Max Speed - 121.9mph
Peak Lat Accel - 1.32g

Mitsu Evo X
Best Lap - 1:47.713
Max Speed - 119.9mph
Peak Lat Accel - 1.56g

-

'Ring times:

Evo IX is 8:11 (no official for the X, rumor mill says the IX is faster)
Cobalt SS is 8:22

The Cobalt and Lancer are the same class. It's pretty clear that GM has the know-how to compete with the EVO because a FWD can hold it's own on real tracks. The question is whether a car with such limited appeal would be worth the expense of engineering a robust enough 4wd system. Despite all the hype, EVO's don't sell that high of a volume of cars. Likely wouldn't work for Chevy because they already have chosen their halo car.

Now I could see them pulling a Heinreichy (sp?) treatment on a Solstice and coming up with something really special.

(Yes this is bench racing, and yes EVO's have more potential then Cobalts due to being AWD vs FWD-)
WOW, I've never compared Cobalt times to Evo times but that was really eye-opening. If the SS had more power I think it would've went by the Evo 'round the 'Ring. WOW!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
WOW, I've never compared Cobalt times to Evo times but that was really eye-opening. If the SS had more power I think it would've went by the Evo 'round the 'Ring. WOW!
It's not power limited, it's traction limited :(. It's almost 600lbs lighter than an EVO X.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Drives: Your Local Bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
and yes EVO's have more potential then Cobalts due to being AWD vs FWD-)

That is why people buy the Evo. Stock it's decent but 300hp for $36k doesn't cut it anymore. People buy Evo for it's potential.

The 4B11 motor that comes stock in the VIII's and IX's is good for 1000hp and still being tapped for more. Sure the Cobalt has respectable numbers, but I don't see it competing with the Evo in it's tuning potential.

....plus, let's be real....there's no "cool" factor with the Cobalt. I sure wouldn't fear one, nor imagine anyone trying to street race in one.

I vote GM redesign the Cobalt to make it more appealing, more aggressive. Yea, this is waaaay off topic now, lol.

Quote:
Despite all the hype, EVO's don't sell that high of a volume of cars.
The Evo has always been a niche car. With the redesign of the Evo X, Mitsu hopes to appeal to a broader audience. Sales so far have been better than previous Evo entries.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
That car needs some side valences and a nice low bumper cover on the back and it would look great.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #19
MrIcky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS View Post

....plus, let's be real....there's no "cool" factor with the Cobalt. I sure wouldn't fear one, nor imagine anyone trying to street race in one.
LOL, ya I wouldn't race one if I were you either, because you'd be sad that you overspent . The AWD is nice, and you'll always have an advantage laying power down- but it's still a Lancer body with a big wing and a lot of ducts. Lancers are no sexier then Cobalt Coupes. I believe you said something about being fast and competing with cars twice the price?

Per R&T:
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR 1/4 Mile 13.6 @ 100.9
2009 Cobalt SS 1/4 Mile 13.9 @ 104.0

People have been getting 1000 hp out of the ecotecs, but that wouldn't work well on a FWD car. I thought the EVO X motor didn't tune nearly as well as the older EVO motors. I wouldn't street race in either car, because that's pretty assinine. But it's fun to see a 40% cheaper car tag your bumper all day in any kind of track race, isn't it. In 2 months, Chevy is putting out a factory tune to bring the Cobalt over 300 hp/tq and retain warranty for less than $1000. So at that point I'd be 22500 into it and a stock EVO X would be somewhere behind me.

But ya, you have more potential

I'm just playing with you, I appreciate that you enjoy your car. You just came out swinging on my beloved bud.

-----
Sorry for derailing the thread
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Besides engines, AWD just opens up sooo much more potential with racing. Don't get me wrong, the current cobalt ss is a amazing car. I've been wanting to buy one for a while but I'm holding out for the Camaro. I just wish that GM would make a AWD sports car with a capable platform. With that, GM can get into a whole new market I think. The only smaller AWD car that I can think of that GM makes is the Pontiac Vibe. So there ya go.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Looks nice!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #22
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
That is why people buy the Evo. Stock it's decent but 300hp for $36k doesn't cut it anymore. People buy Evo for it's potential.

The 4B11 motor that comes stock in the VIII's and IX's is good for 1000hp and still being tapped for more. Sure the Cobalt has respectable numbers, but I don't see it competing with the Evo in it's tuning potential.

I vote GM redesign the Cobalt to make it more appealing, more aggressive. Yea, this is waaaay off topic now, lol.

The Evo has always been a niche car. With the redesign of the Evo X, Mitsu hopes to appeal to a broader audience. Sales so far have been better than previous Evo entries.

I agree, the Cobalt SS isnt the coolest car, but lets be real, If the Evo wasnt a riced out crapbox more people would buy them.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
I agree, the Cobalt SS isnt the coolest car, but lets be real, If the Evo wasnt a riced out crapbox more people would buy them.
would call this a tuner

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #24
MrIcky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
would call this a tuner
I agree with this. There is some good real tech on an EVO. It ain't just a wing. I think I like the older ones better though, they keep getting heavier and more intricate. Which is really against their nature since they started with a rally tradition. I only lashed out because he tried to put baby in a corner, and no one puts baby in a corner (sorry 2010 SS).

GM's in a tough position though.

People want the Cadillacs and G8s to be more BMW like.
They want to push the less expensive sporty cars toward Mitsus.

GM all the while wants to be a new GM and have it's own identity. The Corvette is what it is, but you really make your brand identity in the 25-35 range. It will be a great day when they start calling cars like the OP's 'the poor man's CTS'. When that happens GM has succeeded in its comeback.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
GM last year did a WRC concept. Can’t remember what it was called. Reminds a little bit of the Beat concept. I’d like GM or Ford to come up with a less expensive and better looking competitor to the Evo and STI. Ford has one in the Euro Focus RS (would need to be AWD) GM doesn’t currently offer anything like that.

What I’d really like is a LS3, AWD, 4-door that weighs in at 3,600 or less lbs. Yes I know the eco-tech 4 is the realistic choice for this segment but still if you have it in the parts bin…
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Exclamation

Quote:
LOL, ya I wouldn't race one if I were you either, because you'd be sad that you overspent
Hardly. That's like telling a Ferarri owner he "overspent" because your modified lunchbox goes faster. I'd rather be seen in an Evo then a Cobalt.

Quote:
but it's still a Lancer body with a big wing and a lot of ducts.
.....And a more sophisticated suspension, drivetrain, tranny, motor, etc. etc.

Quote:
Lancers are no sexier then Cobalt Coupes..
Matter of opinion.

Quote:
I believe you said something about being fast and competing with cars twice the price?

Per R&T:
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR 1/4 Mile 13.6 @ 100.9
2009 Cobalt SS 1/4 Mile 13.9 @ 104.0
Bench race much? The Cobalt is $24k, the GSR can be had for $28k. Hardly "twice the price".

Quote:
But it's fun to see a 40% cheaper car tag your bumper all day in any kind of track race, isn't it. I'd be 22500 into it and a stock EVO X would be somewhere behind me.
I must be terrible at math, I didn't know the difference between $24k and $28k (or even MSRP for a GSR of $33k) was 40%.

Also, what happens on paper/theory vs what really happens on a track are two different stories. I'll shut up when I see a Cobalt vs Evo X on a track.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Hardly. That's like telling a Ferarri owner he "overspent" because your modified lunchbox goes faster. I'd rather be seen in an Evo then a Cobalt.

.....And a more sophisticated suspension, drivetrain, tranny, motor, etc. etc.

Matter of opinion.

Bench race much? The Cobalt is $24k, the GSR can be had for $28k. Hardly "twice the price".

I must be terrible at math, I didn't know the difference between $24k and $28k (or even MSRP for a GSR of $33k) was 40%.

Also, what happens on paper/theory vs what really happens on a track are two different stories. I'll shut up when I see a Cobalt vs Evo X on a track.

opinion.

id rather be seen in a tolerance club meeting than an Evo.

btw. What are you talking about with 28k?

MRSP from the mitsu website.

Stock Base 33k,

Upgraded 39k.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Quote:
id rather be seen in a tolerance club meeting than an Evo.
Your opinion.

Quote:
What are you talking about with 28k? MRSP from the mitsu website. Stock Base 33k.
South Coast Mitsubishi (the nations largest Evo dealer) sells Evo X GSR's for $3-$4k under MSRP.