Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Question Is this the sound of a stuck lifter? - *** UPDATE 4/8/15****

***** update 4/8/2015*****
Car is back and operational! - see post #31 for a list of what was done. Thanks for everyone's insight and feedback.
----------
It sounded fine when I cranked it up and then when I arrived at work, it was making this noise. So, it came on abruptly, I have never heard it before. I have been researching it and looking at threads on the forum and I think this is what it is. I have already removed all the belts and it still sounds the same, so it is not any external pulley bearing from the a/c or power sterring, etc. I have about 40K miles on the cam motion cam using stock lifters with Brian Tooley Titanium double springs and hardened pushrods. 80K miles on the car.

Does this sound like a stuck lifter to you? If so, what does "stuck" mean anyways - stuck in the up position, down position and is it digging into the cam? Thanks for any insight...
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com

Last edited by SeaCompiler; 04-08-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: last update to report success
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
whatever it is...it doesn't sound good.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
gofastwclass
Three pedals

Drives: lots of fuel injected V8 Chevys
Stuck lifters typically make a tapping sound that varies with engine speed. I couldn't tell about the squeak with your video, but does it vary with engine speed?

Pull the filter and cut it open with a filter cutter. Look for metal in the filter pleats.

To me it sounds like an idler pulley has a bad bearing, but you said it sounded the same with the belts off so I don't know.

How long has the under drive pulley been on the car? Can you pull it off next time the belts are off? Maybe there is an odd problem with the idler and clearance or it's walking on the crank snout (rare for a non SC car). It's a long shot, but you never know.
gofastwclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
That definitely sounds like a pulley. I would try using a listening tube (pvc pipe or similar) and hold it to your ear to listen around the pulleys and valve cover to pinpoint the sound.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Sounds like my S/C charger pulley when it went bed.... I agree with the guys above...
Old 02-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
SeaCompiler

I pulled all the belts off the car and it still makes that noise. It does vary with engine speed. I appreciate the insight. THe under drive has been on for about 1 year. It is a PowerBond.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
If it is a auto ,check the flex plate bolts .And check to see if the flex plate is cracked. Check the clutch if its a stick .
Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
SeaCompiler

OK everyone. It was a stuck lifter. I tore the engine down. I have new LS9 head gaskets, LS7 lifters, new CM cam (same specs), new trunnions, BT racing springs, new lifter trays, arp head bolts. Still have a lot of other upgraded hw like pump, timing chain, TF pushrods, ud pulley, arp bolts, etc.....

I will be working on it over the next week to slowly get it together. No rush, I have a spare car to drive. I have read a lot of helpful comments and read a TON about this whole process. Its not really too intimidating now that I had a chance to get intimate with the car. I read to make sure the bolt holes are free of water, debris, etc which I found to be very illuminating. Are there any other minor little nuggets like this to know about before re-assembling... like loctite on cam bolts, anything to do with adding back the anti-freeze, what you do before you turn the ignition for the first time, etc?

Not looking for torque spec advice, or how to check ptv clearance, best assembly lube, or any stuff like that, just good little nuggets that shore it up well with best practice.

BTW, the car went 40K miles on the cam with no issues other than the lifter. I took the cam out and it looked wonderful except for the lifter lobe that went out. if it was not for the lifter giving out on me, the cam was still in great condition. I use Rotella T6 synthetic and a quart of lucas ZDDP additive with every oil change.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
got pics of the cam. I thought it sounded like a loose rocker.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
got pics of the cam. I thought it sounded like a loose rocker.
I didn't take any pics. I sent it to cam motion for inspection, but wound up going with a new one to go with all the new parts - it only made sense. It wasn't a loose rocker, they were all spot on. One of the lifters was bad. The springs all looked good too.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
what lifter were you running when it went bad?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
SeaCompiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
what lifter were you running when it went bad?
Stock lifter with 82k miles on it.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I have a problem similar to this. My video h(in my posted thread) has a tapping...but I have brand new Morel 5315 lifters....

How likely is it that a brand new lifter, with roughly 800 miles on it has gotten "stuck"?

Andd....(rookie question here)...How is it possible through the pressure from the springs, rocker arms and down through the pushrods for a lifter to get "stuck"?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
I have a problem similar to this. My video h(in my posted thread) has a tapping...but I have brand new Morel 5315 lifters....

How likely is it that a brand new lifter, with roughly 800 miles on it has gotten "stuck"?

Andd....(rookie question here)...How is it possible through the pressure from the springs, rocker arms and down through the pushrods for a lifter to get "stuck"?
I think you're thinking the lifter is stuck as in "stuck in the lifter bore". I think what OP is meaning is that the lifter was collapsed or the lifter cup was pushed down and wasn't pumping back up.
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote