Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #71
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan01 View Post
I was told when you put it in sport mode and enable competitive driving mode that will disable all the nannies. Is that accurate?
hmm as I remember it you hold down the traction control button for like 20 seconds which turns all nannie off.

I am still waiting to go get my LT1 once the weather breaks.

You will see some dash lights come on telling you you are on your own.

From another thread:

Go to sport mode, and hit the button 2x..no TQ limits + some stabilitrack if you really get out of shape. It's called Competitive Driving Mode.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #72
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yeah Competition Mode turns everything off! I have only driven my ZL1 a couple of times in that mode! Think some of my Camaro club members call that “Race Mode” especially the one with a 2015 ZL1!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #73
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yea who was the engineer placing the spark distributer under the water pump? I hope the engineer learned from that mistake. I am going to carefully look the engine over before I sign the paperwork om my LT1/LT1.
I seemed to hear scuddle back in the day of things like packaging. The LT1 then was shoved half way into the fire wall and with the distributor in the back there would potentially be clearance issues. The other argument I remember was that igntion timing was more accurate since it was located at the front as opposed to the other end of the bumpstick in the back.

They are probably neither the true reason Opti existed but i just recall hearing those things.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #74
ryan01

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I remember buying the MSD opti that was supposed to be good and never got it to work consistently. Then I bought a Dynaspark opti and that thing was great. It still on the car today.
ryan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #75
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
The LT1 with the optispark should have been designed with coil on plug or at least a coil pack or 2 coil packs. One for each bank. Why they went with that front distributor was beyond me. Changed tons of them and also swapped a few cars to the MSD units. The MSD units were crap too. I don’t think myself or any of my friends that put them in ever had good working ones.
They had to relocate the distributor though cause if they tried to leave it in the conventional location, it would be under, if it fit, the windshield. If you were to ever need to swap a distributor or cap and rotor you would have likely had to drop the engine.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #76
LT4Greg

I always thought that the 4th gen was a bad design under the hood! Yeah Scottyz, I had a couple of mechanic friends back then that hated with a passion working on a 4th gen especially to change the Opticrap as it was known back then. The C4 Corvettes that had the engine weren’t as bad to work on as the Camaros or Firebirds, but still a pain in the ass to replace the Optispark. Most of the time when they went bad was because of a leaking water pump and it was not cheap for the labor to replace one either. I know my 1998 SS was a pain to change the back spark plugs/wires but was easier than the 93-97 F-bodies.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #77
LT4Greg

Fraxum, you will have the new LT1engine in your 2020 LT1! No worries about Optispark!��
Old 02-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #78
Devstrike

I am new to the Camaro but does my LT1 10 speed have optispark? What is Optispark? Lol sorry if those are stupid questions I tried the search thing and it gave me threads but not the answers I was looking for.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #79
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I am new to the Camaro but does my LT1 10 speed have optispark? What is Optispark? Lol sorry if those are stupid questions I tried the search thing and it gave me threads but not the answers I was looking for.
Optispark was basically a distributor that was mounted to the front of the Generation 2 small block Chevy engine. It supplied the voltage to the spark plugs for spark.
The new LT1 engine is a generation 5 small block Chevy engine. It does not use a distributor for spark but rather it uses one coil per plug. Far better and far more effective design.
Not a stupid question. Better to ask if you don’t know.
So no your engine does not have optispark
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #80
LT4Greg

Thank God the LT1s in the gen6 Camaro aren’t the same as the 2nd gen small block LT1s in the 1993-97 4th gen Camaros/Firebirds!
Old 02-25-2020, 11:44 PM   #81
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The opti was put in front to drive off the timing chain side. Torsion on the cam would/could throw timing off a butt hair.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 AM   #82
Devstrike

Thank you for the answers Scottyz much appreciated
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #83
Jason16ss

Drives: 2016 SS camaro
No I haven't even had mine for three months and I've had nothing but problems been broke down in the garage most of the time with electrical or computer issues only got 38000 miles on worst purchase ever
Jason16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #84
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason16ss View Post
No I haven't even had mine for three months and I've had nothing but problems been broke down in the garage most of the time with electrical or computer issues only got 38000 miles on worst purchase ever
You bought a 2020 LT1 and already put 38K on it?