Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Gen5DYI ABL Dash kit install?

Has anybody installed this kit? I bought it but there are no installation directions with it and I didn't see any on the Gen5 website????
Any clues?

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Trah

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40804

read through the entire thread to see different install methods...
Trah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trah View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40804

read through the entire thread to see different install methods...
Thanks Trah! Don't know why that post didn't come up when I did a search???
I am doing the HUD and while I'm at it figured I'd put these in! I appreciate the help!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Trah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
Thanks Trah! Don't know why that post didn't come up when I did a search???
I am doing the HUD and while I'm at it figured I'd put these in! I appreciate the help!
No worries. It took me a long time to find it as well. I'm looking to tackle this with the no drill method today
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Post your experiences - I'm doing mine next week!
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
ZX1truth

Yep ...tackling the entire install since I am off Christmas week. The day after Christmas the dash comes out.
When I do the ABL I will probably do the drill method since you won't see it when the trim is reinstalled. Hell......I'm cutting a hole in my dash for the HUD....so whats the difference right?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I bought the kit too and installed it but I didn't like the way it looked. It was very bright on the ends but noticeably dim in the middle. I tried everything to get the light even all the way across but I could never get it to look even, always bright on the ends and dim in the middle.

I ended up buying blue/green EL wire and wrapped the EL wire around the clear plastic rod that came with the kit. It turned out perfect and I am very happy with it.

I know some people didn't seem to have a problem getting the light output equal but I tried everything I could think of to do it with no luck. You are going to have to sand the back top of the dash trip since it's painted. It took me a while to do the sanding because I wet sanded w/ 400 grit and went up to 1000 grit and then rubbing compound. The rod came out perfectly clear and smooth so I know for sure that wasn't the problem with getting the light even.

Here are a couple of pics of mine when I got it done.

Russ
Attached Images

OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
ZX1truth

That turned out very nice. The 10' blue EL wire is only a BUCK on Amazon!!!! Good to know there is another option! BUT I'll try the kit first.

Also Russ....you sanded the "dash trip"????? Is that supposed to be dash trim?

Has anyone else had the same light variation issues as OHIOSS/ Russ?

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wire-...ef=pd_sim_hg_8

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Random ? Op but how did you get the SS on your heritage grille?
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
Random ? Op but how did you get the SS on your heritage grille?
Follow the link....

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...ge-emblems.htm

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Trah

didn't get around to doing the actual install today, but i was able to crack the plastic housings off the LEDs and tape the exposed wires up with electrical tape. Didn't even need a little screwdriver, just pried it with my thumbnail while gently pushing the other piece out with the wire.

going to take the dash trims off at work tomorrow and look around, should be fun. If anything i should be able to hook up the splitter and get my shifter trim back together.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trah View Post
didn't get around to doing the actual install today, but i was able to crack the plastic housings off the LEDs and tape the exposed wires up with electrical tape. Didn't even need a little screwdriver, just pried it with my thumbnail while gently pushing the other piece out with the wire.

going to take the dash trims off at work tomorrow and look around, should be fun. If anything i should be able to hook up the splitter and get my shifter trim back together.
PICS?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Trah

pics of me taking the plastic thingies off? didn't take any and they're all taped up :(