Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
AWE Touring vs. secondary cat delete

Wondering if the volume/tone of an AWEtouring axleback is worth the cost over the secondary cat deletes I already have. secondary cat delete volume isn't doing it for me but don't want to go headers on this car and bin the warranty yet. Wondering if it has more pops on decel + louder volume at low speed than just secondary cat delete as that is where the current setup is lacking. Have watched almost all the videos there are but not a lot of comparisons vs jsut a secondary delete and seeing as though this car has major tieups sound wise at the manifolds I've always thoughts exhausts aren't really worth it.

I had catless headers + npp on last 6th gen and it was good but a bit much daily driving around LA with the smog enforcement etc. here.

Now that I'm tracking my car I would like to retain the warranty for additional stress to the motor and components on track.

Thanks all

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
chaospiece

Drives: 2018 SS, 2016 GT
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bls_1aun...=1sok4obgxgvle

This is secondary cat delete with cutouts fully open. A lot more drama and the stock pipes funnel it out great.
I get alot of compliments about the sound, people think I have a full catback, but just regular NPP with cutouts before the suitcase muffler.

Noise isn't bad, cops don't bother me, but the sound still splits into the muffler and cutouts. My tips are filthy so alot of sound still filters through.
Best part is I get to close them and back to quiet
chaospiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I have the AWE touring on the same car as you and I'll tell ya the pops and such are fairly present on cold start up and those first few minutes. You run it up in RPM and in gear you'll get it pretty good. After warmup it's noticeably reduced, it's there but the volume/amount is much reduced. Later years cars are tuned to do it a bit more or so I'm told. I couldn't tell you with 2d cat delete.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
My car started out on just a secondary cat delete, it sounded pretty dang good.

Then I went with ARH catless headers into the factory NPP muffler, again for what it was I thought it sounded really dang good. Then I changed the NPP muffler out for the AWE Touring axle back system.

HOLY HECK ...!!!

The car sounds like a freaking insane animal, like wake the dead and make little babies cry loud. I have literally startled several older people when starting the car up at the gas pump and made to little kids cry when the car fires up.

Best sounding car I have ever owned by far.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:37 AM   #5
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I have the AWE touring on the same car as you and I'll tell ya the pops and such are fairly present on cold start up and those first few minutes. You run it up in RPM and in gear you'll get it pretty good. After warmup it's noticeably reduced, it's there but the volume/amount is much reduced. Later years cars are tuned to do it a bit more or so I'm told. I couldn't tell you with 2d cat delete.
Do you have the axleback or catback?

2nd 6th gen
Old 08-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
Do you have the axleback or catback?
Axle
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Axle
what's the change over stock npp - wondering if its worth losing valves? most videos ive seen online are of catback trying to get a feel for whether just the axleback sounds similar/ way better than npp

2nd 6th gen
Old 08-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
what's the change over stock npp - wondering if its worth losing valves? most videos ive seen online are of catback trying to get a feel for whether just the axleback sounds similar/ way better than npp
I did the mbrp race axle back to save some cash. Gave it a way deeper sound and I had also did dB meter before and after and it was average around 12 dB increase.. did the secondary delete after that and now it’s perfect. Not too loud for ca but probly right on the border line
Dvs510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
SloCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvs510 View Post
I did the mbrp race axle back to save some cash. Gave it a way deeper sound and I had also did dB meter before and after and it was average around 12 dB increase.. did the secondary delete after that and now it’s perfect. Not too loud for ca but probly right on the border line
how was the quality and fitment? i feel u on the sound my last car had headers into npp in LA and it was just too much LAPD was giving me looks

2nd 6th gen
Old 12-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
I have the AWE Touring axleback and pops/crackles are everywhere on decel. Fitment is excellent.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Before I installed my headers I put my AWE Touring axleback on and I didn't think it was any louder than the factory NPP. It did, however, change the tone a little and the tips look a lot better. Now with my headers and no cats, much better.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
DarkMaroSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I want to keep my NPP exhaust as stock as possible and not make it too loud by adding headers as well so thought about doing the 2nd Cat Delete which I did today, and honestly, I like the deeper tone, but I don't feel it any louder, or at least not yet.
2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
DarkMaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #13
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
Dude, I have the catback from AWE with the link pipes, and it's dope. Amazing burble on the decel, and glorious pops if you try to rev match on decel.

I started with just the axleback and built into it.

You can't go wrong with the AWE zost work.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
DarkMaroSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danew_377 View Post
Dude, I have the catback from AWE with the link pipes, and it's dope. Amazing burble on the decel, and glorious pops if you try to rev match on decel.

I started with just the axleback and built into it.

You can't go wrong with the AWE zost work.

Nice…I was hoping for those burbles when I removed my 2nd cats but I haven’t one so far. Regardless, this guy down here did an awesome job on the cat delete:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Camaro 1SS | BBK 92mm TB | GPI Ported LT1 Manifold | ColdAirInductions CAI | Granatelli Wires and MSD coils | Mishimoto Catch Can | GMP Black Strut Tower Brace | NPP Exhaust and 2nd Cat Delete | Recaro Seats | GM Stainless Sport Pedal Kit | GM Carbon Fiber Shift Knob | Deck Lid Spoiler with Wicker Bill | Smoked Sequential Taillights | Smoked Third-Brake Light | 1LE Front Splitter/Satin Black | ZL1Addons Splash Guards

2015 Camaro SS/RS (Sold)
DarkMaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote