Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #29
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
USAA worked for me. Getting backs replaced for 500 otd
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
I wonder if you could get 'store credit' on the install. I tried entering the code directly (looked at URL before redirect) but I can't get it to work without hopping thru usaa.com.

If you don't have USAA, then code 'TIRES15' does work.
Nope... I tried both online and at the store. For me it's just better to eat the install cost and go somewhere else.

Here's the video for your enjoyment... Goodyear paid $1,050 to replace the wheel after I blasted them on the survey.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #31
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i went through the same thing with a local tire shop. they skinned a 6" portion of the shoulder of the spoke. i made sure we all went over the wheels condition beforehand anyway. factory tire dismount so the wheels were still perfect. stuff like that sucks but i had no trouble from them.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i went through the same thing with a local tire shop. they skinned a 6" portion of the shoulder of the spoke. i made sure we all went over the wheels condition beforehand anyway. factory tire dismount so the wheels were still perfect. stuff like that sucks but i had no trouble from them.
for sure it's not Goodyear but simply individual instances that can happen anywhere. Just be careful. The store I went to had a pretty cool touchless machine with video so I thought I was safe.

Not that it really mattered but when the tire was taken off there were a ton of scratches on the inside. They definitely struggled with it.

Also, when I picked up the new wheel the Chevy dealer sold me back the old core for $50. Saved them having to mess with it.

UPDATE:
Just bought another set... after taxes and install fees it comes out to $300 per tire for 3Rs.
The GY website only shows stores with touchless machines for installs now which is nice. I may try it again at a different store.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  45.9 KB
Old 11-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

I swear I have the worst luck at this.

Last wheel and this...

Difference was this time the Manager inspected before the install and knows this wasn't there even though the tech "claims" he saw this when taking the wheel off the car they are going to replace the wheel. The manager was totally cool about it and no issues like the last time at a different store.

Name:  ding.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  ding1.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  125.1 KB
Old 11-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #34
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I paid a local shop big $ to install tires, I told them the price was high but they said it would be perfect.

I pick up my car and...

- They left the headlights on
- Wheels had soap or whatever all over them
- Torque was under the correct value in all but a few lug nuts
- Air pressure was +/- 5 psi or so
- The soap was hiding damage to one of the wheels. It was refinished, not replaced as it wasn't badly gauged. The repair came out perfect, but it took a couple days.

Honestly, my local Discount Tire has been excellent. I managed to slide sideways into the dirt at an AX race and got some dirt jammed into the bead, they dismounted, cleaned and remounted the two tires for free under their free flat repair deal.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #35
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I paid a local shop big $ to install tires, I told them the price was high but they said it would be perfect.

I pick up my car and...

- They left the headlights on
- Wheels had soap or whatever all over them
- Torque was under the correct value in all but a few lug nuts
- Air pressure was +/- 5 psi or so
- The soap was hiding damage to one of the wheels. It was refinished, not replaced as it wasn't badly gauged. The repair came out perfect, but it took a couple days.

Honestly, my local Discount Tire has been excellent. I managed to slide sideways into the dirt at an AX race and got some dirt jammed into the bead, they dismounted, cleaned and remounted the two tires for free under their free flat repair deal.
I have a local speed shop here that normally does mine but I was trying to save a bunch of work on my end swapping wheels around and also save $120 cash.

The Manager called at least 3 times before the install and ensured me the tech was qualified and they had a Hunter Revolution touchless machine.
They even asked for and I e-mailed pictures so she could show the tech and get his agreement. I really covered all my bases and this was just a stupid drop of something.

Soap was the issue last time because I drove home first. I didn't even need go outside on this one. When the car drove up I immediately saw it and thought it was just soap or something. I actually knocked off a bunch of the burrs trying to scratch it off. I could really care less about air pressure or torque since I would set that on my own.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #36
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
“Only” 25% off right now. I kind of hate to buy them as noisy as my rear tires are. Started at 8000 miles, now at 9500 and getting worse. I had DT rotate side to side at 5k. Problem is, there isn’t much that compares at these prices but I will wait for the 30% to return.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #37
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
“Only” 25% off right now. I kind of hate to buy them as noisy as my rear tires are. Started at 8000 miles, now at 9500 and getting worse. I had DT rotate side to side at 5k. Problem is, there isn’t much that compares at these prices but I will wait for the 30% to return.
25% is what I've always gotten in the past. Glad I made my order on Oct 31st and got 30%

Here's what 25% looks like with my local taxes etc. The store I went to couldn't even come close to these prices even without the discount.

Name:  goodyear.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  57.2 KB
Old 11-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #38
blahson
meep meep

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
How am I just now hearing about this??

Sidenote: Where do yall install tires in the Houston area?? I've been going to Discount Tire but my wheels are all sorts of scratched up from them now. I don't mind driving an hour across town, I already do for alignments.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #39
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahson View Post
How am I just now hearing about this??

Sidenote: Where do yall install tires in the Houston area?? I've been going to Discount Tire but my wheels are all sorts of scratched up from them now. I don't mind driving an hour across town, I already do for alignments.
Whitehead Motorsports in Tomball has done mine perfectly on 3 different occasions.

If you order these tires online the only places it will let you select are stores that have the Hunter Revolution touchless machine but you're still taking your chances. At least they will replace the wheel if they screw it up.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #40
shogun37

Drives: none
the discount is back! 25% currently.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
the discount is back! 25% currently.
That's why I made my order on Oct 30th because it showed an end date on the 30% deal. It's typically been 25% over the past couple years.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #42
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I bought a set of Bridgestone S007A's through TR at my work for an ever better discount than the TR clearance. I went 295/30 305/30 for my 1LE. Can't wait to feel the difference on the street vs the OEM Goodyears. I'm at 10,500 miles and they've been noise since about 8000 and down to 4/32nds. Spin like a freak even in 60 plus ambient. I'm sure I'll do the OEM Goodyears when I see them go back to 30% off as my track tire.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote