Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 02-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #15
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusCrayZ View Post
Checked out your speaker & amp upgrade, very nice and clean on the install. Do you do that regularly or done it in the past for people? Your finished product looks to be of a professional level installation...

I did have (2) questions though:
When looking at the details on the PAC RP5-GM51 page, it mentions the CAM-GM51. Is that necessary or did your back up camera work when you used the RP5-GM52 harness?
Are the Steering Wheels controls retained, both Volume and Track Up/Down?
I've always done my own setups. I sometimes help people with theirs. I don't consider myself a professional at things but I like it clean and take my time with stuff. I work as an architectural draftsman and do structural work. Grew up around houses being built. So I'm good at handyman work as well. I own a hair salon that I've remodeled by myself while in operation. I spent Friday night changing out my friends ATS rear diff from 3.27 to a camaro ss 3.73, then Saturday evening and night at the salon changing wall sconces, light fixtures, and running wires thru the ceiling and walls adding switches and replacing outlets. My car has been thru quite a bit of changes as well. Full bolt on, bigger turbo, custom intercooler, rear SS brake conversion with 15" conversion, 3.73 diff. Audio obviously, lol.. so yeah I don't try to limit my capabilities and like completing things for myself. A little more gratification I guess.

I only used RP5-GM51 with the RP5-GM52 for +'16 gm cars. No need for CAM. The harness retains back up camera and the pioneer unit allows you to access it while driving. The module also retains steering wheel functions for volume and tracking. I did run the mic behind the visor. It doesn't seem to retain the stock mic or the call/end call button on the steering wheel. I'm not even mad tho.. lol also I think there are usb adapters out there but I used the replacement usb setup. Need a rca adapter to the aux of pioneer module. Only one of the usb line I plugged into the radio, the other I bound up with the hdmi and hid it under the ac vents before crossing over to the radio. When you lift the console up, you can peel the carpet down a little and shove it in there.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #16
JusCrayZ
Camaro Fifty

Drives: 2017 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteHyper2.0 View Post
I've always done my own setups. I sometimes help people with theirs. I don't consider myself a professional at things but I like it clean and take my time with stuff. I work as an architectural draftsman and do structural work. Grew up around houses being built. So I'm good at handyman work as well. I own a hair salon that I've remodeled by myself while in operation. I spent Friday night changing out my friends ATS rear diff from 3.27 to a camaro ss 3.73, then Saturday evening and night at the salon changing wall sconces, light fixtures, and running wires thru the ceiling and walls adding switches and replacing outlets. My car has been thru quite a bit of changes as well. Full bolt on, bigger turbo, custom intercooler, rear SS brake conversion with 15" conversion, 3.73 diff. Audio obviously, lol.. so yeah I don't try to limit my capabilities and like completing things for myself. A little more gratification I guess.
It definitely shows, nicely done.

Quote:
I only used RP5-GM51 with the RP5-GM52 for +'16 gm cars. No need for CAM. The harness retains back up camera and the pioneer unit allows you to access it while driving. The module also retains steering wheel functions for volume and tracking. I did run the mic behind the visor. It doesn't seem to retain the stock mic or the call/end call button on the steering wheel. I'm not even mad tho.. lol also I think there are usb adapters out there but I used the replacement usb setup. Need a rca adapter to the aux of pioneer module. Only one of the usb line I plugged into the radio, the other I bound up with the hdmi and hid it under the ac vents before crossing over to the radio. When you lift the console up, you can peel the carpet down a little and shove it in there.
Thanks for the additional notes here. I wanted to add some additional information that might help the next person who goes this route. There is a USB adapter for retaining the OEM USB/AUX port in the center console.

Metra AX-USB-MINIB
USB to MINI B Adaptor Cable

However, the Pioneer head unit in this thread does not allow the use of a Hub to expand out to multiple USB connections. Maybe it is because it is USB Type A or something along those lines. At least based on the research and different adapters I have tried, I kept getting a HUB ERROR on the Pioneer display when plugging it in. Just a heads up on this.

I did finish the install and the unit looks and works great. I still have the OEM Non-amplified speakers in the car and with this unit, they sound significantly better. Working under the glove box with putting everything back up under there was a bit of a task and required patience.

Also, did you completely swap out the center console USB/AUX Port?
When you removed the OEM USB port, was the cabling intertwined with the other connections in the center console? I have not tore into that yet as I wanted the unit installed and up and running before swapping that connection out.
JusCrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #17
StPeteHyper2.0

Nice job. And yeah I had same issue.. didn't get the hub error, but I tried a few ways and only 1 usb would work. I tried a USB splitter also, no go. In the console.. it's wrapped up with the harness but it unplugs from the back of the usb/aux port. Two white tabs to push in and it releases.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #18
Josh24

Drives: 2016 camaro LT
Can u play videos on that radio
Using a usb ??
I have alot of music videos on my
Computer
Josh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
StPeteHyper2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh24 View Post
Can u play videos on that radio
Using a usb ??
I have alot of music videos on my
Computer
Haven't tried videos from usb but I assume it should. You'll need the parking brake bypass to be able to watch videos without the parking brake on. I have played youtube videos thru Android connection