Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Drives: Camaro
So this is Why Mary Berra is Pushing Electric...

https://roboticsandautomationnews.co...ng-cars/10554/
Mighty Mouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mouce View Post
You DID notice the January 2017 date on that article ??
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Keep in mind, that while the article speaks about the development of completely autonomous vehicles, vehicle automation also includes things like forward collision avoidance, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, park assist, roll mitigation, which of course are technologies, when all put together, create an autonomous vehicle.

That said, autonomous vehicles have little to do with the development of electric vehicles.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Barra
Old 09-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Maybe her Board meetings at Disney have her jaded!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
I did a little research on her and found she started at GM as an engineer in quality control in 1979. She’s a GM lifer with her roots to the company during the Malaise era and stuff like the Olds 350 Diesel and Cadillac HT4100 being projects I’m sure were part of her first few years.

I would have thought after the bankruptcy they’d have tried to flush out all the old blood from a time when quality control was neither.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Electric cars are the payback for the government loans to GM and the fat government paycheck she's now getting every week for doing their bidding.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I did a little research on her and found she started at GM as an engineer in quality control in 1979. She’s a GM lifer with her roots to the company during the Malaise era and stuff like the Olds 350 Diesel and Cadillac HT4100 being projects I’m sure were part of her first few years.

I would have thought after the bankruptcy they’d have tried to flush out all the old blood from a time when quality control was neither.
She was put in by Obama as part of the Bail out. Obama wanted a woman in there. Part of the agreement was to have Wagner step down as CEO even though GM was making great progress over the final few years until the financial collapse let all the air out of the balloon.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #9
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
well you have two things wrong there. Under Wagoner they lost 85 Billion .
Barra didn't become CEO until 5 years after the bailout.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:17 AM   #10
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
She was put in by Obama as part of the Bail out. Obama wanted a woman in there. Part of the agreement was to have Wagner step down as CEO even though GM was making great progress over the final few years until the financial collapse let all the air out of the balloon.
GM went through three CEOs between Wagoner and Barra - Henderson, Whitaker, and Dan Akerson. Frankly I thought Akerson was solid but he retired due to his wife’s health or else he’d still be there.

GM was hemorrhaging cash before the financial crisis. Legacy costs and they were losing bocou bucks on Saab, Hummer, and Saturn.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:03 AM   #11
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
She isn't wrong to push GM making electric cars and self-driving, Tesla has proved most of people wanting electric cars and self-driving.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
Mighty Mouce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Firebird View Post
She isn't wrong to push GM making electric cars and self-driving, Tesla has proved most of people wanting electric cars and self-driving.
Tesla not making money selling electric cars.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...-electric-cars
Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 AM   #13
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
Quote:
Tesla not making money selling electric cars.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...-electric-cars
Good question, if they don't earn the money from EVs, why VAG is going to serious effort in electric power ?
Old 09-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Electric cars are the payback for the government loans to GM and the fat government paycheck she's now getting every week for doing their bidding.
Quote:
LOL, not sure where you conspiracy theorists even find this stuff.

As pointed out there were several people in that seat before she took over.

GM took it on the chin when gas prices went up. They lost about 10 billion in cash flow from the loss of FST and FSSUV sales and could no longer pay the HUGE legacy costs of pension and health care. And as this simultaneously happened during the financial crisis, there was no money to be borrowed like Ford did only 2 years prior.

What I can tell you is GM did a far more aggressive Full Size Pickup because of the government and you can thank the Uncle Sam for the C7 Corvette, which was a simply re skin before the government challenged them to work on projects THAT MADE MONEY. There was no push for EVs and the Volt (the only project even on board at that time) was on it's way prior to Government involvement.