Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #15
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
Or... (wait for it...)... you could move south!

I did - best. decision. ever.
I like his idea. I’m trying to get out of here.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I have the BFG A/S and they are LOUSY in the snow. If you are going to drive in the snow get some REAL snow tires. I have 18" Michelin X-Ixce 3 and used them on my G8. They were very good.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I have the BFG A/S and they are LOUSY in the snow. If you are going to drive in the snow get some REAL snow tires. I have 18" Michelin X-Ixce 3 and used them on my G8. They were very good.
I mostly agree with that, I didn't have a great experience with snow on the Comp2 A/S but I didn't expect too, either. Wasn't much of a factor in the end for me, I stayed home from work that day or waited the half day for the streets to be cleared and then the last few years in Kansas City we've barely gotten more than 2" at any one time.

I had the Xi3 on a separate wheel that I could bolt on, when needed, but the days I needed those was like 3-5 in the entire winter season and they were a total bore to drive on every other day.

Last edited by VinnAY; 10-16-2018 at 01:09 PM.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #18
stephane4985

Drives: Dodge Grand Caravan
Anyone tried the Khumo wintercraft wp71 or wp72? Any feedback?
stephane4985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #19
16CamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS (2SS)
Continental DWSs
16CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #20
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane4985 View Post
Anyone tried the Khumo wintercraft wp71 or wp72? Any feedback?
I just picked up a car that came with 2 of the WP71s. I have no experience to report (yet), but I will say tires with bigger voids dig into the snow better. There's a C&D article from '09 where a Michelin engineer suggested the tread pattern matters impacts 2/3rds of snow performance, while the compound impacts 2/3rds of ice performance. These look like they might dig in snow fairly well and effectively channel away water too.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #21
stephane4985

Drives: Dodge Grand Caravan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
I just picked up a car that came with 2 of the WP71s. I have no experience to report (yet), but I will say tires with bigger voids dig into the snow better. There's a C&D article from '09 where a Michelin engineer suggested the tread pattern matters impacts 2/3rds of snow performance, while the compound impacts 2/3rds of ice performance. These look like they might dig in snow fairly well and effectively channel away water too.

My first impeession was that they look like to be good tires. They get good reviews. But the fact that in 20 inch they are less than half the prices of the others makes me cautious about their quality.
stephane4985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #22
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
I believe the price of the WP71s isn't as significantly cheaper in other sizes.

Another thing to consider - Recent hard core winter snow/ice tires have really closed the gap to regular tires in the dry. There was once a huge difference, it's now smaller. eg. Unscientific comparison done at different times - Tire rack measured .87g in cool dry conditions with the Blizzak WS-80 vs. .86g for the Goodyear Asymmetric 3s non-run flat (most of test show this class of tire in the low-mid .9x gs) vs. .90gs on Pirelli Winter Sottozero, all on a BMW F30. I believe the largest differences advantage to performance winters is their wet performance and wear. How much is a bit difficult to quantify, but again tire rack's tests suggest a fair difference in wet performance in favor of the performance winters.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #23
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
I run OE 18" Camaro LT wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. Traction is never an issue.
I run OE 20” Camaro SS wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. Traction is never an issue. This is what Chevy engineers do on the test cars

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #24
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
I run OE 18" Camaro LT wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. Traction is never an issue.
What year OE 18" wheels do you run on your 1LE? I'm trying to find out if the 5th gen ones will fit.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #25
LanceMagnum

Drives: C5 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I run OE 20” Camaro SS wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. Traction is never an issue. This is what Chevy engineers do on the test cars
Same here, got wider aftermarket w/summer tires and use the OEM wheels with Sottozero's. Great for winter driving, though depending on your preferred trade-off's a performance all-season could be fine. Sottozero's are great in the snow, ice, etc. but if you stick to plowed roads after the storm passes they might be overkill. By late winter/early spring I can't wait to get my soft snow's off but my summer tires are treacherous below 40. Once it's time for new snow's I'll probably go the high-performance all season route.
LanceMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #26
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Just got a set of DWS06 all seasons (have had them before on two other perf cars), smoother ride over the bumps and much quieter. Softer sidewalls of course but great in the snow for all seasons. One other thing I noticed when using my MRC, with the run-flats the tour-sport-track settings were either fairly firm - real firm - or extremely firm, now you can tell more of a difference between the settings and tour is perfect for the rough roads.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #27
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
I'd recommend getting a separate set of wheels and tires over just using all seasons. Winter tires will work a lot better in snow. I have seperate 18" wheels with Blizzaks on them. Tirerack has a lot of good winter packages.
This...I use Michelin X-ice 3 which are the top rated winter tires and also carry a 30K warranty (which is very rare). They're amazing, I never got stuck in a heavy snow season back when I lived in another city.

If you live in Chicago you probably need something good with that lake-effect snow.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
All seasons will do ok in the snow... It's the cold and ice where winter tires really shine compared to other tires.

A separate set of wheels is definitely the best way to go, though... Even if you're switching between all seasons and summer only tires, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote