Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #15
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Talking

CarGuy55:

OMG, beautiful drive you got there. Is that color Arctic Blue Metallic?

(Apologies for threadjack...)
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
CarGuy55:

OMG, beautiful drive you got there. Is that color Arctic Blue Metallic?

(Apologies for threadjack...)
Yes, that is ABM in overcast light. Bright sunlight and it looks silver
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #17
ctfarmer

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I'm loving my 305 true square setup. Understeer is gone and can rotate tires to any corner for longer life
I know that this thread hasn’t seen any love in several months, but would you mind me asking what wheel/tire combo you run with your true square setup?

I’d love to convert from my 1LE oem stagger to a square 305
ctfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #18
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfarmer View Post
I know that this thread hasn’t seen any love in several months, but would you mind me asking what wheel/tire combo you run with your true square setup?

I’d love to convert from my 1LE oem stagger to a square 305
Apex has 18s and 19s that'll work.

I have a set of 19x11 et35 that are supposed to arrive tomorrow, will run 305/30/19 RE71s.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #19
ctfarmer

Would the ET35’s remove the poke from the front of the 1LE’s and also not rub in the rear?
Old 06-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #20
DaveC113

Quote:
Would the ET35’s remove the poke from the front of the 1LE’s and also not rub in the rear?
Stock rears are 20x11 et43 so the rears will have lots of clearance.

Fronts are 20x10 et20 so you will need the Apex 26mm spacers + longer wheel studs up front, and then you may also have to clearance the front struts a bit.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #21
ctfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Stock rears are 20x11 et43 so the rears will have lots of clearance.

Fronts are 20x10 et20 so you will need the Apex 26mm spacers + longer wheel studs up front, and then you may also have to clearance the front struts a bit.
Dang, I've always hated the concept of spacers because of the whole "more parts means more places to fail" aspect. I would love to be able to fit 19x11's up front though, so I may just have to suck it up. My goal is to run 295 or 305 square for my all seasons, and then maybe up to a 305/325 for my summer/track days.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #22
DaveC113

Quote:
Dang, I've always hated the concept of spacers because of the whole "more parts means more places to fail" aspect. I would love to be able to fit 19x11's up front though, so I may just have to suck it up. My goal is to run 295 or 305 square for my all seasons, and then maybe up to a 305/325 for my summer/track days.
I'm using the square setup for autox and the OEM 20" w/SC3 for track, and staggered 19s w/stock offsets and widths for street. Oh, and also a square setup w/ 7mm spacers for winter performance tires.

It's too many sets of wheels and tires for sure, lol...

I went with the square setup for autox using spacers mostly so I can rotate them and try to maximize tire life. Stock for track because it's what the car's PTM modes were designed around. 19s for street because tires cost less than 20s.

I generally agree about spacers, I'd like to not use them but tons of folks do these days and the wheels studs are 14mm and require 140 lbs of torque so I think there's enough clamping force. You can also get 1" longer ARP studs, I'd trust the ARP studs not to fail. So... it's probably fine.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #23
ctfarmer

Quote:
I'm using the square setup for autox and the OEM 20" w/SC3 for track, and staggered 19s w/stock offsets and widths for street. Oh, and also a square setup w/ 7mm spacers for winter performance tires.

It's too many sets of wheels and tires for sure, lol...

I went with the square setup for autox using spacers mostly so I can rotate them and try to maximize tire life. Stock for track because it's what the car's PTM modes were designed around. 19s for street because tires cost less than 20s.

I generally agree about spacers, I'd like to not use them but tons of folks do these days and the wheels studs are 14mm and require 140 lbs of torque so I think there's enough clamping force. You can also get 1" longer ARP studs, I'd trust the ARP studs not to fail. So... it's probably fine.
So you wouldn't recommend running square for street in the summertime? I'm looking to have the most performance that I can reasonably get out of the car with only swapping between a summer and an all season set (Tennessee winters don't get too bad around here and when they do I have a 4wd).

I like the idea of running square because I can rotate them for more tire life and they also make the car handle a bit more neutral rather than the promotion of understeer with the stock setup.

If you don't believe it to be worth the hassle, then I am fine with running the stock fitment on some 19's and I would still be happy.

I don't know as much about these cars as some of you guys do, so anybody that has significant track and autox experience is always welcome to give me pointers. Maybe one of these days in the near future I'll be able to head down to Road Atl and get so track time, but until then, it's those curvy back roads that make my day.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #24
DaveC113

Quote:
So you wouldn't recommend running square for street in the summertime? I'm looking to have the most performance that I can reasonably get out of the car with only swapping between a summer and an all season set (Tennessee winters don't get too bad around here and when they do I have a 4wd).

I like the idea of running square because I can rotate them for more tire life and they also make the car handle a bit more neutral rather than the promotion of understeer with the stock setup.

If you don't believe it to be worth the hassle, then I am fine with running the stock fitment on some 19's and I would still be happy.

I don't know as much about these cars as some of you guys do, so anybody that has significant track and autox experience is always welcome to give me pointers. Maybe one of these days in the near future I'll be able to head down to Road Atl and get so track time, but until then, it's those curvy back roads that make my day.
I'd bet a square setup would be fine for street, I have 265/40/19 Pilot Alpin winter tires that have been great, stability systems still work fine.

I've found pretty even wear front to rear on the stock setup so I'm tending to stick to a staggered setup as close to stock as possible.

I'm sure either stock staggered or square will be fine. I haven't run both with the same tires so I can't comment much on differences in feel and handling, but I don't really have an issue with understeer with the stock setup once the tires are warm. I do get understeer with cold tires though!
Old 06-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #25
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Info for my true square setup and mod is here https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529442
Old 06-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #26
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Info for my true square setup and mod is here https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529442
Is the extra rear poke an issue with throwing up rocks? That's one thing I was thinking about going staggered vs square for street applications... even if you use a front spacer and a little less offset the rear's going to stick out a good bit over stock.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #27
ctfarmer

Quote:
Is the extra rear poke an issue with throwing up rocks? That's one thing I was thinking about going staggered vs square for street applications... even if you use a front spacer and a little less offset the rear's going to stick out a good bit over stock.
I am also wondering this, but I have ACS chip guards installed in front and rear because I’m so worried about paint chips. I wonder if that setup will negate their effectiveness.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:50 AM   #28
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Real World Results

Quote:

Real world Feedback on 305 30 19 Michelin Sport 4S Tires on APEX SM-10 ET22 19 x 10.5 wheels.

I got 20K miles and 15 track days out of this set up. I rotated every 5K miles front to back. And this was done with street setting of -2.2 degrees front camber and -2.0 degrees negative camber on rear and then switching at the track to -3.6 degrees front camber. Tire wear is EVEN across the face of the tire. I actually am still running the tires that were on the front and they have about 4/32's which tells me of course I probably should have rotated every 2K miles (LOL). NO ONE believes me when I tell them this and I wouldnt believe it either had I not witnessed it myself. I think that it speaks to the quality of the tire and the fact that the car had neutral handling with this setup and MOST importantly the ability to rotate.

i will be trying out a NEW setup for this weekend at COTA. It also is a SQUARE setup but with EC7 18 x 11 ET25 wheels and Pirelli 305 660 18 slicks. This of course would be a track only setup but it also DOES NOT have tire poke at the top of the wheel well . I will NEVER go away from a MS 4S tire for daily driving and ALSO for track driving in the rain. This tire is simply the BEST. I will let you know about the EC7 setup after this weekend. On a side note, I DID try TOYO RR 315 30 18 tires BUT that tire runs wide and it would rub on the actual strut body itself on the FRONT. I have a SS1LE so you ZL1 boys have a TAD bit more room to PUSH the tire more to the outside of car so that MAYBE an ET20 would work or a small spacer with the 315 tire setup. In either case though just be aware that slicks run wider in ACTUAL width than the same size NON-slick tire. The Pirellis seem to be slightly narrower than some of the other slicks with same same width designation.

I DO NOT use spacers with either setup but you do have to do some grinding on the strut bracket. Also I DO RUN the GM wheel well extensions that come painted in factory body color and fit on the BACK of the wheelwells. This DOES offer at least some protection against rock chips.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 06-25-2021 at 02:09 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote