#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I think the problem here is that now some people DO see the regular ZL1 as obsolete now. That is just absurd to me personally....
I really feel that will be isolated to folks who 'think' they know Camaro, but are actually clueless on the differences...my rational is that there will be so few 1LE's seen on the road that our 'basic' ZL1's will still be viewed as top dog. To those that would turn their nose now at a standard ZL1 do not get it & not worth engaging on the differences & likely drive a rice burner.

It's really a non-issue to me, I didn't get this car for attn or any notoriety & sorta dig it will fly under the radar to most & raise an eye to mostly savvy car enthusiasts.

Mostly sorry the whole issue is sticking in the craw of so many here...I certainly won't get any satisfaction or pride my ZL1 is somehow better & is scores faster above an SS or hot mustang / charger. Hell, they are great cars in their own right. I'm getting this A10 because it is what I have been waiting for literally decades & tickles my funny bone. The fact we now have what is really a race version is awesome & hope the Z28 can smoke it in the future.

I'm so excited about taking possession of this fifty year ZL1!! Feel like a kid at Christmas & has been a long time I have felt that down in my gut. I hope those feeling sucker punched soon subsides & can get back to being giggity again.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Remove the aero, then remove the supercharger and get some normal all season tires.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
psalmon123

Drives: 2015 Z07 2017 ZL1
I'm going the other direction, buying a "Stock" Zl1 convert with an A10 and putting the 1LE aero on. People on the street will go "What the f**k is that?"
psalmon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalmon123 View Post
I'm going the other direction, buying a "Stock" Zl1 convert with an A10 and putting the 1LE aero on. People on the street will go "What the f**k is that?"
^^^This... the baddest ZL1 will be the A10 1LE.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
First thing, there is nothing wrong with a "standard" ZL1, it's a hell of a car and an incredible performance bargain. I personally just want the ZL1 with the 1LE package, it's an emotional purchase, nothing more. Second, removing the front canards and rear spoiler to keep them from being stolen (rear spoiler) or damaged is not wrong and it does nothing to the performance on the street. I'd be replacing them with stock ZL1 parts and could put the original wing and canards back on at any time. It's not that big of a deal and I'm sure I won't be the only one to change or modify the car.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #20
Stingray23

Drives: 2012 Ford SVT Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
First thing, there is nothing wrong with a "standard" ZL1, it's a hell of a car and an incredible performance bargain. I personally just want the ZL1 with the 1LE package, it's an emotional purchase, nothing more. Second, removing the front canards and rear spoiler to keep them from being stolen (rear spoiler) or damaged is not wrong and it does nothing to the performance on the street. I'd be replacing them with stock ZL1 parts and could put the original wing and canards back on at any time. It's not that big of a deal and I'm sure I won't be the only one to change or modify the car.

JFC, then its not a 1LE. The purpose of that package is the down force it will generate. If you remove them for fear that someone will steal them(WTF do you live?) then might as well get the ZL1 without the 1LE pack and wrap your hood. lol. Much cheaper. I think you are just trying to convince yourself that you will have the "superior" car. Its a mental thing.
Stingray23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #21
762CAT

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
I actually thought along the same lines...sort of. I would track the car and I would also drag race the car. I'd like to see the aero be removable for high speed events, drag racing and for just not looking like you have a picnic table on the back driving around town. Going to a track day...put it back on. There is more here than just the Aero... I like the wider rear tires, the red calipers and the wheels.....but then that begs the other question.

In perfect world I would get a regular A10 ZL1 with its magride suspension..(face it you drive on the street more than the track and the suspension is already great) and I'd get it with the ZL1 1LE wheels, brakes and tires with the Aero pieces to add on for track days.

It would be so much better if it wasn't a different car altogether and just a set of additional options you could tailor.

EDIT: I know it can be removed..anything can..I mean an easily interchangeable system with the standard ZL1 spoiler etc..
762CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #22
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762CAT View Post
I actually thought along the same lines...sort of. I would track the car and I would also drag race the car. I'd like to see the aero be removable for high speed events, drag racing and for just not looking like you have a picnic table on the back driving around town. Going to a track day...put it back on. There is more here than just the Aero... I like the wider rear tires, the red calipers and the wheels.....but then that begs the other question.

In perfect world I would get a regular A10 ZL1 with its magride suspension..(face it you drive on the street more than the track and the suspension is already great) and I'd get it with the ZL1 1LE wheels, brakes and tires with the Aero pieces to add on for track days.

It would be so much better if it wasn't a different car altogether and just a set of additional options you could tailor.

EDIT: I know it can be removed..anything can..I mean an easily interchangeable system with the standard ZL1 spoiler etc..
Is it a different car altogether or just an option. They just swapped out a few pieces from a standard ZL1.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #23
762CAT

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Is it a different car altogether or just an option. They just swapped out a few pieces from a standard ZL1.
Pricing will tell but they seem to be marketing it as a different car.... It's Manual only, it has different suspension, wheels, calipers, tires, aero...

I guess that is what I'm saying. It should not be a different car altogether or marketed/priced as such. It should just be options. Sort of like the Z07 package on the Z06.
762CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762CAT View Post
Pricing will tell but they seem to be marketing it as a different car.... It's Manual only, it has different suspension, wheels, calipers, tires, aero...

I guess that is what I'm saying. It should not be a different car altogether or marketed/priced as such. It should just be options. Sort of like the Z07 package on the Z06.
I think that would be the smart move. Build them more as needed vs. Have them sit at dealers.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #25
08z51c6

To me it's not that big of a deal nor is it any different from the guy who wants to add the 1LE aero bits to his ZL1. Lots of people bought the Z06 with the Z07 package and never tracked their car. GM should have made some hard core aero bits removable any way.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #26
fattyz28

Drives: 20 2SS 1LE
I get where you are coming from. I'm not big on the wing or front aesthetically, either. I do like the other goodies it has though.

It's your car to do what you want with it. I'm just curious what the opening will look like after you remove the front canards. There very well might be holes behind them also. I doubt 3m tape can keep them on by itself.
fattyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #27
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyz28 View Post
I get where you are coming from. I'm not big on the wing or front aesthetically, either. I do like the other goodies it has though.

It's your car to do what you want with it. I'm just curious what the opening will look like after you remove the front canards. There very well might be holes behind them also. I doubt 3m tape can keep them on by itself.
I was going to replace the front canards with the ZL1 air ducts. Not sure how they are fastened on, that remains to be seen. If there are holes there then that changes things.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
I was going to replace the front canards with the ZL1 air ducts. Not sure how they are fastened on, that remains to be seen. If there are holes there then that changes things.
There will be holes where the dive-planes are located.