Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Motive 4.10 or Yukon 4.11 gears

Wondering from guys that have had experience with both , what ones is stronger and can take abuse
Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Camarokid1996
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/rs TF edition
Bump. I'm looking to do a gear swap too
Camarokid1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Seems like Andrew Cammer is having better luck with his Yukons than the Motives but I believe Zlathim is doing fine with the Motives
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Hey guys. I've had both, as well as Richmond 4.10s. The only ones I actual broke were the Richmonds - I took 5 teeth off the ring gear, on street tires. Then I did Motives. Install was a little questionable, but they were fine, they got a little noisy, but I don't think they were setup quite right - which was affirmed by having a crush collar fail about 3k miles into running them. I drove it 200+ miles home with no pinion preload, and then after resetting up the rear properly it was pretty noisy. Still made a bunch of track hits and held up great. But, the posi was weak, and I wanted to get it quieter.

So, I rebuilt again, this time with a tru-track and Yukon 4.11s. The Yukon's have a 2 year warranty through my supplier, so that was part of the decision. 7k+ miles into that setup, and many 1.6x-1.7x 60's later and they are still working great. They aren't quiet. I've determine that nothing will be quiet in my car, I have solid aluminum sub-frame bushings, BMR Pro poly diff bushings, and a LPW steel diff cover (with load bolts tigthened right to the ring gear caps). So, it's the perfect storm for transferring any noise the rear makes straight into the car. I think it's that diff cover more than anything, that steel, bolted right to the ring gear, is just a stethoscope right to the source.

Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with either Motive or Yukon. M6 cars are super hard on rear ends, I recommend spending the money on good bearings, the diff cover, and the trutrac while you're in there - do it once, and do it right. And, I say it all the time, but a little driveline preload on the hit, especially at the track on sticky tires, goes a long way to keeping these things alive.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote