Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2021, 12:42 AM   #43
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
40F today in Denver. Put it through its paces.
I heard the Gen6 shares the same seat assemble/motor of the C7 corvette. Thats why the don't recline.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #44
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Why is it hard to live with?
I had 2 oversize items that I needed to dispose of the other day that wouldn't fit inside so I had to saw them in to 10 smaller pieces to get them in the trunk. Too, I had to opt for a $60 Lowe's delivery of some outsized pieces recently that would fit in most other types of vehicles. So in that way when it's my only car it can be a PITA on the occasion that I need to move something. Too, When I swap summer and winter tires I can't get two 305's and 2 285's in the car all at the same time without playing advanced Tetris. So that's about it...minor stuff but it's a hassle in some instances.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #45
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I had 2 oversize items that I needed to dispose of the other day that wouldn't fit inside so I had to saw them in to 10 smaller pieces to get them in the trunk. Too, I had to opt for a $60 Lowe's delivery of some outsized pieces recently that would fit in most other types of vehicles. So in that way when it's my only car it can be a PITA on the occasion that I need to move something. Too, When I swap summer and winter tires I can't get two 305's and 2 285's in the car all at the same time without playing advanced Tetris. So that's about it...minor stuff but it's a hassle in some instances.

The way I see it is that for the maybe a couple of times a year it would be nice to have something bigger, I can rent a truck, or get a friend or family to help and pay for gas and food. It's still cheaper than having a second vehicle for those things or only having a bigger vehicle that is less capable/fun. Also, it keeps me from buying bigger things I really don't need.

I've fit 4 305s in the car. One in the trunk, barely, 2 in the back seat, and one in the front seat. I've also made a couple of trips if where I'm going is close and don't feel like dealing with it.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #46
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
So you ran it to about 197,000 mi. before the rebuild? Any power loss before the rebuild? Was it smoking?
No power loss that I could feel - and I never saw any smoke. Clearly some had to be sneaking out - just not enough for me to spot.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #47
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I DD my 6 speed SS about 11 miles each way since Dec 2016. I live in south jersey.
Personally I think snow tires are overkill for Jersey, but to each his own. I run all-seasons.
Only issue I had was excess wear on the front rotors causing pedal pulsation. This happened twice until I changed out the stock semi-metallic pads for ceramics.
With the short commute you may run into battery recharging issues. Also the engine is not going to fully warm up (thermostat will not open) when it is cold out (like now). But if she doesn't drive it hard and it is only 2 years you should be fine.
I considered going the all season route and selling off the GYs. But then its going to be my wife so I decided on the snows and wearing out the GYs. The new snows are way more effective than the old mud-grip looking snows we used to have.. I started driving in 1972. Everything was front engine rear drive. Everything I ever owned then was a V-8. Mostly I had snows. Never had a problem at all. And they didnt use salt in my town in that time frame.
But I dont want her to get stressed so its snows and likely a bag of sand in the trunk. Or even more likely Ill come in from plowing and take her to work if its a real snow.
To be honest I was not planning to deal with the tires till next year. I was taken by surprise that GY doesnt even recommend these tires stay out in sub freezing temps at all.
It might be a bit more than 6. maybe 10 but your right about the fluids coming up to temp. Thats always an issue with a short commute. Whats with the battery? Being used every day should be enough to keep a battery charged. I have to say our car sat a few months at the dealer and the battery needed to be replaced for us. Is there something unusual draining the batteries in the Camaro?
The snows came in yesterday and I was going to mount them today. but a snow squall came in about 5am and put almost an inch down... It was a bit icy so every agency came out and dumped a billion tons of salt. I probably wont drive it in on all that salt tomorrow either. Maybe Friday or Saturday.
Did I mention I hate salt?
MR's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #48
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
I considered going the all season route and selling off the GYs. But then its going to be my wife so I decided on the snows and wearing out the GYs. The new snows are way more effective than the old mud-grip looking snows we used to have.. I started driving in 1972. Everything was front engine rear drive. Everything I ever owned then was a V-8. Mostly I had snows. Never had a problem at all. And they didnt use salt in my town in that time frame.
But I dont want her to get stressed so its snows and likely a bag of sand in the trunk. Or even more likely Ill come in from plowing and take her to work if its a real snow.
To be honest I was not planning to deal with the tires till next year. I was taken by surprise that GY doesnt even recommend these tires stay out in sub freezing temps at all.
It might be a bit more than 6. maybe 10 but your right about the fluids coming up to temp. Thats always an issue with a short commute. Whats with the battery? Being used every day should be enough to keep a battery charged. I have to say our car sat a few months at the dealer and the battery needed to be replaced for us. Is there something unusual draining the batteries in the Camaro?
The snows came in yesterday and I was going to mount them today. but a snow squall came in about 5am and put almost an inch down... It was a bit icy so every agency came out and dumped a billion tons of salt. I probably wont drive it in on all that salt tomorrow either. Maybe Friday or Saturday.
Did I mention I hate salt?

I would do all seasons. Do you live in coastal Jersey? If so I wouldn't bother with snow tires as it doesn't snow as often there.

I'm from St. Louis originally and some years it hardly snows at all there. I would never put snow tires on a car up there when you on average only get maybe 4 snows a season where you'd need them.

You'd think St. Louis snows are a joke anyway. When it's 3 inches schools all cancel.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #49
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
I wouldnt do snows on the summer rims. But I went for 245/50/18s and Vredestien snows. Wheels and tires. Ill just swap them in season. Even still will probably go for all seasons because of performance in the rain. We do get plenty of that here.
But if it really snows we have the truck. She can work from home. Or Ill come get her.
I imagine the Florida rental cars have the same GYs. As I recall they werent great in the heavy rain.
MR's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #50
josephr25

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I DD my 1SS 1LE in Track Mode. I ruined the splitter the day i got it so i kinda don't worry about those things. No issues. I drive about 15-20 miles a day
josephr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #51
volnedan

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 6MT
Quote:
I wouldnt do snows on the summer rims. But I went for 245/50/18s and Vredestien snows. Wheels and tires. Ill just swap them in season. Even still will probably go for all seasons because of performance in the rain. We do get plenty of that here.
But if it really snows we have the truck. She can work from home. Or Ill come get her.
Agreed, my winter setup is same as yours. The stock all seasons on my LT1 were pretty useless in the snow when I tried them the day after I got the car. It was only 2-3", and even in snow mode with light throttle I was all over the place.

I was able to fit the stock 20s in my car on the way to Discount Tire. One in the trunk, two in the back seat (folder down) and one in the passenger seat. Tight fit but only 2 miles to the shop.
volnedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #52
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I imagine the Florida rental cars have the same GYs. As I recall they werent great in the heavy rain.

My 2012 Mustang GT came with all season Pirellis up in St. Louis.

I would never put snow tires on a performance car. Besides in St. Louis it rarely ever snows enough to warrant buying snow tires. Usually just sticks around a couple days when it does snow.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #53
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I daily my '21 LT1 - she does fine. We saw snow once and a trip to the mountains - all seasons work great for the coastal Mid Atlantic, have to get out to the mountains or farther North to truly need winter tires.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:05 AM   #54
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I went out and bought a beater '02 Sierra to handle these particular duties. I was getting ready to move and I couldn't even bring home empty boxes (was my 5th gen at the time). The pickup solved all that right quick. Think I got it as-is at a local used dealer lot for 4k or something. Been worth every penny over the last 5 years or so. Ended up being my winter daily on top of it all.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote