Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #71
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
You get A LOT more with the 6th gen 2SS than you did with the 5th gen 2SS. A LOT. You're paying for a better and faster car. The interior is a lot better. I'm not just talking out my ass. The consensus is the interior has been greatly improved. Materials are simply better. I had my 5th gen for nearly 5 years. That alone is worth the difference to me in a price comparison between a 5th gen 2SS and a 6th gen 2SS. What I like that isn't available on the 5th gen 2SS.
  • Better HUD (color HUD, at least better than the 2010-2011 model)
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Air Cooled Seats
  • Better Lighting Accents
  • Better MyLink (capacitive touch)
  • Better Gauge Cluster
  • Better Leather seats and trim
  • Steering wheel is way better (especially from 2010-2011)
  • Better Audio System (remember all the complaints on the Boston Acoustics System?)
  • Foot well Lighting and LED lighting(my car had none)
  • Backup Camera (well available, but was it standard on the 2SS?)
  • Push button start, keyless entry and keyless trunk

Just some of the small things I can think of off the top of my head.

There are good deals to be had. Out the door I paid $44,000 and some change for my 2SS with an automatic, sunroof, NPP, nav, black wheels, and black bowties. Because I had a trade in and put money down, my out the door price after down payment was around $40,000.

I'm not trying to convince you that the 2SS is an AWESOME EPIC DEAL. But you do get quality components that simply weren't available on the 5th gen or weren't as well executed. If you want an awesome epic deal, buy used. Used car prices make all these arguments invalid.
All excellent points and I agree with you. I don't think anyone thinks this car is not worth the money. The performance, styling and features you get represent a great value. The problem is the cost of entry for a new V8 Camaro is becoming too high for many folks. GM is asking the typical Camaro buyer to stretch financially and swing $600+ per month 6 year loans to pay for these cars.

It would have been nice if GM released a more stripped down version of Camaro SS for the folks that are only interested in the raw driving experience but they are basically using the V6 to serve that purpose now. It is what it is...
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #72
DMcRacerSS

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1
My 1ss with black split spokes, black bow ties, and dual mode exhaust stickered at $40,300. Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas had it on the web site advertised with a dealer discount at $36995. I qualified for a 1k and a $500 discount. The sales manager made a $500 mistake and the finance guy honored it. I paid 35k.
DMcRacerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #73
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
All excellent points and I agree with you. I don't think anyone thinks this car is not worth the money. The performance, styling and features you get represent a great value. The problem is the cost of entry for a new V8 Camaro is becoming too high for many folks. GM is asking the typical Camaro buyer to stretch financially and swing $600+ per month 6 year loans to pay for these cars.

It would have been nice if GM released a more stripped down version of Camaro SS for the folks that are only interested in the raw driving experience but they are basically using the V6 to serve that purpose now. It is what it is...
The 1SS is about stripped down as you would want wouldn't you say? You should be able to find some dealers that are willing to negotiate under MSRP, you would be talking mid 30s for the V8. I think that's pretty fair.

Really when it comes down to it you're talking a few thousand. Going on Chevy's site and building out a 2015 and 2016 1SS comes down to $34,500 vs. $37,295. a $2,795 increase. For $3,000 I think that's a fair increase, personally. But everyone has a different opinion certainly.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #74
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 2016 2SS
Yeah I just built a 2015 as close to my car as possible and it was just about $3k cheaper than my 2016.

But I'll leave this here so you can all see the sweet deal you could of had in 1997

dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #75
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcRacerSS View Post
My 1ss with black split spokes, black bow ties, and dual mode exhaust stickered at $40,300. Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas had it on the web site advertised with a dealer discount at $36995. I qualified for a 1k and a $500 discount. The sales manager made a $500 mistake and the finance guy honored it. I paid 35k.
Nice deal.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #76
raptor5244

Quote:
The 1SS is about stripped down as you would want wouldn't you say? You should be able to find some dealers that are willing to negotiate under MSRP, you would be talking mid 30s for the V8. I think that's pretty fair.

Really when it comes down to it you're talking a few thousand. Going on Chevy's site and building out a 2015 and 2016 1SS comes down to $34,500 vs. $37,295. a $2,795 increase. For $3,000 I think that's a fair increase, personally. But everyone has a different opinion certainly.
Pretty much. I think once we hit end of year and typical rebates and incentives start kicking I will be a buyer. I just know how much these cars depreciate so if I am gonna buy new it has to be a good deal to help absorb some of it.

For reference, when I purchased my 2013 2SS 1LE with NAV, Sunroof and NPP MSRP was 43k, but I paid $38,500 after discounts and incentives. If I do it over again I wouldn't need all the fluff. I am really just after the driving experience, 1SS with NPP and maybe MRC is all I need. I don't even listen to the radio, I just let the exhaust provide the music. :-)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #77
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsFan75 View Post
Yes they are too high. The SS models anyway. I priced out a loaded 2SS 6th gen on Chevy.com. Brembo (front only brakes), ground effects, dual mode etc etc and the MSRP was over $50,000 before dealer markup.

I checked my local Chevy dealer and they have some bare bones SS 6th gens on the lot and the cheapest is around $46,000.
I don't care how much "better" the car is than the previous gen, Chevy has made it too expensive for a significant portion of Americans. Also there seem to be a lot of little issues with this being the first year of the 6th gen and all.

I ended up buying a 2015 1LE from my dealer last month instead of the 6th gen. It had 2SS, RS, Dual Mode etc and paid $39,000 out the door. I can't even imagine what the 2017 1LE is going to cost. My bet is 55-60 grand. Wait and see.
WUT?

A bare bones 2SS is $43,000.00 rounding up. You were not looking at a bare bones car. Even the bare bones 2SS at $43,000 has equipment on it that you can't get on a Mustang unless you option the Mustang to where it is more than or right at the same cost as the bare bones 2SS. You need to go do some actual research on what all comes on the 2SS standard.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #78
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
[QUOTE=HogsFan75;8969244]Yes they are too high. The SS models anyway. I priced out a loaded 2SS 6th gen on Chevy.com. Brembo (front only brakes), ground effects, dual mode etc etc and the MSRP was over $50,000 before dealer markup.

I checked my local Chevy dealer and they have some bare bones SS 6th gens on the lot and the cheapest is around $46,000.
I don't care how much "better" the car is than the previous gen, Chevy has made it too expensive for a significant portion of Americans. Also there seem to be a lot of little issues with this being the first year of the 6th gen and all.

No way a "bare bones SS was $46k.. I got a 2SS Dual Mode exhaust, MRC, Sunroof. Nav and M6 and Black 5 spokes The sticker on that was $46,600. That is far from Bare Bones!!! I left the dealer with the car for under $44k....
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #79
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yeah I just built a 2015 as close to my car as possible and it was just about $3k cheaper than my 2016.

But I'll leave this here so you can all see the sweet deal you could of had in 1997

Too bad the 4th gen was ugly as f$ck. And the v6 today is quicker. So in actuality, the 6th gen is a bargain.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #80
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Too bad the 4th gen was ugly as f$ck. And the v6 today is quicker. So in actuality, the 6th gen is a bargain.
My 2010 1SS/RS Brand new for $32k Was a bargain! A new Camaro is priced....Fair.
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #81
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The V6's saw an even bigger price jump than the SS's.

To get what the 2LT had before, you have to add the lighting package, where before you got the ambient lighting and HUD as part of the 2LT.

I don't think GM wanted people to buy more Camaro's at all, they wanted to make more money on each Camaro.
I think GM wants to move its product image further upscale in general AND building the Camaro on a Cadillac assembly line also forces the Camaro higher. Camaro's with more standard content (ie fewer options) reduces chances for errors overall while needing to maintain Cadillac QC standards. Also premium materials embedded in the Alpha chassis translate to the Camaro.

and they want to make more money per car.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #82
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The problem is the cost of entry for a new V8 Camaro is becoming too high for many folks.
Half of me wants to reply with: "Nobody is entitled to afford whatever they want"...but the other half wants to point out that this is CAFE's doing & the government's regulatory practices...

V8's, even those with good fuel economy, are being regulated out of the market by CAFE standards. The easiest way for a company to reduce the number of V8s sold and help their average fuel economy rating is to charge more. Economics will reduce the number of sales.

No company wants to outright charge you "more just because"...so instead, it appears that GM is "over-contenting" the cars, so it's still a great value for equipment. But those people who just a V8 engine and wheels are hung out to dry.

This is my guess, only...but it would stand to reason to explain the pattern. Remember, too, that GM has more big V8-power performance cars (sold in volume) than other companies, to balance with the rest of its fleet in fuel economy averages...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #83
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:

I suppose when people see prices on cars continually increasing, but prices for a lot of other things we buy drop, they wonder why cars aren't commodities like those.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #84
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Thanks for the bit of nostalgia, I remember those days! In comparison over 22 years later the car is so fairly priced these threads are just plain stupid...

Remember those cars had cloth interior, nothing changed from a standard car. A shift knob and a plaque. Exterior was hood and rear wing, with one exhaust option.

Hell my 01 and 02 SS loaded stickered in the low 30's 14-15 years ago! The fact that you can get the 1SS in the mid 30's today is stunning, and clearly the OP and others havent been purchasers of the brand for long if they are complaining about pricing and options now.....
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote