Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
JRB0249

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 ... TPW 6/22/2020
Rain/Snow Blocker Removal

Hey fellas, for those who have removed the Rain/Snow blocker in the grill, I am looking for an honest assessment of the risk for rain getting into the intake.

I have a Rotofab CAI installed, so I would assume it would take a lot to get up to that point.

Though my A10 '20 is not a daily driver, I am in Florida where spontaneous monsoons are prevalent. For the most part, I can control not driving in adverse conditions, but I am concerned for the low chance I get caught up in a storm and rain gets "ram aired" into the intake.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
GM wouldn't have added the time of development and expense of a part if they didn't think it was necessary. I won't pretend to suggest they spent millions on engineering on a part that costs like $5 to produce, but if, for example, they (and every other manufacturer) skimp on not painting what they don't need to (just look under the hood or chassis for the OEM e-coat where there is neither base coat or clearcoat) to save however much that is on materials, they won't add a part unless it is necessary. I recall reading a part of the book about the 6th Gen where they added a brace to the chassis only on V8 cars (because they needed the extra strength) around the rear torque box. That's one of a couple examples I can argue.

If that part didn't need to be there, they wouldn't add it. I removed mine because I have no intent on driving much in the rain. I would be willing to bet, though, that unless you were under heavy throttle much (and I'm not sure how one could be with this car in the rain), you likely don't have much to worry about. I only have theories though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
see https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582842
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I removed mine because I have no intent on driving much in the rain.
Notice any difference (power/throttle response)? Does it block off say 40% of the intake tract area?
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Notice any difference (power/throttle response)? Does it block off say 40% of the intake tract area?
I am pretty sure the only real benefit of this is to lower IATs by being able to pull in more air from outside the engine compartment.

I myself have the velossa scoop and I don't think it really does anything besides funneling the relatively cooler ambient air into the intake tract.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Hellcats have a direct hole from the headlight to the airbox. Remove it and don't think about it anymore.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
I have a VelossaTech scooping thingy, I've removed the rain/snow blocker and the SC lid damper with no issues.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
As another reader posted, you build boost a little faster without the blocker. This gives a bit more punch in the low end. Nothing dramatic but it is noticeable. I also think 6th gear on the standard m6 ZL1 has a little more power likely due to a ram air affect at highway speeds.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB0249 View Post
Hey fellas, for those who have removed the Rain/Snow blocker in the grill, I am looking for an honest assessment of the risk for rain getting into the intake.

I have a Rotofab CAI installed, so I would assume it would take a lot to get up to that point.

Though my A10 '20 is not a daily driver, I am in Florida where spontaneous monsoons are prevalent. For the most part, I can control not driving in adverse conditions, but I am concerned for the low chance I get caught up in a storm and rain gets "ram aired" into the intake.

Thanks guys!
I use a 2000 PSI power washer to clean my car. I’ve spayed the front grill dozens of times with a the powerwasher without any issues.

The intake inlet sits pretty much behind the driver side headlight so the airflow path has a slight curve to it.

I suppose if you drive your car directly into the path of category 4 hurricane there’s a chance you might suck in some water. But I wouldn’t be too worried about a typical thunderstorm.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Is this part present in a ZLE too?
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:56 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I can't say that I did. I did it right after the 2650, between that, and not having driven the car much (I only had the car about 800-miles before adding the 2650; and put those miles on over the course of about 6-months, so I don't drive it regularly enough to really evaluate a smaller change, like that), I couldn't say it was or wasn't worth it. Having, theoretically, more cool air push toward the air box was what I was after. I can tell you, though, moving from the standard RF to their BG was a fairly big difference in flow through the MAF and there was a considerable increase in blower sound. I add those comments because I believe these changes in the intake track can make a difference if you allow the ECM to take advantage of them. Maybe, for the purposes of the deflector, it won't be as big a difference, at least until you're at-speed, but all the little (correct) stuff can add up.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Thanks, but expect a green filter alone makes a significant difference - the stock air filter is thick and restrictive
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote