Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Otherwise, it's slamming (while still under warranty) second and third for me.
This made me audibly chuckle.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
09z28

Drives: 06 Mazda 3, 79 & 99 Camaros
The real advantage to a manual over an automatic, like a couple others have said, is control. If you're cruising on the interstate and come up behind someone that you want to pass, if you're driving an automatic and you stomp the gas, you have a huge delay, first a delay before it shifts down one gear, and then another delay as it tries to shift down to a even lower gear. In a manual, you just shift straight from 5th (or 6th) down to 3rd and you're instantly in the sweet spot of the torque curve. Or, rev the engine up to it's peak torque rpm, drop the clutch, and you experience much quicker acceleration than any automatic can deliver.

You'll (almost) never find an automatic equipped car that is quicker than a manual, if the driver is any good.

As for paddle shifters, the only ones that will be quicker than most people shifting will be those from Ferrari or BMW (SMG). All other "sport" shifters are basically automatics that you give you an option of forcing gear changes, but you still have a significant (still tenths of a second, but they feel like eternity while driving) delay as the automatic changes gears, and you can't skip gears, either, so that makes it that much slower, too. I had a car with "Sportronic" shifting, and it's fun if you aren't used to a manual, but it won't deliver as many smiles as a manual will.

Ferrari and BMW make manual transmission cars that shift like automatics, they don't have a conventional clutch, instead have multiple clutches without a clutch pedal, and the paddles electrically actuate hydraulics to shift gears. The computer shifts the gear almost as quick as your brain tells your finger to tell it to shift, like .15 seconds, where the fastest humans can shift in about half a second, huge advantage in drag racing.

Check out this website: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

Thanks! Mash40 for the pic for my avatar!
09z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've heard that the New Vette shifters are fast responding, but I haven't driven one yet...so...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #32
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09z28 View Post
Ferrari and BMW make manual transmission cars that shift like automatics, they don't have a conventional clutch, instead have multiple clutches without a clutch pedal, and the paddles electrically actuate hydraulics to shift gears. The computer shifts the gear almost as quick as your brain tells your finger to tell it to shift, like .15 seconds, where the fastest humans can shift in about half a second, huge advantage in drag racing.
You still can't feather (partially apply on deceleration or acceleration) an automatic no matter what kind of shifters it has. There is just some things you have to have a clutch to accomplish.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #33
RiceRocket
Resident Ricer

Drives: 93 Supra TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09z28 View Post
You'll (almost) never find an automatic equipped car that is quicker than a manual, if the driver is any good.
you've obviously never driven a boosted AT before.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #34
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
As a driver who learned on auto's and then made the earnest effort to switch to stick (despite everyone saying what a pain it was in traffic) go with the manual. Automatics disengage you from the driving experience, making you more of a passenger than a director. With a stick you are controlling nearly every facet of the driving experience directly as opposed to letting a machine do it for you.

In short if you're just gonna be cruising then an auto is good. If you want to be the conductor of your own V8 symphony, then go with the stick.

EDIT: Didn't really answer the question. Yes, stock manuals tend to be slightly faster than stock autos, but you won't really notice the difference unless you're at the track, pulling away from a stoplight, or passing some slow driver in a Prius. (I hate Prius-es.)

I can't really speak for paddleshifters, having never driven one myself.

Last edited by TheMadHatter99; 03-03-2008 at 12:59 PM.
TheMadHatter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #35
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceRocket View Post
you've obviously never driven a boosted AT before.
This.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
Automatics disengage you from the driving experience, making you more of a passenger than a director. With a stick you are controlling nearly every facet of the driving experience directly as opposed to letting a machine do it for you..

EXACTLY.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #37
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I agree with the fact that automatics disengage you from the driving experience....as I drive manuals.

However, it is very hard to beat an automatic tranny that is complemented by a high stall torque converter, and more aggressively placed shift points.

But from a factory stock standpoint....manuals are usually better if you can drive.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #38
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
along the lines of parasitic loss, A manual transmission loses far less power between the engine and the wheels. automatics lose (I think) around 20% of the power between the engine and the tires. Manuals only lose like 10-12% I'm pretty sure that those numbers are fairly correct, but don't quote me on that.

Also, if you're looking to speed up your shifting in a Manual, buy a short throw shift kit, and that will help with the times.

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #39
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
For me it's gotta be manual. I just feel...out of control with an automatic. I like being able to shift perfectly and when I want to. Can't get that with an automatic.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #40
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
For me it's gotta be manual. I just feel...out of control with an automatic. I like being able to shift perfectly and when I want to. Can't get that with an automatic.
Automatics shift perfectly EVERY time I thought...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #41
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Automatics shift perfectly EVERY time I thought...
I think he's referring to when not so much as how. Obviously an Auto doesn't miss a shift unless the tranny is going bad. I'm guessing he's talking about shifting gears when he wants Letting the RPMs get right were he wants em then grabbing the next gear.

I will say the on the strip an auto that is set up for the 1/4 mile will have better eta's then 99% of the manuals. But that means that car is not much good for anything else. Now a manual is much more versatile and with practice can get down track with the best of them, as well as rip up a road course or just be a ton of fun daily driver. For me a manual tranny every time.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #42
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

oh I know what he was talking about. I was just being funny, hence the funny wave smiley.