Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Four-point Cage and Six-point harness going in..

So after this year's last event at VIR, I dropped my car off with Garage Therapy in Raleigh, NC for a 4-point cage and 6-point harness. I plan on retaining my stock seats for the time being, but down the road I will be going to race seats eventually.

For those that have done these mods before, is there anything I should worry about? I have read and re-read many of the threads on here about the harness and cage set up, but they are starting to blur together.

thanks,
JD
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Stormtrooper1le

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I have a GT cage and we also met at VIR while coby was instructing you! I feel very confident in the course of action however me personally I prefer race seats with 6 pt. Having proper seats, bar, 6pt. harness is about as safe as it can get, at the speeds we are going, without going full on cages racecar. Best of luck and you are in good hands with GT!

Also if running harness good idea to invest in a Hans!

Last edited by Stormtrooper1le; 11-02-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Stormtrooper1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:54 AM   #3
JD_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post
I have a GT cage and we also met at VIR while coby was instructing you! I feel very confident in the course of action however me personally I prefer race seats with 6 pt. Having proper seats, bar, 6pt. harness is about as safe as it can get, at the speeds we are going, without going full on cages racecar. Best of luck and you are in good hands with GT!

Also if running harness good idea to invest in a Hans!
As it happens, I went into TMI Racing while we were down there and Don helped me find the right HANS to fit me. Ended up going with the Schroth SHR Flex.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Have you sat in a 6g that has their rollbar setup already? Reason I ask is, I've sat in someone else's 6g that had a rollbar installed (not from those guys though) and the seat travel had been compromised by the roll bar.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Some long threads here regarding going to a roll bar on a dual purpose car (vs a track dedicated one). You may want to look them up for extra info. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
So after this year's last event at VIR, I dropped my car off with Garage Therapy in Raleigh, NC for a 4-point cage and 6-point harness. I plan on retaining my stock seats for the time being, but down the road I will be going to race seats eventually.

For those that have done these mods before, is there anything I should worry about? I have read and re-read many of the threads on here about the harness and cage set up, but they are starting to blur together.

thanks,
JD
Hey JD,

Good idea to cage it, and if your HPDE'ing I believe 4pt is a good solution. Only thing I would suggest is that you strongly consider doing the racing seats now. 6pt harness and HANS will significantly improve your safety, but, your driving and how much fun you have driving will improve dramatically with a racing seat. Most importantly, get a halo seat. I visited with a driver that totaled his Mustang in the Kink at RA.....and he said it was the halo seat that saved his head and neck when he hit the wall sideways at 100mph+.

I installed my set up that next winter.

Have fun with the upgrades!
Attached Images

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Krawl

Drives: Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Hey JD,

Good idea to cage it, and if your HPDE'ing I believe 4pt is a good solution. Only thing I would suggest is that you strongly consider doing the racing seats now. 6pt harness and HANS will significantly improve your safety, but, your driving and how much fun you have driving will improve dramatically with a racing seat. Most importantly, get a halo seat. I visited with a driver that totaled his Mustang in the Kink at RA.....and he said it was the halo seat that saved his head and neck when he hit the wall sideways at 100mph+.

I installed my set up that next winter.

Have fun with the upgrades!
Any issues with the electronics in the seats? Andy dash lights or have any bypasses? Setup looks good!

-Krawl
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
Any issues with the electronics in the seats? Andy dash lights or have any bypasses? Setup looks good!

-Krawl
I tried like hell to defeat the airbag light and everything else, even stripped the harnesses out of my recaros and diodes, etc.......but couldn't get it done.

So, count on your airbag light being on (which you can ignore with a push of a button on the steering wheel), and your mirror adjustments on the door handle will no longer work (for some reason??)

Overall, I'm thrilled with the setup, works fantastic on track!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
I tried like hell to defeat the airbag light and everything else, even stripped the harnesses out of my recaros and diodes, etc.......but couldn't get it done.

So, count on your airbag light being on (which you can ignore with a push of a button on the steering wheel), and your mirror adjustments on the door handle will no longer work (for some reason??)

Overall, I'm thrilled with the setup, works fantastic on track!
I’m almost positive the memory seat function has something to do with the mirrors no longer working. Almost all cases I’ve seen have been a zl1 or 2ss. I’ll find out for myself here shortly with a 1ss with a race seat. Just waiting for my car back from the dealer.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:26 AM   #10
JD_

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Have you sat in a 6g that has their rollbar setup already? Reason I ask is, I've sat in someone else's 6g that had a rollbar installed (not from those guys though) and the seat travel had been compromised by the roll bar.

Tried to take a photo of the roll cage when I got home, but the lighting in the garage wasn't the greatest. Garage Therapy puts in a recessed area behind the driver seat so that you can keep full range of motion. I will try to get some better shots when the weather allows:
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #11
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
So want one for my 5th Gen!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
how about this!
Attached Images

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote