#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
Real1LE

Drives: '19 ZL1-1LE
ZL1 - 1LE Engine Mods

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to make a few upgrades to enhance performance but I have a ton of questions on certain "popular upgrades". It would be great if someone with experience in those areas can share feedback and best advice. Thanks in advance!!!

1) I have a RotoFab CAI & a Tony Mammo Throttle body (going in this weekend) - I was told by Tony no-tune is needed. Would it be smart to TUNE and loose warranty? for what possible gains?

1.a) If Engine Light comes (ON), will a TUNE fix it?

2) Which pulley is safer to upgrade the S.C pulley or the Lower Crank Pulley?
- I want no chance of overheating if possible. I was told the crank pulley at lower % override will be "safe" to do. not sure what those perimeters are

2.a) Will headers and straight pipe to the tips make things run cooler?

2.b) Will colder spark-plugs help this situation?

3) I'm also interested in E-85 (dont know much about it to be honest). I know DSX makes a sensor kit. How much (E%) can I have with the stock fueling system?

3.a) Once tuned for the E-mix, what kind of gains can I expect?

Thanks again guys
Real1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
An honest opinion is anything you add to the car can always run better with a tune and will get you the best gains. As far as the check engine light, you shouldn't get one from installing the rotofab and the throttle body. Headers and straight pipe will obviously help the car breathe better but as far as keeping it cooled down I would think not necessarily. Spark plugs I am not exactly sure but mine were swapped out when I had my headers installed. E-85 is honestly awesome, I did not know much about it when I first ordered my flex fuel sensor but for gains I know the SS's (which i drive) see gains from 25-35 whp depending on the E%. I know running E is different for the ZL1's since you guys have a different cam and supercharger I believe you have to do a blend of E85 and pump gas. If anyone else chimes in and what I said it wrong please correct me Good luck with the mods!
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Real1LE

Thanks for your feedback! much appreciated
Old 09-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I drove my ZLE for a year with the TM ported TB and a Rotofab. No tune and no issues. I considered headers and E85 but wanted to stick with a CARB legal solution until I move out of CA. I ultimately went with a Magnuson 2650 and will have more information when I get my car back on Saturday.
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Rotofab, Ported TB, headers, and E85 with a tune are great power makers. Should be in the 600+whp with that. I went with the 9.1 lower pulley instead of e85 as it is not in my area. The closer station to me in 40miles away.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
As noted above, you are in CA--RotoFab will not even ship to CA. All of the items will present issues.

Also, CA has 91 Octane Premium (not 93 or more), so you may want to factor that into the equation.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Real1LE

thanks guys. this is great stuff. i have high octane and ethanol stations somewhat close. i can always buy and store, no issues there. besides, car is primarily used for track so im not worried about legalities.

Is it too much to do E85 and a lower pulley? i know i sound like a noob, im new to this car thing and love to learn.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I’ve got a Rotofab and TM that will be for sale shortly. Local pickup in SF Bay Area or shipping on the buyer...
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1LE View Post
thanks guys. this is great stuff. i have high octane and ethanol stations somewhat close. i can always buy and store, no issues there. besides, car is primarily used for track so im not worried about legalities.

Is it too much to do E85 and a lower pulley? i know i sound like a noob, im new to this car thing and love to learn.
I believe you can run a pulley and a small percentage of E, like 40% mic with 91/93 octane. Look into porting the SC and going with a small upper like 2.3 pulley. Kong or Jokerz seem to be the best port work.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #10
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
I have to say, I have modded several cars! Some were just basic bolt-ons with a tune, without a tune, others were completely modded (engine, ECU, forced induction, suspension, brakes, aero, tires, light weight wheels and components, etc...). My current family car (wife's car) is a complete Stage 2 bolt-on, wheels, tires, and a bit of aesthetics.
This is the first car (outside of an 05 STi I had years ago) that I've felt no need to modify for power, suspension, or braking. That being said, it's also the first car that I've only modified aesthetics. I think unless you're getting a more aggressive tire setup, the mods will go straight to the tires and increase wheel-spin. I've only had it for a couple of months, but I'm still enjoying the power, chassis, suspension, and braking. I did vinyl wrap the car, added some lights, Opti-coat, and will likely tackle wheels next (I already have a new set of tires waiting in the garage).
I'm all for mods, but I'm still getting used to the car and it's large size.
Your start up list of mods look good... Enjoy!

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #11
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
I’ve got a Rotofab and TM that will be for sale shortly. Local pickup in SF Bay Area or shipping on the buyer...
thanks for the info. im in Socal but i already took care of it
Old 09-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The only "no tune" items you have are the RF CAI, ported TB and any cat-back exhaust systems. If you go with the upper or lower pulley you will need a tune, the extra boost wont do a thing unless the bypass valve is tuned to stay closed. All it will do is get you to full boost faster and then the bypass valve will open and bleed off the excess boost.

You could also have the blower and snout ported, those will free up some power but as said eventually you may need the tune cleaned up some. The ECM can do a decent job of adjusting using the MAF for part throttle driving, the WOT driving though doesnt use the MAF and goes into open loop and used fixed tables to determine fueling. Those will need to be cleaned up some.

E85 will be a great upgrade, it runs cooler and has a higher nominal octane rating of 105 octane. On the stock LT4 fuel system you can run up to around E60 on the stock fuel system with no issues.

I would say with the stock ZL1 putting down around 575rwhp that by adding the above mods you listed (RF CAI, ported TB, catback, possibly headers and E85) that you could easily see 600-625 rwhp on gas and 625-650 on a E85 mix that puts you near E60.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The only "no tune" items you have are the RF CAI, ported TB and any cat-back exhaust systems. If you go with the upper or lower pulley you will need a tune, the extra boost wont do a thing unless the bypass valve is tuned to stay closed. All it will do is get you to full boost faster and then the bypass valve will open and bleed off the excess boost.

You could also have the blower and snout ported, those will free up some power but as said eventually you may need the tune cleaned up some. The ECM can do a decent job of adjusting using the MAF for part throttle driving, the WOT driving though doesnt use the MAF and goes into open loop and used fixed tables to determine fueling. Those will need to be cleaned up some.

E85 will be a great upgrade, it runs cooler and has a higher nominal octane rating of 105 octane. On the stock LT4 fuel system you can run up to around E60 on the stock fuel system with no issues.

I would say with the stock ZL1 putting down around 575rwhp that by adding the above mods you listed (RF CAI, ported TB, catback, possibly headers and E85) that you could easily see 600-625 rwhp on gas and 625-650 on a E85 mix that puts you near E60.
Great post! My dyno sheets confirm.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ht=Simple+mods
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
Real1LE

awesome stuff guys. thanks for the feedback, i do appreciate it