Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 03-01-2021, 06:04 PM   #57
jcharm

Drives: 2021 LT1 Camaro
Just a heads up - always have an air compressor in your car. Driving on run flats with zero psi is a bad idea if you want to actually fix your tire. A reputable tire shop won’t patch a run flat that’s been driven without air pressure. It’s impossible to tell if the sidewall is compromised so they will tell you to just buy a new tire. Plugs aren’t a good solution but a patch is perfectly fine.
jcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #58
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcharm View Post
Just a heads up - always have an air compressor in your car. Driving on run flats with zero psi is a bad idea if you want to actually fix your tire. A reputable tire shop won’t patch a run flat that’s been driven without air pressure. It’s impossible to tell if the sidewall is compromised so they will tell you to just buy a new tire. Plugs aren’t a good solution but a patch is perfectly fine.
I've carried this one for years.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9WSTEG...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #59
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Whats been your experience with taking in a tire to be patched which has been "slimed"...do you get any blowback from the shop for having used that?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #60
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Whats been your experience with taking in a tire to be patched which has been "slimed"...do you get any blowback from the shop for having used that?

Tire guys HATE it, and usually charge more. Somewhere in this thread claims the new/enviro-safe slime is not nasty to remove.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #61
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
Wrap the ratchet strap around the wheel, and just crank the plug Tool in and out of the tire.
Interesting idea. But I think I would miss the feel when pushing the plug in. If the plug breaks, it is typically best to start over. If it goes in too easy, it may need a double plug or new tire.
As for wire cutters... I just use a fresh utility blade to cut the plug flush. Cutters get gummed up and often leave strands hanging. You don't want anything hanging that can pull on the plug.
I always check plugs with soapy water before the tire goes back on the car.
I think a hot patch on the inside is theoretically better. 40 years ago I worked at a gas station and plugged hundreds of tires before "hot patch" was the thing. I am very comfortable with a plug installed by me, less so with a patch done by a tire shop guy I don't know.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #62
jcharm

Drives: 2021 LT1 Camaro
I’ve owned four different cars with run flats. Experienced punctures with all and I’ve never been unable to fill it with air and make it to the tire shop or home with just air and no slime. Not saying it can’t happen but that’s my experience.
jcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #63
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
Tire guys HATE it, and usually charge more. Somewhere in this thread claims the new/enviro-safe slime is not nasty to remove.
I understand the new stuff washes right out but too that's a hell of a mess and I bet it pisses the tire guy off to no end. I asked my tire shop about and they said "please NO"...lolol
I started carrying a plug kit and compressor and tools. Had a really bad experience with Chevy roadside and the local chevy dealer over a flat tire on the 1LE. Opted in to my insurance company roadside instead. They'll take it to my location of choice at least.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote