Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #43
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Oh I understand the 335 and small twins. Single turbos will always outperform twins (especially sequential turbos) for overall massive HP at peak. This is why all the late 90's supra TT owners convert their cars to a single garret BB monster turbo.

The 335 is designed for lighting response off the line with little to no lag. With a tune alone they are incredible and will run 12's. However with those small snails they are sitting ducks on the highway

You will be amazed by the power of the Ls3 at 422. No one needs that much power, until about month 3 when well it could use a little better pickup (Intake) and month 5 when ya know it could use a little better breathing and some top end (Headers/Cat Back) then 1 year well she seems to have lost some punch (SC) lololol
I agree with you on all fronts. The only point I want to make is that lag is a thing of the past so long as the tuner installing a turbo chooses the right turbo for that particular application. If you get a turbo that is too big, you simply won't get all of the benefits. This probably won't be as much of a problem for Camaro driver because most of us are more mature than the guys on some 4-banger forums. Those guys usually think that bigger is better in terms of forced induction, exhaust piping, spoilers, and rims.

Obviously, the above is a general statement that is not intended to offend anyone but instead corrects the misconception that bigger is always better.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #44
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Again this may be a decent option for the V6 but I just don't get the logic on why people would even consider this route?

It will cost you more to put on a turbo or blower on the V6 and lose your warrenty then it would to just buy the SS with a full coverage. On top of which the SS will still be putting more power to the wheels stock then the V6 with FI.

Stock LS3 vettes have put down as much as 400 whp. Most are in the 390-400 range. So lets just say that the camaro will but down about 385 stock. The V6 will put down at best 270 probably more like 260. There isn't much of a chance for that V6 with FI to safely get to 385 whp and if it does it would be at its limit.

that would be a 125 HP increase or 48% which i dont see happening.
You have a very good point and I agree. I just started this thread because the thought ran through my mind because maybe ill start with an V6 because of the price and mpg, then maybe wayyy into the future i wanted to add more power. But im almost 100% sure im getting an SS.
By the way i found a link that has a long list of details about the V6. But im sure im not the first to find something like this.
http://drupal.caddyinfo.com/?q=node/44

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #45
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Hey whatever floats peoples boat. Make sure you are making the right choice for you! If you ever think there will be a doubt in your mind that you didn't save for 6 months more for the SS then don't put yourself through that, save and get the SS.

If you will question why you got the auto, don't get an MT. I have been down that road and it is really hard living with a car that is everything you want but you decided to get the auto. Don't let yourself have regrets! The V6 will NEVER have the potential of the V8 no matter which way you slice it. Make the choice that is the right one for your needs/desires
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #46
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
how many hp could you gain without putting a turbo or super in your car
could someone make a list and list how many hp it adds thanks

im a noob car guy :(

thanks guys
Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
how many hp could you gain without putting a turbo or super in your car
could someone make a list and list how many hp it adds thanks

im a noob car guy :(

thanks guys
It depends on how extreme you want to go. You could probably get the 3.6 over 400 NA hp if you tried. I imagine that you could build the LS3 to over 600 hp NA. But doing that will be rather expensive and you would have to replace a lot of parts.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #48
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
I dunno man, at 3.6 liters, 304 hp NA is pretty dang good. Seems it's already been 'tuned' from the factory to scream at near its best. I'd be surprised if you could get 340 out of it with bolt ons (headers, exhaust, intake, computer tune). I mean, the little guy's already got DI and over 11:1 CR! He's already overworked! (but doing a fine job of it! ) Another thing that I like to conveniently overlook is the 3.6's torque rating of 270 foot pounds. It's good, yes. But I'd like to see mods that bumped IT up into the 300s too. As cool as it is to say to a mustang GT owner "I have more hp than you," he can retort quite handily "Ah, but I have a substantial excess in torque. And I weigh less. "
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
I dunno man, at 3.6 liters, 304 hp NA is pretty dang good. Seems it's already been 'tuned' from the factory to scream at near its best. I'd be surprised if you could get 340 out of it with bolt ons (headers, exhaust, intake, computer tune). I mean, the little guy's already got DI and over 11:1 CR! He's already overworked! (but doing a fine job of it! ) Another thing that I like to conveniently overlook is the 3.6's torque rating of 270 foot pounds. It's good, yes. But I'd like to see mods that bumped IT up into the 300s too. As cool as it is to say to a mustang GT owner "I have more hp than you," he can retort quite handily "Ah, but I have a substantial excess in torque. And I weigh less. "
I doubt a couple of bolt on's could give it much more than 340 as well. But I was referring to a full on build up to get the maximum amount of power out of those things, naturally aspirated. Stock it does pretty good for its size, ~83 hp/L. My argument was based on if full on race engines can make over 140 hp/L then toping 110 hp/L should be build-able on a direct injected modern engine like the 3.6 IF you've got the cash, are willing to replace a lot of parts, and do a lot of maintenance. Its still the same engine so long as you keep the same block . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #50
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah, I know if I get the V6, I'd probably only do bolt-ons and a tune if available, (cat-back, headers, CAI, tune) and would be happy if that got me around 340hp.

But later on I'd consider a supercharger, depending on the work involved will be. I'm not going to be up for swapping out all the internals...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #51
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I doubt a couple of bolt on's could give it much more than 340 as well. But I was referring to a full on build up to get the maximum amount of power out of those things, naturally aspirated. Stock it does pretty good for its size, ~83 hp/L. My argument was based on if full on race engines can make over 140 hp/L then toping 110 hp/L should be build-able on a direct injected modern engine like the 3.6 IF you've got the cash, are willing to replace a lot of parts, and do a lot of maintenance. Its still the same engine so long as you keep the same block . . .
Agreed. I'm not sure if that will be a common occurrence, a radically-built 3.6 putting out over 400hp NA, but yes, anything's possible if you've got the cash.

I'm also a fiero forums member and this engine is a hot topic for swaps. There was a post on there a few months back that had an article about the new global GM v6, and all its iterations. Seems they make or are planning to make a low-compression, DI turbo 2.8 L version with the VVT and QOHC. Don't remember horsepower numbers, but this could be an interesting powerplant for a future camaro, probably get fantastic mileage if you kept your foot out of it too...
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote