Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
so here is a question as i am looking at oil for my 2020 1le that takes 0w40

how important is "Dexos2" cause as far as i understand its just a sticker oil companies pay for that says they tested this and it work for you dexos2 approved engine.

Ive been looking at redline 0w40 casue it has a great HTHS number and solid numbers all around. much higher than the mobil 1 0w40.

what do you think?
Well, Dexos2 is more than just a sticker manufacturers pay for. It is an official approval by an engine manufacturer (GM in this case, but the same is followed by pretty much all of them) to signify that you can use this oil and maintain *their* FREE 5 year drivetrain warranty. No manufacturer would approve sub std oil as that would mean more cost to them for warranty repairs.
So it takes guessing out of the decision making imo.

Per the response above, i too have always used warranted fluids for all my cars and trucks. With ZERO issues, albeit i beat up on them pretty good.

Note that any approved Dexos2 0 or 5w40 oil is already a big step up from 5w30, which is still approved for street only. Not the same motor, but i had used Mobil1 5w30 in my LS6 Vette for over a decade tracking the car with zero issues. That car is 2003MY and still being tracked with its original motor!

Now there are folks who "like", or "prefer", or "recommend" whatever oil THEY believe is best. But it is GM not them that will replace your motor, or cats if they get damaged. Why would anyone wish to screw with a 5 yr warranty i have no idea. But that's just me and obviously folks can put in whatever they wish, based on whatever they believe in.

Btw this subject has been covered in some detail in Mechanical Maintenance section of this forum, incl a sticky. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I'd stick with M1 0w40 ESP with the Dexos 2 cert.

Part of the cert is likely a low volatility base stock that plays nice with the direct injection and emissions equipment, I think that's the main difference between the ESP and regular Euro 0w40 that does not have the cert.

I would NOT assume it's simply a sticker that means nothing, and even if it is, it's required to keep your warranty.
+1
Old 12-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I'd stick with M1 0w40 ESP with the Dexos 2 cert.

Part of the cert is likely a low volatility base stock that plays nice with the direct injection and emissions equipment, I think that's the main difference between the ESP and regular Euro 0w40 that does not have the cert.

I would NOT assume it's simply a sticker that means nothing, and even if it is, it's required to keep your warranty.
yeah keeping the warranty is important as well.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #18
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well, Dexos2 is more than just a sticker manufacturers pay for. It is an official approval by an engine manufacturer (GM in this case, but the same is followed by pretty much all of them) to signify that you can use this oil and maintain *their* FREE 5 year drivetrain warranty. No manufacturer would approve sub std oil as that would mean more cost to them for warranty repairs.
So it takes guessing out of the decision making imo.

Per the response above, i too have always used warranted fluids for all my cars and trucks. With ZERO issues, albeit i beat up on them pretty good.

Note that any approved Dexos2 0 or 5w40 oil is already a big step up from 5w30, which is still approved for street only. Not the same motor, but i had used Mobil1 5w30 in my LS6 Vette for over a decade tracking the car with zero issues. That car is 2003MY and still being tracked with its original motor!

Now there are folks who "like", or "prefer", or "recommend" whatever oil THEY believe is best. But it is GM not them that will replace your motor, or cats if they get damaged. Why would anyone wish to screw with a 5 yr warranty i have no idea. But that's just me and obviously folks can put in whatever they wish, based on whatever they believe in.

Btw this subject has been covered in some detail in Mechanical Maintenance section of this forum, incl a sticky. Cheers!
for sure. I mean the numbers on the 0w40 ESP MB1 is quite good so its not like i can go wrong with using it!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
I just find it interesting that the ZLE Performance Supplement advises M1 15w50for track use, which is not Dexos 2.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Note that Valvoline has changed this oil's recipe to broaden its use and as a consequence it is no longer certified as Dexos2 for Camaros.

Thank you to Timbo for alerting us about this change in the Mechanical section, Camaro oil sticky.

Cheers!

My friend at Valvoline said that they just stopped paying the license. It is the same stuff.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #21
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

My oil samples on Valvoline with street and racing miles. Fram Ultra Guard filter. FYI, I saw a recent Facebook post of an oil report using The Mobil 0-40 and it was not as good. If you guys are interested, then I suggest using Blackstone every oil change.

Attached Images

Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
I just find it interesting that the ZLE Performance Supplement advises M1 15w50for track use, which is not Dexos 2.
It is not, but it is also not approved for dual street and track duty, because of its formula. I have covered why that is (potentially/likely) in my oil sticky in mechanical section.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:16 AM   #23
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
My friend at Valvoline said that they just stopped paying the license. It is the same stuff.
Dont know who your friend is, or what role he/she is plays at Valvoline, but per a formal response, they have clearly stated that a formula has changed and hence that's why they couldnt just piggy back on the old Dexos2 certification. They have also changed the name of the oil. So NOT the same stuff per Valvoline official response.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #24
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

DEXOS certification doesn't mean a certain product is better or worse. It simply means the manufacturer paid GM to test and then continue to pay a license.

Your arm-waving isn't necessary.

I'm going to continue to run it based on excellent results.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
DEXOS certification doesn't mean a certain product is better or worse. It simply means the manufacturer paid GM to test and then continue to pay a license.

Your arm-waving isn't necessary.

I'm going to continue to run it based on excellent results.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You burying your head in a sand isn't necessary.

Completely disagree with your definition of what Dexos means, or the purpose it serves. Or what other manufacturers standards mean (because virtually all of them have standards clearly written into owner manuals). What using a manufacturer's standard SIMPLY means to a consumer, is that a warranty will be honored if a motor, or cats go boom. The rest is best left to chemistry PHDs and testing engineers.

As far as your "excellent results": are these based on their NEW formula for Euro cars?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #26
TrackClub

This was Valvoline's response to member Timbo.
Note formula change is mentioned twice.
Going to their website and selecting Camaro with LT1 only brings up 5w30 weight oils as recommended by Valvoline. Here is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback; we can tell you're a discerning DIYer. Select grades from our Advanced Full Synthetic product line (0W-40, MST 5W-30, MST 5W-40, and XL-III 5W-30) have been rebranded to European Vehicle Full Synthetic. As part of this change, formulas were updated to increase the vehicles for which these products met specifications. And with formula changes, come new specification testing. Unfortunately, original equipment manufacturers no longer offer testing for Dexos2 or ACEA 3 specifications. As a result, we were unable to apply for those licenses and/or include those specs on our packaging. If you'd like to find out whether the new formulation meets the specs for your vehicle(s), please visit our product finder (https://team.valvoline.com/productfinder) or contact us at 1-800-TEAM-VAL.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #27
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
As far as your "excellent results": are these based on their NEW formula for Euro cars?
It's in the car now after 1000ish miles and a 4-day Time Trial and one HPDE. I'll be happy to post my next sample. It probably won't be until February.

If it voids my warranty and blows up my motor before that, I'll let you know.

Seriously though, if the additive package is significantly different, then it will show up on the oil sample.

Last edited by Badmojo; 12-06-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
TrackClub

Quote:
It's in the car now after 1000ish miles and a 4-day Time Trial and one HPDE. I'll be happy to post my next sample. It probably won't be until February.

If it voids my warranty and blows up my motor before that, I'll let you know.

Seriously though, if the additive package is significantly different, then it will show up on the oil sample.
Good luck reverse engineering oil formula from a used oil sample result. But, given your friend works for Valvoline why not take the easy way and simply ask them for an oil DATA SHEET?

Thanks for clarifying that "continued success" is your motor not grenading after 1000 miles ...Thank goodness GM's warranty folks use different criteria here. Sorry, could not resist

On a serious note, we can pour whatever the heck we wish down our motors and our individual decision making may differ tremendously based on our "expertise" , loyalties, assumptions, uncle Bob's advice, cousin Billy's warnings, ignorance, etc etc.
All i am saying is this:

1) Valvoline says the formula has changed and THEREFORE they can no longer put Dexos2 on it.
Personally i dont care if it has changed a wee bit or a lot.
Because:
2) No Dexos2 (for dual track/street application) no warranty. Per the manual.

I am repeating myself now so i shall be outta here. Happy motoring!