Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
realitywarp

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Question Does the JRE dipstick kit fit a 2015 LS2?

I have a 2015 LS2 which as far as I can find has the 6L50 transmission (source https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/camaro/2015.tab1.html )

Does the JRE kit fit my car, or is there another kit someone makes that will fit?

Finding information on this specific transmission isn't terribly easy, since most of the articles and forum posts I found in my 2-hour search regarding transmission stuff are for the SS.
realitywarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:40 PM   #2
realitywarp

Based on this old thread I dug up it seems the JRE kit will NOT fit without significant modification. If anyone can weigh in on alternate solutions (ideally that don't require welding, lol) I'm all ears!
Old 03-16-2023, 08:50 PM   #3
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
LS2 or 2LS? There's a huge difference.

The JRE dipstick is for the 6L80 and 6L90, like it says on the website.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:48 PM   #4
realitywarp

Found this thread https://www.coloradofans.com/threads....379417/page-4 on the Chevy Colorado forums of all places, not sure if it will help anyone since I haven't had time to read through the whole thing but I wonder...
Old 03-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
realitywarp

After having some time to read the thread on using a kit on a 2nd gen Colorado with the same transmission as our V6 cars, I believe that the 24" firewall-mount dipstick kit from Lokar, while expensive, will work for the application. As the hose is flexible, it will be suitable for a range of mounting options. I'll purchase the kit, part number XTD-36L80FM.

The Colorado forum guys had to use the 36" version of the kit, but as the Colorado is a much bigger vehicle with a much taller engine bay I think the 24" kit will work. Before I order I will run a measuring tape down to the level check plug and see what mounting options would be available. There's a small price difference - the 24" kit is $161.95 from Summit Racing, while the 36" version is $176.95. That's quite a bit more expensive than the JRE kit, but will be far easier to mount. I might have to fab up a bracket depending on the optimal routing. I have a 3d printer, luckily, so I can prototype out a bracket in plastic before doing any metalwork (it's entirely possible a high-temp 3d printed bracket would be strong enough, but I don't have the ability to print in a durable enough material at this time).

I also heard back from JRE, who said:
"Hello Reality. The 6L80/6L90 dipstick tube is compatible with all of the 6LXX transmissions, but for any application other than those listed in the product description, you'd most likely need to modify the mounting bracket for the tube in order for it to fasten into the car properly. The dipstick tube may also have physical fitment issues in any vehicles other than those listed."
Old 03-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #6
realitywarp

2LS, my mistake, thanks for pointing out that typo.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Please post results with pics. I've got a trans fluid/filter change in the near future on my '15 2LS. May consider this mod.

Tags
2015, dipstick, transmission