Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Shooter_X

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6MT
Trailer Equipment

Hey everyone,

I usually drive to events, but this summer I picked up a 24' enclosed trailer.

I was wondering for the guys who are towing enclosed are you running weight distribution / anti sway hitches?

I'm pulling with a 2016 GMC 2500HD, but most of my experience is pulling open, flat deck, or utility trailers and equipment. So I am trying to figure out what works and doesn't before my trip to Watkins Glen in a couple weeks.

Thanks for any input!

2018 ZL1 | RotoFab Intake | Apex ARC-8 Wheels 3R tires
Shooter_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I have a 30 ft enclosed. Definitely go with the weight dist. hitch. I've never had a sway problem. I just load the car as far forward as I can. The front bumper of my (4200 lb) Impala SS and/or (3500 lb) Caprice sit about 6/8' from the front wall of the trailer (due to the cabinets).

2500HD shouldn't be a problem. You might want some air bags on the rear springs though to help level it out better. I put them on my 05 K3500 and they really help. Then again, lighter trailer and car, so you may not need them.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
I tow my 24' all over the country with 2500's, zero need for WD hitch in my experience.. I absolutely need it if I try to tow the same trailer with a half ton truck, but the 3/4 tons dont need it. My setup is 9-10k full loaded.

Number one tip for trailer people- Get yourself a Trailer aide (little drive on block for changing blown trailer tires... Makes life easy.
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Shooter_X

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6MT
So I found a WD hitch local for pretty cheap - this is my first go at it so we will see. I keep 2x4 and 4x4 for drive on to change tires good tip I got earlier. I'll post up my results when I get back from my trip up to the Glen.

2018 ZL1 | RotoFab Intake | Apex ARC-8 Wheels 3R tires
Shooter_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
Crawdog450

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I second UrbanKnights comment. I pulled a 24ft enclosed at 10k lbs no weight distribution hitche with zero issues back and forth across the country a few times Florida to California. A 150/1500 yea I would think about it more!!!
Crawdog450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
I tow my 24' all over the country with 2500's, zero need for WD hitch in my experience.. I absolutely need it if I try to tow the same trailer with a half ton truck, but the 3/4 tons dont need it. My setup is 9-10k full loaded.

Number one tip for trailer people- Get yourself a Trailer aide (little drive on block for changing blown trailer tires... Makes life easy.
Depends on the age of the truck. My 3/4 ton needs a WD hitch for 12k, doesn't need it for 7.5k though. It tows a LOT better with it when doing 12k conventional though. When setup correctly it forces enough weight back onto the trailer axles and has prevented sway in most cases for me. I've been able to make it sway by trying to make it sway when testing so I'm not sure emergency handling will be all that much better though............ I'll be replacing the truck next year probably but mostly for diesel fuel economy.. flat land with the 30' = 5-6mpg with the 8.1L gasser. Also, if you care, check local laws. There may be some areas with law that are going to require you to use a WD hitch to be legal. Likely not an issue generally as I doubt most cops care but I could see an insurance company using it to deny a claim. Even without laws if the owners manual says you need one for over Xlbs and you don't use one and get in a wreck, that's still grounds for insurance to deny the claim. Has it happened? I'm sure.. how often? no idea.....

Just don't use the trailer aide anywhere you care about the surface area though.... I have one sitting in my truck but I also bring some of the old school good rhino ramps to use anywhere there's a surface I care about. With the 30' enclosed I find too many places to put too much crap..
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer, zl1