Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
GM Performance Driveshaft for $125..

So for a M6 Camaro you can buy a GM Performance Driveshaft for $1095. Or you can buy a EBay ZL1-1le (so you KNOW it is a manual), and just bolt it in. I paid $125 for mine with no donuts.

For donuts, as far as I can tell the ZL1-1LE donuts look to have more "windows" vs the SS. Here is a picture of my SS donut. Post your ZL1 donut. Now save some money and get your self a bullet proof shaft. I will say this, if I had more time I would probably melt down urethane and fill the secondary mount, because it is the same super flexible rubber and it is too weak IMO to hold against heavy launches. Or maybe some sort of self hardening rubber like the liquid tape.
Attached Images

Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Good find
Def a much less expensive option for us M6 guys

So this basically fits the same as stock driveshaft?
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
MrNooNoos

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
BUMP

Any updates with the driveshaft? How's it holding up?
MrNooNoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
My thoughts on the driveshaft is that the middle "carrier bearing" thing is so loose and weak that it allows too much up and down movement on big power which turns to weird angles and makes things break?

Just go shift back in forth in a garage and listen to how loose and sloppy and cheap crappy it sounds from the driveshaft banging up and down.

Does the ZL1 one seem any stiffer with up and down motion? I assume the excess slope in the carrier bearing is to try to absorb and dampen vibration at higher speeds (I believe these driveshafts are inherently subject to vibrations at highway speeds)

I'm not sure if the donut thing is made to be sort of like a rag joint or if its for vibration as well.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #5
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Oldman has only put a total of about 2000 miles on his "build" before parting it out so honestly it's not going to be enough to gauge drivability issues with this driveshaft.
Anyone else have experience with these ?
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I ended up buying one of these, I’ll try it and let you know, next time I get the exhaust off I’ll throw it on

Edit: additional info

I don’t have the original off the car yet so no side by side. the weight of the SS shaft is a distant memory right now but first reaction to holding this zl1 unit in my hands, seems pretty light I was expecting something more bulky. I will be weighing them but just wanted to share. Gives hope it could just be a design or material improvement that wasn’t implemented on the SS as a cost saving measure so only upside to this swap. Stay tuned

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 04-25-2021 at 01:09 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
oldman

it was a couple of # heavier.
The center bearing is held in by thin rubber on either shaft, probably could melt urethane and pour it in..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
jimadvig

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Does anyone have the part number for the ZL1/1LE driveshaft? It looks like the ZL1 is 84306997. Not sure if that one is the same as the 1LE version or not.
Camaro 1SS M6 - LT2 IM, 1-7/8" Speed Engineering Headers & catless 3" x-pipe to Borla ATAK NPP axle back, Mishimoto Catch Can, BTR Rocker Arm Trunnion kit, E85, 95MM TB, JLT CAI, 180* T-Stat, & SJM line lock - Tuned by Ted Jannetty
jimadvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:13 PM   #9
oldman

OK, maybe somebody should put this as a sticky.
Zl1 manual driveshaft is a direct bolt into a 2016 manual SS
ZL1 non-convertible driver's side axle shaft is a direct bolt into a 2016 manual SS
Zl1 non-convertible passenger side shaft needs a 3/4" aluminum spacer fab at the diff stub axle about 3 to 4 hours of work with drill press other than that (and longer high grade bolts) it is a direct bolt.

Zl1 convertible stuff is probably identical to the SS stuff... but don't know or care.