Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-23-2022, 05:54 AM   #43
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Thx red hot, obviously yours included instructions!
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #44
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
No doubt. Not to contradict my point from earlier, when you make the chassis stiffer you will make it more responsive and more communicative. All benefits. But you do this at the cost of increased tire wear and reduced compliance over uneven roads. On smooth surfaces, stiffer works fantastic. On uneven surfaces it becomes a handicap. I'd venture to say that GM may have even been able to beat that 7:16 Nurburgring time had the chassis been even more compliant.

If you get out of the ZL1 1LE and jump right into a Porsche GT3, the Porsche feels "softer" by comparison. It's just a more compliant platform. Having more compliance allows you to get on the power earlier coming out of most corners.

Think of it this way... if you've ever raced you know that you soften suspension settings in wet weather to maintain traction. You need more compliance. Stiffer settings tend to overwhelm a machine's ability to keep the tires glued to the ground. Same in the dry..... the closer you get to the limit the more compliance you need.

Lastly, Rigid setups are very unforgiving. The stiffer you make it, the less likely it will tolerate input errors.

Let's also take the C8 for example. It's down 150HP, and the chassis/suspension is very soft. Yet, it's very close in laptimes to the ZL1 in most tests while running street tires and not R compound. In spite of the understeer problems it still laps fast because the soft-ish chassis is very compliant. It's well mannered when it comes to putting the power down.
Wouldn't disagree with most of what you said, the stiffer the chassis is, the more work your asking the tires to handle. Some people forget the tires are part of the suspension system. My thought is the flex in the rear arms is more to dampen the shock from the power to the wheels. The flex seems to be torsional more so than up and down. The way they have the bog setup in the tune kinda makes me think they used other systems as well to help with power train shock.

As far as the Porsche having more compliance, couldn't answer that as I've never been in one. I will say my belief for the reason they can put the power down earlier may not be compliance related as much as all the weight is sitting on the rear tires. Giving it maximum grip on acceleration coming out of the turn, no peddling it like is needed with our cars at times. Suspension systems are give and take, sometimes they need to be loosened, sometimes tightened, and then you take into account personal preferences for how they like the car to handle, it is a big can of worms. What works well for one person may be totally off for someone else's driving style
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:03 PM   #45
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Wouldn't disagree with most of what you said, the stiffer the chassis is, the more work your asking the tires to handle. Some people forget the tires are part of the suspension system. My thought is the flex in the rear arms is more to dampen the shock from the power to the wheels. The flex seems to be torsional more so than up and down. The way they have the bog setup in the tune kinda makes me think they used other systems as well to help with power train shock.

As far as the Porsche having more compliance, couldn't answer that as I've never been in one. I will say my belief for the reason they can put the power down earlier may not be compliance related as much as all the weight is sitting on the rear tires. Giving it maximum grip on acceleration coming out of the turn, no peddling it like is needed with our cars at times. Suspension systems are give and take, sometimes they need to be loosened, sometimes tightened, and then you take into account personal preferences for how they like the car to handle, it is a big can of worms. What works well for one person may be totally off for someone else's driving style
There is a lot to unpack in this thread due to the complexity of vehicle design and suspension tuning, but there a few rules of thumb 1) For cars - builders/manufacturers always go with the stiffest chassis that makes economic sense and then tune the suspension for handling and performance. It's easier to tune a stiff car than a flexible one. 2) For bikes - builders/manufacturers tune the frame (within economic sense) as well as the suspension as the frame is a significant part of the suspension when the bike is leaned over (bikes leaning over is essential to turning, much less so for cars).
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #46
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Thanks for the insight Apex
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #47
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I bet the stock one fits. The edelbrock SC is taller then the LT4 oem. I can feel a difference in tightness of turning the wheels when its on or off. Not sure it helps in handling.
Attached Images

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:34 AM   #48
Indeemusicinc

Drives: Camaro ZL1
BMR-STB020 ZL1 Strut tower Brace

i just got my BMR-STB020 for my 2023 ZL1 installed it and it fits great and looks awesome! Got it From Raptor Racing In Mississauga, George is Awesome great customer service. Easy Install, Zero Rubbing perfect fit no issues and while its mainly cosmetic because i do not plan to track my car to possibly experience the benefit of this strut tower bar its chunky and looks great. I recommend it!
Attached Images

Last edited by Indeemusicinc; 06-24-2023 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention where i got it.
Indeemusicinc is offline   Reply With Quote