Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-27-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Studio RSR

Has anyone dealt with this company recently? I'm about to order a custom roll cage from them and for some reason I'm getting a little nervous. They've quoted me a incredibly good price, but are saying between 8 and 14 weeks to deliver! Why does it take that long?

Most credit card companies will only honour their protection policies 60 days from date of transaction. It all just seems weird to me, even though I've seen a bunch of video on YouTube and the website looks authentic.

Nervous before pulling the trigger on $3K 🤔
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE View Post
Has anyone dealt with this company recently? I'm about to order a custom roll cage from them and for some reason I'm getting a little nervous. They've quoted me a incredibly good price, but are saying between 8 and 14 weeks to deliver! Why does it take that long?

Most credit card companies will only honour their protection policies 60 days from date of transaction. It all just seems weird to me, even though I've seen a bunch of video on YouTube and the website looks authentic.

I don't know this company but its probably custom made, put together etc. Not like they have them sitting on a shelf waiting to ship. Also, most card companies are 120days to file a dispute/chargeback.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:

Will never understand why it is taking companies so long to build/manufacturer products. Is that all they do? If so, it should not take them 2-3 months, IMHO. Why can't they take a small "non refundable" deposit and bill you the rest when it is ready to ship.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:

Everything, & I mean everything is slow right now. Not that that wasn’t the wait time prior to the COVID madness, but it especially is now.

As for CC purchasing goes, we sell a product that the wait time was generally 1 1/2 months & we received full payment in advance as it was a custom order & the manufacturer requires full payment up front. Well, our CC processor contacts us & says we can’t do that bla bla bla.

Wanna know what we did? We canceled our contract & stopped taking credit cards. Now to order that product we only accept a check or money transfer. I’m not going to be on the hook for a $15k product because of some fine print.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #5
mblum

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
Another possible reason is material supply. The tubing market right now is absolutely absurd. I own a manufacturing company and buy alot of DOM tubing, orders we have placed in March still havnt been delivered. Steel mill lead times for new orders on certain items are late 2021. An aluminum plate mill we buy from is not accepting new orders until 1st quarter of 2022.

Basically what happened is the sudden shutdown in manufacturing last year because of covid left alot of suppliers with a surplus of material. Sales shut off very quickly so the material sat there, looking at a surplus of inventory the mills began to shut down production. Then when thing picked back up, it also happened quickly and depleted inventory, leaving the mills scrambling to catch back up.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
G61LE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 // 1LE
Quote:

A friend of mine purchased their roll cage, and if I remember correctly, what was supposed to take 2 to 4 weeks, ended up taking ALLOT longer. Along with a lack of communication on their part, left a very bad taste in his mouth. I believe he even contacted American Express to dispute the charge and ended up getting the cage, but only after Amex got involved, but I believe it took substantially longer than promised.
G61LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #7
PROMETHEUS

How long are we going to continue to accept COVID as a BS excuse for piss poor customer service! It is getting old, fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
Crushed 1LE

Thanks for the input. Google reviews are mostly excellent with a splattering of very upset customers - mostly who purchased cages lol.

I spoke to RSR on Friday. I ended up getting a very very good deal speaking to Dillon, who gave me his personal cell # after I discussed my concerns. Being in Canada is also a problem, as it can be difficult to convince vendors to ship heavy or large items here. If they do agree to ship, the cost is usually rediculous and makes the purchase unobtainable.

I'm in no hurry, so my expectations for on time delivery are not as important as getting exactly what I want at a fantastic price. I've learned to be patient.

Time will tell, and I'll post updates.

Last edited by Crushed 1LE; 05-30-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
PROMETHEUS

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Google reviews are mostly excellent with a splattering of very upset customers - mostly who purchased cages lol.

I spoke to RSR on Friday. I ended up getting a very very good deal speaking to Dillon, who gave me his personal cell # after I discussed my concerns. Being in Canada is also a problem, as it can be difficult to convince vendors to ship heavy or large items here. If they do agree to ship, the cost is usually rediculous and makes the purchase unobtainable.

I'm in no hurry, so my expectations for on time delivery are not as important as getting exactly what I want at a fantastic price. I've learned to be patient.

Time will tell, and I'll post updates.
Wow!! Read some of those cage reviews.....don't think I would have done business with these guys, regardless of the "great" price. Good luck and hope you get the cage!! Keep us posted.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
Another possible reason is material supply. The tubing market right now is absolutely absurd. I own a manufacturing company and buy alot of DOM tubing, orders we have placed in March still havnt been delivered. Steel mill lead times for new orders on certain items are late 2021. An aluminum plate mill we buy from is not accepting new orders until 1st quarter of 2022.

Basically what happened is the sudden shutdown in manufacturing last year because of covid left alot of suppliers with a surplus of material. Sales shut off very quickly so the material sat there, looking at a surplus of inventory the mills began to shut down production. Then when thing picked back up, it also happened quickly and depleted inventory, leaving the mills scrambling to catch back up.
^^^ This for sure. Quoting 8-14 is a sure sign they don’t stock the tube to do the job at time of order. Guarantee they order from China or elsewhere overseas afteryou pay. Expect that 8-14 will go up too. There’s a shortage of containers right now required for most tubing to be loaded on container ships. Cargo hasn’t been moving for months from China. It’s just loading up at the docks and ports. It will take months just to get rid of that backlog.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
Crushed 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Wow!! Read some of those cage reviews.....don't think I would have done business with these guys, regardless of the "great" price. Good luck and hope you get the cage!! Keep us posted.

Yeah, some are pretty brutal. Like I said, it's worth the risk for me. Small deposit and I'm patient. Tick tock, tick tock.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #12
G61LE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 // 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
^^^ This for sure. Quoting 8-14 is a sure sign they don’t stock the tube to do the job at time of order. Guarantee they order from China or elsewhere overseas afteryou pay. Expect that 8-14 will go up too. There’s a shortage of containers right now required for most tubing to be loaded on container ships. Cargo hasn’t been moving for months from China. It’s just loading up at the docks and ports. It will take months just to get rid of that backlog.
When my buddy bought his cage, it was pre-covid. I would have to ask him to confirm, but I believe he ordered his around April 2019, and finally got it around August/September
G61LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I have one. While the bar itself seems like good quality, it mounts horribly in the car. If you want a showpiece, go for it. If you want a bar that will actually protect you in a rollover, get a custom weld/bolt in from a local fabricator. I would not buy it again.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #14
hooligan317

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I ordered my "cage" from StudioRSR on October 21st, 2020. It arrived on February 11th, 2021... damaged. Not mangled/bent/dented, but the packaging wasn't sufficient to protect it in transit and so it had a bunch of fairly significant gouges in the paint. Communication was less than stellar during the Feb-Oct wait, but sadly the communication got even worse after I tried to notify StudioRSR of the damage.

It's May 30th, and I've still received literally nothing other than, "We've filed a claim, it takes 60-90 days." I was determined to get the thing in the car for the start of the season, so I had it re-painted and moved on. Second thing that I'd mention is that StudioRSR had agreed to add an additional mounting hole to be SCCA compliant, and of course it showed up with their standard two holes on each leg.

I wouldn't order it again, but it looks slick as it's set up right now. I hate even calling it a "Cage" though, it's more of a fancy harness bar. I hope your experience is better than mine was! And yes, sadly I was working with Dillon as well. Good luck man!
hooligan317 is offline   Reply With Quote