4) There were also some rather large pieces of pavement kicking around near the turn-offs to the return road. Too bad 'cause it's a nice track - well prepped with the water box you can drive around. It's also very well organized and the staff are friendly and helpful.

That does look like one of the closest decent tracks for you but I won't be going back until they update their systems unless my track is closed for some reason. I use the time slips to improve and record my progress. They have to tell the truth. Rockingham isn't too far from you either. There's a few members who like going there too.

Weather doesn't look good for Coastal Plains Dragway for the next few weeks. It seems we've slipped into a soggy weekend pattern lately. Next Sunday calls for afternoon showers but if that front moves a little slower it could clear up. Cool temps forecast could be good if the rain holds off 'til night-time. I keep an eye on the forecasts and play it one day at a time. If it looks good I'll PM you in case you want to make the trip - long drive for you, though. The long-range forecast for the following Sunday looks like thunderstorms. Might have to wait for April when they move TNT to Friday eve.

--Cal
Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #45
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
I am going to order the zl1 height fronts today. So we will have this solved on the SS soon. Thanks again.
The 26" tire or more aggressive rear gear reduces wear on the clutch and driveline, maybe enough for the computer to avoid the clutch/drivetrain protection intervention a bit.
I'll be interested to see how that works out. Keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #46
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Here is the tire calculator I use. It will even do the math for you for the diameter and such just not with air pressures..

I may try the other track too..Thanks for the info...

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #47
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Ok I got the 26.8 zl1 height fronts on the car today and no traction control with the stock sized rears. (The trac light came on for the first few ft but it must’ve learned Bc it didn’t do it again). When the salt washes away wednesday I’ll take it for a long ride.

I have the 17” wheels but I am still waiting on the 25.9” 275/45-17 DRs for the back
Cool! Hopefully you'll have plenty of grip with the 275/45 DRs. I don't think you mentioned what brand you're getting. What's tread width do they list? I'm on 12" wide slick tread so there's a larger contact patch for better grip at launch. I need more meat with all the power in the LT4.

Hopefully you'll get 'em in time for the next open track day... if those Noreasters would just quit ruining your day.

--Cal
Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #48
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
They are these mt 275/40-17 which are 10.9” section width

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompson/672/3470/10002/-1

I am thinking the 275 will give me just enough grip. I’d like to run the Hoosiers but I don’t feel like dealing with swapping tires as the track. It’s about 45 min drove for me
Good choice. The MT Street SS use the same compound as the MT Street R but have a good street tread that'll maintain traction in rain. They grip really well at the track too. You won't need a long burnout either.

When you wear those out you might consider getting the 315/35R17. It's almost the same height (25.9 vs 26.0) but has an 11.4" tread width - much larger contact patch than the 10.3" on your 275's. If your new 17" wheels are 11" wide, 315's would be a better fit too. You should still have plenty of clearance from the suspension with the 12.3" section width even if your lines and wires are routed differently than my ZL1. My old 345s had 13.5" section width and still had plenty of suspension clearance on 12" wide rims.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #49
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
I like the mickey thompson ETs streets my only problem is they have nothing for longevity, literally 30-50 passes then they are done bald and useless.
HOWEVER for a 305/35/20 on a stock size WHEEL and a STOCK tune SS, they proved their worth and netted a rock star 1.67 60 ft pass while at palm beach raceway. Im still going to try the nittos nt05 next time out . as one more thing I noticed with the MT is they vibrate like hell above 100 mph ( yes they were balanced )
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #50
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Ok I’m all ready to go. It’s driving good. The only regret is not getting the et street r radial. I think it would just be a little softer sidewall for the 6 speed. It drives great on the road. I think the 275 will be fine and I went with a 17x9 to keep weight to a minimum. Remember I have 200hp/200ftlbs less than you. Feels great to get back on this size tire, it’s been a while. Going to the track tonigjt
Awesome! They look great! Good luck!

Too warm for my liking here. I'll go next weekend when it's cooler.

--Cal
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #51
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
So basically the zl1 height front tire works with a 26” rear tire for the SS as we saw working for the zl1 in this thread. These tires will be swapped for the street/strip and stock height rear tire on stock wheel for dd. No needing to pull abs fuses power steering or anything. I did have tc light come on the first time After I put the tires on but after some driving it seems like the computer stores some long term adjustments per wheel...like a long term fuel trim. The light never came back.

How are you launching? The track last night was very slippery and the DRs worked great. I ran them at 21 psi which felt like the stock tires on a very well prepped track....I could’ve went lower but there was so much time between runs I was really just happy to get out there and make a few passes. I liked just getting the feel of the tire and playing with rpm and clutch release before making changes.

Here’s a slip. A lot more in it but the air was not great. Based on how the field was doing, it didn’t do bad. I think 11.85 is doable in good air and I solid launch. There was a bone stock a10 mustang GT that was running 12.7s.
Very respectable time for your SS, especially if everyone else was slipping and sliding. Once you get used to the way the new tires handle and get some good air, you should be on the fast list.

Your slip says 11 Jan at 2:30 PM. Was it just the date that was off? If this was an afternoon daylight session you definitely had some bad air. 84 F at 37% humidity and barometer of about 29.86 Hg puts you at 2487 feet density altitude. Next Saturday should be ideal weather in Great Meadows. Forecast calls for a high of 57 F at 0% humidity. Barometer should be rising from the low that passed through Fri night. Winds are forecast at 9 MPH from NNW. Since your track is oriented WNW -> ESE that would be about half-value (4-5 MPH) tail wind. With likely low DA and tail wind you have the makings of some personal best times.

I hate it when the track is packed and I have to sit in line 30 min waiting for the next pass. Sounds like you made the best of it though. I'm glad to hear you found a way to get those 26" tires to work. Nice going and good luck next weekend.

--Cal
Old 04-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #52
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
So basically the zl1 height front tire works with a 26” rear tire for the SS as we saw working for the zl1 in this thread. These tires will be swapped for the street/strip and stock height rear tire on stock wheel for dd. No needing to pull abs fuses power steering or anything. I did have tc light come on the first time After I put the tires on but after some driving it seems like the computer stores some long term adjustments per wheel...like a long term fuel trim. The light never came back.

How are you launching? The track last night was very slippery and the DRs worked great. I ran them at 21 psi which felt like the stock tires on a very well prepped track....I could’ve went lower but there was so much time between runs I was really just happy to get out there and make a few passes. I liked just getting the feel of the tire and playing with rpm and clutch release before making changes.
Thought of a possible contributing factor to the computer freak out thing. The 245/40-20 front Michelins I have may be fractionally taller than the stock SS Goodyears, because the rear Michelins seem to have lowered the speedometer a little bit. The Michelins are nominally the same as the stock SS tires, but obviously different mfgs have variances. Since you guys say that putting a somewhat-shorter tire on front seems to satisfy the computer, my tires may have gone in the opposite direction.

As far as tire pressures for the DRs, I have the same MT tires as you, but mounted on 10" wide rims, and I run mine at 17 psi on the dragstrip.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #53
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Just remember, the first half of the track you want to shift for peak torque the second half of the track shift for peak horsepower. torque gets you out of the hole and horsepower gets you down the track faster. What this means is sometimes short shifting 1-2 and 2-3 will help you out. I shaved .1 to .2 off my time by doing this running the same tire you are just taller.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote