Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #1261
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Track = VIR Full
Elapsed Time = 2:09.495
Year / Model / Trim = 2017 SS 1LE
Date = 14 March 2021
Tires = OE Goodyear SC3
Mods = Ferodo DS1.11 pads, Ferodo SF Fluid, SS FE3 rear bar

I'm not going to bother posting the video, as honestly I don't think it's worth anything educational for anyone, but myself, lol. However, maybe my time can at least serve as a "book-end" for someone going to VIR for the first time...

First time being at VIR and first track of the season. It took me a while to become comfortable with the esses at 120mph+ before I could really concentrate on cleaning up my laps in general. This was over the SCCA TT event and the best I pulled off by the end of the event was a 2:09. Not anything of a good time, but VIR is a hellova experience! I highly recommend trying out that track!

Car is #717 in S2 https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1...ssions/overall

Comment on the SS FE3 rear bar:
This is something I did after SCCA TT Nats at NCM. After the track events in 2020, and especially after the NCM event, I was finally convinced that something needed to be tweaked, at least for my preference, with the SS 1LE from the factory setup - the car just seemed a bit on the "over-eager" side of things for me, especially over high-speed technical elements. Not "terrible" and not a "have to change" thing, but something I felt could be adjusted for more confidence. Between 2019 and through 2020 I played with rear camber and with rear toe and it didn't get me to where I felt it was helping what I was feeling. Those two things did help, ultimately, in helping how the rear felt through turns in general, but it didn't help the dynamic "over-eagerness" I was feeling. So, in talking with some people about things, I decided to source an SS FE3 rear bar, which is lighter and softer than the 1LE FE4 bar, but not drastically softer. The aftermarket bars are pretty much all just-as-stiffer or stiffer than the FE4 bar and the only other option was the FEA bar, which I wasn't sure if it would be too soft - the FE4 bar didn't seem too far off to me. With that in mind, I elected to drill an extra adjustment hole in the FE3 bar's arm, to allow a point just slightly softer than the FE4 bar, but close. VIR was the first track, outside of street driving, to test the FE3 bar. Street driving impressions seemed to give the feeling that the rear was a bit more planted, but really hard to tell. At VIR, in the setting that was just softer than the FE4 bar, the car did feel a little more "settled" (the T7-T9 esses, segment T5-T6 and T10 is where I paid the most attention to what the rear felt like) than what I remember in going through somewhat similar elements (relatively fast esses, through rough curbing of mid- and high-speed turns and high-speed off-camber, dropping turns; Grattan T4, Waterford T4 & T7 esses, NCM T11-T12 segment, T16 & T21-T23), but honestly not that different. For the last few laps on Sunday, I put the FE3 bar in the factory position and the car definitely felt more settled than in the stiffer position [that was near to the FE4 stiffness). The car also seemed a bit better in putting power down at corner exit and I did not notice any real change to increased push/understeer of the car. This makes me question the logic of the FE4 bar on the SS 1LE, in that I bet it was put on because 1. it was needed for the ZL1 (and "free" part) and 2. it maybe gave a better sense of "snappiness" to the average buyer of the car and/or typical car reviewers. This is all very subjective, but I thought worthwhile to share.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #1262
Steelankles

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Update:
Track = CMP Carolina Motorsports Park
Elapsed Time = 1.40.78
Year / Model / Trim = 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Date = 12/5/20
Tires = OE GY SC3
Mods = Rotofab cai dry, st47 front brake pads, srf brake fluid

https://youtu.be/sfdaHf-aYMg
Youtube: Steelankles
https://youtube.com/c/steelankles
Steelankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #1263
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Track (which config if applicable) = NCM
Elapsed Time (please include times to the hundredth if possible) =2:18.92 (Catalyst called it out at 18.86, but the .92 is on the PDR)
Year / Model / Trim = 2019 SS 1LE
Date = 3/13/21
Tires = 305/30/19 SC3R
Mods = vorshlag plates, SPL toe arms/ST-43 pads in the front with Ti plates... some Ferodo flavor in the rear, Castrol fluid.

Pulled a second off from last year. Hoping to get this under 2:18 this year.

https://youtu.be/19DGK84Y-Wo
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:50 PM   #1264
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Track = VIR Full
Date = 14 March 2021
Tires = OE Goodyear SC3

I'm not going to bother posting the video, as honestly I don't think it's worth anything educational for anyone, but myself, lol. However, maybe my time can at least serve as a "book-end" for someone going to VIR for the first time...

First time being at VIR and first track of the season. It took me a while to become comfortable with the esses at 120mph+ before I could really concentrate on cleaning up my laps in general. This was over the SCCA TT event and the best I pulled off by the end of the event was a 2:09. Not anything of a good time, but VIR is a hellova experience! I highly recommend trying out that track!

This is something I did after SCCA TT Nats at NCM. After the track events in 2020, and especially after the NCM event, I was finally convinced that something needed to be tweaked, at least for my preference, with the SS 1LE from the factory setup - the car just seemed a bit on the "over-eager" side of things for me, especially over high-speed technical elements. Not "terrible" and not a "have to change" thing, but something I felt could be adjusted for more confidence. Between 2019 and through 2020 I played with rear camber and with rear toe and it didn't get me to where I felt it was helping what I was feeling. Those two things did help, ultimately, in helping how the rear felt through turns in general, but it didn't help the dynamic "over-eagerness" I was feeling. So, in talking with some people about things, I decided to source an SS FE3 rear bar, which is lighter and softer than the 1LE FE4 bar, but not drastically softer. The aftermarket bars are pretty much all just-as-stiffer or stiffer than the FE4 bar and the only other option was the FEA bar, which I wasn't sure if it would be too soft - the FE4 bar didn't seem too far off to me. With that in mind, I elected to drill an extra adjustment hole in the FE3 bar's arm, to allow a point just slightly softer than the FE4 bar, but close. VIR was the first track, outside of street driving, to test the FE3 bar. Street driving impressions seemed to give the feeling that the rear was a bit more planted, but really hard to tell. At VIR, in the setting that was just softer than the FE4 bar, the car did feel a little more "settled" (the T7-T9 esses, segment T5-T6 and T10 is where I paid the most attention to what the rear felt like) than what I remember in going through somewhat similar elements (relatively fast esses, through rough curbing of mid- and high-speed turns and high-speed off-camber, dropping turns; Grattan T4, Waterford T4 & T7 esses, NCM T11-T12 segment, T16 & T21-T23), but honestly not that different. For the last few laps on Sunday, I put the FE3 bar in the factory position and the car definitely felt more settled than in the stiffer position [that was near to the FE4 stiffness). The car also seemed a bit better in putting power down at corner exit and I did not notice any real change to increased push/understeer of the car. This makes me question the logic of the FE4 bar on the SS 1LE, in that I bet it was put on because 1. it was needed for the ZL1 (and "free" part) and 2. it maybe gave a better sense of "snappiness" to the average buyer of the car and/or typical car reviewers. This is all very subjective, but I thought worthwhile to share.
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting observations. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #1265
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Track = VIR Full
Date = 14 March 2021
Tires = OE Goodyear SC3
I assume you were using the FE3 coupe rear bar (84004728, Code AA7W) and not the even softer FE3 convertible rear bar (23161082, Code ADY)?
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #1266
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
I assume you were using the FE3 coupe rear bar (84004728, Code AA7W) and not the even softer FE3 convertible rear bar (23161082, Code ADY)?
Yes, the FE3 rear coupe bar. I think in the factory setting it is about as stiff as the FEA rear bar in the stiffest position. The position I added in my bar, the other adjustment point, is about 8% less stiff than the FE4 rear bar, so fairly close.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #1267
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Track (which config if applicable) = Lime Rock - No Chicane
Elapsed Time (please include times to the hundredth if possible) = 1:01.412
Year / Model / Trim = 2019 2SS 1LE
Date = March 20, 2021
Tires = Goodyear F1 Supercar 3
Mods = Track Alignment, GM CAI, Braided Brake Lines, Solid Rear Subframe Bushings

cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #1268
hooligan317

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
First time at Barber

Track (which config if applicable) = Barber Motorsports Park
Elapsed Time (please include times to the hundredth if possible) = 1:38.65
Year / Model / Trim = 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Date = 3/21/21
Tires = OEM SC3R
Mods = Rotofab intake (no-tune), AWE cat-back, AP Racing brakes w/Ferodo 3.12 pads, APR rear wing

*couldn't get the images to upload here so added the link below

https://imgur.com/a/yR1ziHf

Last edited by hooligan317; 03-23-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Probably user error ;)
hooligan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #1269
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfhsu View Post
Track (which config if applicable) = Lime Rock - No Chicane
Elapsed Time (please include times to the hundredth if possible) = 1:01.412
Year / Model / Trim = 2019 2SS 1LE
Date = March 20, 2021
Tires = Goodyear F1 Supercar 3
Mods = Track Alignment, GM CAI, Braided Brake Lines, Solid Rear Subframe Bushings

Looks like a pretty solid time. I've always wanted to do a road trip out into the east coast and hit up Lime Rock on the way through...
Old 03-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #1270
Loaded Goat

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE Black/Black
when do the times get updated
Loaded Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:35 PM   #1271
nomile

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE - Garnet Red
Track (which config if applicable) = High Plains Raceway
Elapsed Time (please include times to the hundredth if possible) = 2:06
Year / Model / Trim / Transmission = 2018, ss1le, manual
Date =2019, sept 6
Tires = Goodyear eagle f1 super car 3
Mods = Vorschlag camber plates

Last edited by nomile; 03-29-2022 at 11:05 PM.
nomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #1272
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Las Vegas Motor Speedway Outfield track

Track (which config if applicable) = Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Outfield Full Course with the bus stop
Elapsed Time (please include times to the hundredth if possible) = 1:54.424
Year / Model / Trim = 2020 ZL1
Date = March 21, 2021
Tires = Yokohama A052’s
Mods = Track Alignment, Callaway SC750pkg, G-Loc Brake Pads, Carbon Fiber Brake Lines, Apexraceparts, Full ZLE Suspension and Aero

https://youtu.be/-pvnbVkrauw

Best Regards,
Dave
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #1273
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Looks like a pretty solid time. I've always wanted to do a road trip out into the east coast and hit up Lime Rock on the way through...
It's definitely a historic track & our events there all sell out months in advance, it seems.

We're lucky to be within reasonable driving distance of tons and tons of tracks, including tracks like historic Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, VIR, etc.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #1274
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Track = VIR Full
Date = 14 March 2021
Tires = OE Goodyear SC3

I always enjoy your detailed breakdowns. So, standard FE3 bar for my future car, without any additional holes drilled?
YouTube Channel
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote