Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #99
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
Just did mine - put in 1.2 qt in my non-1LE SS. Already noticed an improvement on the first drive. The original fluid was really dirty and the magnetic drain plug had lots of metal shavings on it. I'm at 22k miles, but i should've done this much earlier. Real test will be in the winter when it gets colder and the groan is exacerbated. Probably need to do it again.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #100
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I did mine today, and it took about 1.6 quarts. Also, Id seen a YouTuber change his out without lifting the car so I gave it a go and lo and behold, I was able to squeeze under there! Did have to use a smallish oil drain pan though. Don’t try it if you’re claustrophobic!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #101
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Glad I found the fluid spec here. The owners manual and the performance supplement each say see the other and both say nothing.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #102
Sephx1

Be warned that the diff fluid shoots out about 3 feet when the plug is removed. It would be a mess on a driveway. I guess I thought it would be thicker than it actually was. I agree with what was stated earlier about removing the fill plug first, although my reason is to vent it for even flow while draining.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #103
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Be warned that the diff fluid shoots out about 3 feet when the plug is removed. It would be a mess on a driveway. I guess I thought it would be thicker than it actually was. I agree with what was stated earlier about removing the fill plug first, although my reason is to vent it for even flow while draining.
That's highly unusual. Just to confirm: this is when changing fluid in the main diff (aka "pumpkin") and NOT the unit that sits above it - correct?

As to the previous post: the manual is a bit of a dog's breakfast...but prior years do list all the fluids. Easy to obtain online simply by Googling it.

Hope it helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #104
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
That's highly unusual. Just to confirm: this is when changing fluid in the main diff (aka "pumpkin") and NOT the unit that sits above it - correct?

As to the previous post: the manual is a bit of a dog's breakfast...but prior years do list all the fluids. Easy to obtain online simply by Googling it.

Hope it helps. Cheers!
Yeah I thought it was unusual too, but I just drove it in the shop hot and pulled the plug so it was pretty warm. I used the same 3/8” square drive plugs in the photos posted earlier. Drain was at the bottom of the diff facing rearward, fill below the left axle. There was a slight amount of fine metal muck on both magnetic plugs. Took just over a quart and a half. I even saw something inside that looked similar to these photos I copied. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2021, 08:40 AM   #105
TrackClub

Quote:
Yeah I thought it was unusual too, but I just drove it in the shop hot and pulled the plug so it was pretty warm. I used the same 3/8” square drive plugs in the photos posted earlier. Drain was at the bottom of the diff facing rearward, fill below the left axle. There was a slight amount of fine metal muck on both magnetic plugs. Took just over a quart and a half. I even saw something inside that looked similar to these photos I copied. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it
I suppose hot fluid could explain it. Glad you got it done.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #106
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Doing mine Saturday morning...33XXX miles and not previously changed. (no track days).
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #107
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Doing mine Saturday morning...33XXX miles and not previously changed. (no track days).
Good call. The ediffs work pretty hard on those cars (by design).
Fluid is cheap insurance. I bet ya must be counting days regarding the ZL1 delivery Cheers!
Old 05-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #108
Sephx1

While I had it on the lift I put it in neutral and turned the rear wheels one at a time so I could wipe down the inside of the barrels. I noticed when one turns the other is unaffected. Pretty cool.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #109
TrackClub

Quote:
While I had it on the lift I put it in neutral and turned the rear wheels one at a time so I could wipe down the inside of the barrels. I noticed when one turns the other is unaffected. Pretty cool.
Cool and effective. Zero doubt the diff in a Camaro is responsible for much of its fantastic handling. Never driven a stock car, which was this easy to push at the limit. Remarkable!
Old 05-13-2021, 09:27 PM   #110
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I've changed mine twice now and would suggest the following to minimize mess:

Loosen the fill plug and remove about 3/4 of the way before removing the drain plug. This approach will allow some air to enter through the fill hole (air going in though this hole is what will prevent the surging ebb and flow effect that you ohterwise get if you only open the drain plug) so the flow out the drain hole is smooth. But it will slow the flow enough that it doesn't shoot out as fast or far as would happen if you totally removed the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

Starting the fill plug from the 3/4 out point, you can fine tune the flow rate out the drain hole by rotating the drain plug one direction or the other.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #111
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I've changed mine twice now and would suggest the following to minimize mess:

Loosen the fill plug and remove about 3/4 of the way before removing the drain plug. This approach will allow some air to enter through the fill hole (air going in though this hole is what will prevent the surging ebb and flow effect that you ohterwise get if you only open the drain plug) so the flow out the drain hole is smooth. But it will slow the flow enough that it doesn't shoot out as fast or far as would happen if you totally removed the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

Starting the fill plug from the 3/4 out point, you can fine tune the flow rate out the drain hole by rotating the drain plug one direction or the other.
Great advice! Thank you!
Old 05-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #112
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Done...good pics here and ive done this type before...easy.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote